Tales from the Table: Chapter 3: A Tale of a Girlfriend

Lenin211

Apr 22, 2011
You don't steal chocolate. Anyway, the show is great and I plan on watching it next week.

thelastone

Nov 4, 2010
Harry Mason said:
This show would really benefit from subtitles.
"You guys are weed..."
They are marijuana? Wait... Oh! They're "weird!" Ah yes. He just skipped the "r" in the word.

I understand there are probably many people over the drink who find their thick accents both understandable and appealing, but I CAN'T UNDERSTAND A WORD THEY SAY.
You should really get out there and experience media from more places. As far as Aussie accents go theirs aren't even that thick. It's not their fault you've never been exposed to anything other than (I'm assuming) American accents.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
thelastone said:
Harry Mason said:
This show would really benefit from subtitles.
"You guys are weed..."
They are marijuana? Wait... Oh! They're "weird!" Ah yes. He just skipped the "r" in the word.

I understand there are probably many people over the drink who find their thick accents both understandable and appealing, but I CAN'T UNDERSTAND A WORD THEY SAY.
You should really get out there and experience media from more places. As far as Aussie accents go theirs aren't even that thick. It's not their fault you've never been exposed to anything other than (I'm assuming) American accents.
Don't assume things. It's bad for your health.
I speak English, Spanish and German, have spent time overseas studying other languages for study abroad, have Japanese immigrant friends, and live in an apartment complex with Fins, Mexicans, and Hmong, all of whom have English as their second language.

I can grok some pretty thick accents and dialects, and I don't think my making fun of some terrible Aussie actors who really slowly over-enunciate their lines gives you leave to insult me.

thelastone

Nov 4, 2010
Harry Mason said:
I speak English, Spanish and German, have spent time overseas studying other languages for study abroad, have Japanese immigrant friends, and live in an apartment complex with Fins, Mexicans, and Hmong, all of whom have English as their second language.

I can grok some pretty thick accents and dialects, and I don't think my making fun of some terrible Aussie actors who really slowly over-enunciate their lines gives you leave to insult me.
Fair enough and good on you for having those life experiences - but surely then you have no excuse for not understanding these accents. As I wrote earlier, they're not that thick. "Kath & Kim" is the first example that pops into my head. (Don't look at the U.S. version. It doesn't translate.)
And if the actors do, as you say, over-enunciate, then wouldn't that mean that you can understand them more easily?
As for the Rs, the English who invented the language don't overpronounce them like those in the U.S. and Canada do.
Maybe you just need more exposure to Australian material. Look up Chris Lilley - his show "Summer Heights High" is really good Aussie comedy.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
thelastone said:
Harry Mason said:

Fair enough and good on you for having those life experiences - but surely then you have no excuse for not understanding these accents. As I wrote earlier, they're not that thick. "Kath & Kim" is the first example that pops into my head. (Don't look at the U.S. version. It doesn't translate.)
And if the actors do, as you say, over-enunciate, then wouldn't that mean that you can understand them more easily?
As for the Rs, the English who invented the language don't overpronounce them like those in the U.S. and Canada do.
Maybe you just need more exposure to Australian material. Look up Chris Lilley - his show "Summer Heights High" is really good Aussie comedy.
It's the over-enunciation itself that makes it impossible to understand these people. I grew up on late night BBC, I love Chris Lilley (mostly his stand up), and I can even watch the original dub of Mad Max and keep up. These actors emphasize their lines into an oblivion. In Australian, English, and even to a certain extent Irish and Scottish accents, there is a "soft 'R'". These people don't use soft "R's," they just don't use them at all.
They sound like goofy stereotypes. They might as well run around saying "G'Day" and babbling about putting things on the Barbie.

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
This show rocks! I loved the pilot, and have loved every episode in the series thus far. Keep up the great works guys and ladies. This was the best episode yet! The punchline was dead on, and the whole thing is just amazingly hilarious.

thelastone

Nov 4, 2010
Harry Mason said:
thelastone said:
Harry Mason said:

It's the over-enunciation itself that makes it impossible to understand these people. I grew up on late night BBC, I love Chris Lilley (mostly his stand up), and I can even watch the original dub of Mad Max and keep up. These actors emphasize their lines into an oblivion. In Australian, English, and even to a certain extent Irish and Scottish accents, there is a "soft 'R'". These people don't use soft "R's," they just don't use them at all.
They sound like goofy stereotypes. They might as well run around saying "G'Day" and babbling about putting things on the Barbie.
I am an Australian and that is how we talk. This is exactly how the people I know speak, and I am not by any means a bogan stereotype.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
thelastone said:
Harry Mason said:
thelastone said:
Harry Mason said:

I am an Australian and that is how we talk. This is exactly how the people I know speak, and I am not by any means a bogan stereotype.
Then maybe it's just the dismal acting. XD
There's just something cartoony about the way they speak that I find very difficult to keep up with. But if this is how y'all speak over the deep blue, I stand corrected. I guess I'm just "weed."

Captcha sez: "Historical 1850". What happened that year, I wonder?

