Tales from the Table: Chapter 3: A Tale of a Girlfriend

etherlance

Apr 1, 2009
KingKamor said:
I'm just starting to find this insulting. D&D players are usually depicted as-- and believed by the general public to be-- socially inept people trapped in their own fantasies, and that is exactly what you guys are doing. Relying on the big joke that everyone already knows is not very impressive. I think this show would be so much better if it stopped making fun of the players as people and instead added some in-campaign shenanigans that might actually be interesting.

As I said in my first comment on this series in episode 1, I can see the work that you guys put into this, and it's great, to be honest. But I think that a new direction would be nice because as a D&D player, I feel like I've been cheated out of a series that could have been about people who understand me instead of people created to mock me.

/rant
If you go onto youtube there is a great series called "The Gamers" it's a really funny vid (they made two) the first one is good but the second is better (in my opinion), just bear with it for a few minutes as the acting kicks off and I swear you'll be hooked in seconds.

thisbymaster

Sep 10, 2008
I juts can't bring myself to finish watching these videos. I dunno they cut to close to home I guess.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
I like how the random door suddenly appears in the fantasy world.

Definite improvement from last week I think.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
This show would really benefit from subtitles.
"You guys are weed..."
They are marijuana? Wait... Oh! They're "weird!" Ah yes. He just skipped the "r" in the word.

I understand there are probably many people over the drink who find their thick accents both understandable and appealing, but I CAN'T UNDERSTAND A WORD THEY SAY.

Also, they overact so much it hurts my brain.

Also the show sucks. Just sayin'.

LitleWaffle

Jan 9, 2010
*High Fives All of Existence for sweet Keyblade*

And also, that is just such a bitchy girlfriend.

KingKamor

Jul 8, 2008
etherlance said:
If you go onto youtube there is a great series called "The Gamers" it's a really funny vid (they made two) the first one is good but the second is better (in my opinion), just bear with it for a few minutes as the acting kicks off and I swear you'll be hooked in seconds.
Thanks. I'll take a look!

kmw_88

Nov 4, 2010
Whirling dervish made me laugh really haaaaard. Hehehe what a sexy man beast.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Some continuity would be great, but it's still an excellent show. I'm eager for next week.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
Irridium said:
When you steal someone's chocolate... well then it is officially on.
Especially from a woman. And then call her fat?
I sense murder in the next episode
Also, did see knock out the DM with a single punch? Why the hell is she not RPing as the tank?
Susan Arendt said:
Irridium said:
When you steal someone's chocolate... well then it is officially on.
This is truth. TRUTH!
Damn ninjas..must have failed the perception check

WhedonofOz

Nov 3, 2010
SPECIAL BEAM CANNON!!! Brilliant episode! Laughed the whole way through. The characters are really starting to flesh out a bit. Great work. :D

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
This is still an iffy series for me. There are some things I genuinely like, I really enjoy the duality between the real and fantasy world, I just don't think we see enough of the fantasy world.

We still know little to anything about the main characters. You've already introduced two new characters and tossed them out just as quickly as they came in. We have yet to see any true characterization from any of the main characters. I can see some real clever things to do, like the elf hunter guy is quick witted in real life as he is in the fantasy, and the warrior dude is as slow as well. Or even switch it up, instead making the elf hunter slow-witted in real life and the warrior dude a fast wise-cracker, could show how they want to escape reality or something.

Let us know the characters first. How are we supposed to know that Cewendywn (or howeverthehell you spell it) loves chocolate (***** stole her chocolate, after all)? how did the guy get a girlfriend in the first place? And for that matter, if the girlfriend was a *****, why would she be there in the first place?

And what of the fantasy world? It's okay if it's "generic fantasy setting #532", but are there any villages in there? Towns? Other NPCs? I don't expect this series to really go that far, I don't think it has that much production values, but it'd be an interesting situation.

Overall, I just don't feel it. There are a ton of good ideas in this series but I get the feeling that they're being restrained in favor of safer, more easy situations.

Also, if you can, try to back up and get a bit more room to capture more of the person on camera. It feels like you're trying to squeeze them into the camera, so when it shows the forest it feels unnecessarily cramped. Get some bigger shots in there if that's possible for your equipment, but that's a minor grievance.

Again, I say all this because I want this series to improve. I see an enormous amount of potential that I want tapped, I'm just afraid that it won't be utilized.

And that Keyblade was awesome, wouldn't mind some odd crossovers from things that shouldn't belong. Could be a scavenger hunt!

thelastone

Nov 4, 2010
I really enjoyed this episode. I love how crass Rufus is - "Forget Thordin and the boobs!" That girlfriend ***** is such a *****. She has the bitchiest eyebrow *****-twitch I've ever seen! Ha, when she says "I hate that thing..." so good. Now she is a character I love to hate!

I also thought the girl who played Ceredwyn's acting was really good - she was almost crying at the end! Poor little paper princess.

And that dramatic moment when Thordin get left behind. He looks so adorable. Ah, I'm really getting into this series!