Tales of terror on the Zee, (open spoilers for Sunless Sea)

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Silentpony said:
Are you sure about the map? Like yes, the physical location of each island stays the same, but I distinctly remember getting the same quest two Captains in a row, and the location on the island, say Bill's Landing, was different each time. One play-though Bill's Landing is in the southwest corner, the next play through Bill's Landing is center north.

I remember being lost each and every time because the islands were the same, but what's on the island, with the exception of the lighthouse with the strange ladies just outside the starting dock, was always different.
The map is semi-randomized, in that the locations are in the same general quadrants, but are moved around inside said quadrants. The map below shows the layout of the quadrants, so you can always expect to find Mt. Palmerston and the Chapel of Light in the north, but in one playthrough Palmerston might be really close to Whither and the next right by Irem:

A more in-depth explanation can be found here [https://sunlesssea.gamepedia.com/Map].

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
So, is this "captain's log" stuff doing anything for anybody?

Or is my half-remembered-fan-fictionized retelling of mostly other people's stories mixed with my own in-game experiences nothing but a pointless exercise in wankery?

Cause I've got at least six more, including a story of fratricidal cannibalism, satanic pacts with happy endings, satanic friendships with bittersweet endings and a certain Captain who's ship's engine was partially powered by the body and soul of the engine's own maker.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
jademunky said:

Or is my half-remembered-fan-fictionized retelling of mostly other people's stories mixed with my own in-game experiences nothing but a pointless exercise in wankery?

Cause I've got at least six more, including a story of fratricidal cannibalism, satanic pacts with happy endings, satanic friendships with bittersweet endings and a certain Captain who's ship's engine was partially powered by the body and soul of the engine's own maker.
it makes me want to replay it. But I haven't yet. Soo... That probably doesn't help. Also, I do remember getting the moth and that being an epic achievement. I think one objective was to kill the hardest creature. By throwing a monster hunter at it. Also, making the Scholar mad (I think I burned his eyes out)

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
jademunky said:
Well, I started playing again because of you. I don't remember when I stopped but it was apparently mid-adventure (it seems I was doing pretty well, surprisingly). I don't think I'll write anything because I suck at it (I managed to doom the guinea pig civilization, yay me!), but you should continue.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Major_Tom said:
jademunky said:
Well, I started playing again because of you. I don't remember when I stopped but it was apparently mid-adventure (it seems I was doing pretty well, surprisingly). I don't think I'll write anything because I suck at it (I managed to doom the guinea pig civilization, yay me!), but you should continue.
Yeah, I've done that too. So sad, I tried to rally them into declaring independence only to leave and come back to find they were all dead. And it was ALL MY (and your) FAULT!

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Captain's Log:

You do tend to find friendship in the strangest places. Places like, for example, a cottage halfway up the side of an active volcano.

The locals of Mt. Palmerston tend to be a cagey lot. They make a living mining coal off the mountainside but are very careful to stay close to the base. They fear a Devil lives further up the mountain and that this creature collects human souls. They are right.

Trekking up the mountain path, I hesitantly knocked on the door and yes, a Deviless answered (they look mostly human but with glowing red/yellow eyes and smell of sulphur). To my surprise, she was quite approachable, friendly and downright grateful for the opportunity to sit down for tea with someone else and just talk for a while. I told her a little of home, how things were faring in London, and eventually left with a rather improved impression of the race.

I would routinely stop by Mt. Palmerston for fuel on every run anyway so I made it a habit to pay her a visit when I did. The tea was always good and she was ever-eager for more information regarding the political happenings back home, particularly as it related to the embassy the forces of Hell had established in my hometown. She told me that she had been a member of Hell's aristocratic class until a few years back when the lower-class rabble had overthrown the existing order, declared Hell an "Iron Republic" and forced the upper-classes to flee.

On one particular visit, I noticed her fidgiting in her seat and asked if anything was the matter. She explained, very hesitantly that she was simply homesick and wanted something to remind her of her old life. Specifically, she wanted my soul. All souls belong to hell by right anyway, she reasoned, and mine seemed like a good one (flatterer).

Well, I had just wrestled my own sould back into my own body from a particularly flatulent ape and had grown somewhat attached to it. I politely explained my reservations and she quickly laughed it off, saying she knew I would say no and that no offense was taken.

I think I will pick up a crate of souls in London (they're fairly affordable) to surprise her with on my next visit.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
jademunky said:
Yeah, I've done that too. So sad, I tried to rally them into declaring independence only to find they were all dead. And it was ALL MY FAULT!
Yeah, I didn't really like the suggested allies. I thought that weak and unexceptional but happy civilization would prevail. I should've drawn and quartered more poor food thieves!

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Major_Tom said:
jademunky said:
Yeah, I've done that too. So sad, I tried to rally them into declaring independence only to find they were all dead. And it was ALL MY FAULT!
Yeah, I didn't really like the suggested allies. I thought that weak and unexceptional but happy civilization would prevail. I should've drawn and quartered more poor food thieves!
Super-cute. your pets?

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
It made me want to play, then I got angry about how slow my boat was and how dead I was.