The Lady

Feb 28, 2010
ah! the hardships of being the only gaming girl in the room. I know this feeling well. Well done on this series, very well made and funny. I look always look forward to it.

Tower 87

Oct 14, 2010
Harry Mason said:
Then maybe it's just the dismal acting. XD
There's just something cartoony about the way they speak that I find very difficult to keep up with. But if this is how y'all speak over the deep blue, I stand corrected. I guess I'm just "weed."
You are funny. Its like you and 'thelastone' are having a heated "Step Up" style street battle, they are telling you that its just how they speak and you are telling them that they are a linguistic anomaly, as you have the "babel fish" like phonic understanding of sound and their lack of audible 'r's to you is in some way inconceivable and by the sounds of thing offensive as well. Enjoy the strange way they talk, its just different and part of what make other countries so much fun.

Harry Mason said:
What did happen in that year? No seriously What?

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
Tower 87 said:
Enjoy the strange way they talk, its just different and part of what make other countries so much fun.
It's just... They sound like cartoon characters and I refuse to believe it's just some Aussie accent I haven't heard before! I can accept that there are dialects in the world that I haven't experienced, I just can't accept that there are people who speak like the guy in the Outback Steakhouse ads! But, like I said, I stand corrected.

Tower 87 said:
Harry Mason said:
What did happen in that year? No seriously What?
The curiosity has started to eat me alive, so I found a list.
http://www.historyorb.com/events/date/1850
The first medical school for women was established. That's pretty cool.
Also, the Navy abolished flogging as punishment. Awe... How un-kinky of them...

thelastone

Nov 4, 2010
Harry Mason said:
Tower 87 said:
Enjoy the strange way they talk, its just different and part of what make other countries so much fun.
It's just... They sound like cartoon characters and I refuse to believe it's just some Aussie accent I haven't heard before! I can accept that there are dialects in the world that I haven't experienced, I just can't accept that there are people who speak like the guy in the Outback Steakhouse ads! But, like I said, I stand corrected.
You refuse to believe there are Aussie accents you haven't heard before? I have lived here my whole life and there are still ways of speaking Australian English that I haven't heard! There are so many slight differences. I can tell if someone is from Adelaide by the way they speak. Perhaps it wouldn't be obvious to a foreigner (when I was in the U.S. everyone thought that I was English, and my English friend was Australian,) but I can tell. Even within the suburbs of Melbourne there are big differences - listen around in Toorak and you'll get something quite different than you would in Frankston.

Here are some more real Australians for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBBsb0z9RJk
http://youtu.be/f_KhErNyiq8 Rachel Hurd-Wood, the redhead, is English but does a great job with the accent. The rest are genuine Australian.

If you still think the Tales From The Table cast are too ocker, perhaps you should revisit Steve Irwin.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
thelastone said:
You refuse to believe there are Aussie accents you haven't heard before?
No. That's not what I said. I said that I refused to believe that there was an Aussie accent I hadn't heard before that also sounded like a parody of the guy from the Outback Steakhouse ads.

It's like if there was a show produced out of the American Southeast (where I live) where all the actors talked like Deputy Dog from a Hanna Barbera cartoon...

"Whull, hoooowDEE thur mistur cowpoke! *hyuk* Gidda-long little dogies! I ain't seen a face like yurs 'round these parts fer ages!"

While it is perfectly true that I live around people who LITERALLY SPEAK LIKE THAT, I would venture to say that your first reaction would not be "My, what an interesting and unique dialect!" But instead "What the shit? These people sound like bad stereotypes!" That doesn't make you criminally uneducated in the ways of American accents, it just means you are capable of drawing parallels between a particularly outlandish accent and the stereotypes your society has about people from the region the accent originated in.

So, basically, yes! I am fully conceding to your point, There are hundreds of dialects from every language and I sure each CITY in Australia has its own unique blend of accents and colloquialisms. The only point that I was trying to make is that these actor's particular accents sound VERY MUCH like Americans sound when they are making fun of or imitating Australian people. The level to which it sounded like a stereotype that American people have about Australians was distracting to me, and I found it difficult to follow. I by no means meant to insult your, frankly, fucking awesome country or suggest that I am an all knowing king of accents who has heard all there is to hear.

I was just trying to insult these shoddy actors. They don't sound like Steve Irwin. They sound like my Yankee friends doing an impersonation of Steve Irwin.

thelastone

Nov 4, 2010
Harry Mason said:
They don't sound like Steve Irwin. They sound like my Yankee friends doing an impersonation of Steve Irwin.
I've heard far worse-sounding bad Aussie accents. Take the guy on the episode of The Simpsons for example. Hey, you want a laugh, listen to our Prime Minister talk!

Freshskills

Nov 2, 2010
thelastone said:
Harry Mason said:
They don't sound like Steve Irwin. They sound like my Yankee friends doing an impersonation of Steve Irwin.
I've heard far worse-sounding bad Aussie accents. Take the guy on the episode of The Simpsons for example. Hey, you want a laugh, listen to our Prime Minister talk!
you 2 should get a room...

Tower 87

Oct 14, 2010
Freshskills said:
thelastone said:
Harry Mason said:
you 2 should get a room...
You three should get a room......