Talents you wish you had.

Able Seacat

Jun 18, 2012
Any talent really, I just wish I had one. I think the talent fairy forgot to visit me.

I really would love to play the piano. I'm afraid that if I try to learn I'll just give up. Stupid brain of mine.

ViridianV6

Sep 15, 2013
I wish I could play piano or guitar, or have sleight of hand.

That being said, being able to cook is awesome for my wallet and practical.

dementis

Aug 28, 2009
I wish I could draw, I've always been told that if you practise enough you'll get better but I've been trying to improve my abilities for almost 10 years and there's no improvement in any of my attempts. I tend to stick with sketching now as it hides the mistakes and lack of detail in what I do, can never get perspective or proportions right either.

I think the only thing I have that approaches an actual talent is my ability to retain ridiculously minute details about fandoms that I enjoy and strategic planning, I seem to have a natural ability to observe a situation and solve a quick and efficient way to get through it. That started when I was a kid climbing tress, would just stand there for 30 seconds planning out how I'd do it and that's extended to things like paintball and D&D, my DM gets annoyed with how I tend to find easy solutions to defeating his more difficult enemies by telling my party members what to do.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I've got capable drawing skills, I just wish I was better.

I still need to adjust the images I have in my head in order to get them on paper with my current skill, and it can be frustrating.

So I have a decent talent, but my wish for it to be better keeps me from enjoying it most of the time.

SamuraiFromHell

Oct 28, 2013
From my experience everything can be learned if I push myself beyond the first failed attempts, but the one thing that can not be changed so easily is personality, I wish I had more people skills.

Knows_Nothing

Sep 24, 2013
It seems most people here want to sing or play an instrument, but I've got those basically down. Mine is a bit more... childish, shall we say? I wish I could sword fight. Maybe take up fencing or something I don't know, but for some silly reason I am really bummed that there isn't a real opportunity for me to properly learn how to handle a sword.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
I wish I had talent in playing electric guitar. I would love to be in a small amateur garage band or something. But alas, my talents lie in rhythm and drumming, yet I realized that way too late and now I don't want to take up lessons for that any more. I don't even have the money for it any more. ^^;;

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Vausch said:
Well like over half the people here, I wish I could sing.

Is singing something you can learn or do you just have to be naturally good at it? I never figured that out.
The way I see it, you can have the potential for good singing or lack it, but if you do have talent you still have to practice.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
I wish I could draw. There isn't a day that goes by where I sit at my computer typing, and think "you know, this story would go very well in a graphic novel!" and then I remember I can't draw at all, and get a little sad ._. Luckily, I do have a girlfriend who can draw (even if I don't always like the style), and she's actually the person who drew my profile picture, and my youtube banner.

As for a talent I already do have, I believe I just mentioned it. My main talent is writing. It's something discovered in 2nd grade where I wrote my first 100 page novel and read it to my class. Ever since (up until high school where no one gave a shit who I was or if I even existed) I was known as that "kid who wrote books" since no one else in my school seemed to have the drive or patience to do so.

jake557

May 30, 2008
AnthrSolidSnake said:
I wrote my first 100 page novel and read it to my class.
100 pages in 2nd grade? That's dedication I'm sure I didn't have at that age.

Talents I have: I can draw. I used to have a knack for climbing.
Talents I'd like: To be a decent cook. To be able to speak a second language (7 years of French, 2 years of German,
and a year of Latin all fell out of my head the moment I left school). To be able to program/code.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Talnets I have: I can draw, animate, dance professionally, and write. I'm also really good at making friends/starting a conversation if that can be considered a talent.

Talents I wish I had: Easy math solving skills.
Math is literally the bane of my existence, I'd kill a man just to solve one problem in a flash without struggling to solve for an hour. And then I get the answer wrong...
Also guitar. I love listening to guitars, if only I had the time to learn.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
sky14kemea said:
I wish I could sing. Like really, really sing. Those beautiful high ballads that people cry over when they're sad. ;_;

I'm considering singing lessons, but they're mega expensive, and I don't have the confidence to reach that level, but I'd like to try.

Other than that, I don't have any other actual talent. I can doodle okay, and I'm pretty good with a paintbrush (painting walls and houses, mind you. I have 0 talent with a canvas.)

Still, singing is definitely the one talent I'd want to have the most.
I was watching the Game Grumps AMA, and Danny reminded me (due to one of the questions asked) that there are a ton of free/cheap online coaches, and that going from coach to coach, learning things from all of them is a great way to start.

OT: Singing, as above. I would also love to learn to draw.

A more niche one is I wish I could whittle better. I can make a whistle, but that's about it.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I guess I wish I had any kind of musical talent. I would love to play either piano, guitar or violin and if I could sing a little better that would be grand. Sadly I have poor lung capacity so singing will never be within my reach.

Talents I have... I can multiply really high numbers with 6 without the need for a calculator. Useless skill.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
sky14kemea said:
I wish I could sing. Like really, really sing. Those beautiful high ballads that people cry over when they're sad. ;_;

I'm considering singing lessons, but they're mega expensive, and I don't have the confidence to reach that level, but I'd like to try.

Other than that, I don't have any other actual talent. I can doodle okay, and I'm pretty good with a paintbrush (painting walls and houses, mind you. I have 0 talent with a canvas.)

Still, singing is definitely the one talent I'd want to have the most.
Try to find someone you know who can and see if they'll coach you a bit. They can probably be able to teach you the fundamentals.

The only reason I'm able to sing is because of my grandfather teaching me, so don't ever underestimate someone's tips!

zerragonoss

Oct 15, 2009
Knows_Nothing said:
It seems most people here want to sing or play an instrument, but I've got those basically down. Mine is a bit more... childish, shall we say? I wish I could sword fight. Maybe take up fencing or something I don't know, but for some silly reason I am really bummed that there isn't a real opportunity for me to properly learn how to handle a sword.
Actually European martial arts are having quite the resurgence. Their is a small chance of their being a school near you. I only know the location of the one closeish it me in san jose Ca, on the off chance you in the area you can ask about it. If not you can try "the beginener's guide to the long sword" by steaphen fick or "The Swordman's Companion: A Modern Training Manual for the Medieval Longsword" by guy windsor. The books aren't the Best way, but if you have a friend who will work with you they do come with lots a pictures and instructions that are not hard to fallow.

Kuilui

Apr 1, 2010
I suppose the ability to draw would be a pretty cool talent to have. As it is I can't draw a straight line with a ruler.

Talents I do have would be I used to play the Cello really well. This was when I was still in elementary school I'm 24 now. I'll never forget my music teacher begging me to never quit playing the Cello because I was so good at it. This was right at the end of Elementary school when I was going to middle school. Of course I did quit because I was bored of it and didn't really care at all I had and pretty much didn't even think about Cello for a really long time after that. My mother actually has a record of her playing the Cello. That was actually sold in stores back when she used to play in her younger days. My dad was a really good saxophonist who was asked to play with major bands in the city as a kid, he never did it. Guess musical ability runs in the family. I think I'd pick it back up if you could actually make money at it, but I don't live in California so no point in that.

ChanTheNoob

Dec 6, 2011
Art has always been something I've wanted to be good at. I gave digital painting a go over last summer, and although I wasn't bad at it, I just didn't feel naturally skilled at it. I might link some things I've done down below. I've also wanted to be good at music. As someone's who plays 4 musical instruments, 2 of which are above grade 6 standard, I've never actually been good at it, just scraping passes every single exam.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Hazy said:
Try to find someone you know who can and see if they'll coach you a bit. They can probably be able to teach you the fundamentals.

The only reason I'm able to sing is because of my grandfather teaching me, so don't ever underestimate someone's tips!
No one else in my family can sing ;o;

I do take whatever tips I can, and I try to copy techniques that singers use. I learned the vibrato thing all on my own, but I'm just not that good overall.

S'why I feel I need a professional instead of online lessons. I've self-taught all that I can.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Above all else, drawing is something that I would like to have under my belt.

I don't deny that with enough practice I might become a decent artist, but I want to be able to animate awesome characters or do ridiculous actions and fight scenes.