Talk about the things you love

Super Cyborg

New member
Jul 25, 2014
474
0
0
So with all the negative stuff going around, whether in this forum, else where on the internet, or in the real world, it's always good to take time and just talk about stuff you really enjoy. It's a good way to stay sane and remember there is still good even amongst the bad.

I love One Piece. I have read through all the chapters numerous times, and I plan to reread it many times before it ends. While the stereotype of Christians are thought to go out and ask if they heard about their Lord and savior, I would probably spend that time asking if they heard the good word of Eneru, or are super they are compared to Franky (spoiler, not even a fraction). If I get bored of everything else, I will always have this series to fall back on.

It has everything I could want in a series. It has a story and world that is changing and being built as it goes on. The settings are great and there is always a new, crazier thing to see in the world. While characters don't have huge changes, they are quite developed from their initial introduction, and they get some small development over time. The designs of the characters from the crew, to the villains, are quite great. It all comes together to create a wacky adventure that from a glance people think it will just be childish, but if you read the story it can be very good and actually do a number of ideas justice. Of the flaws it has, the good of it is to much for me to focus on.

Another thing I love is Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. I only first played it a few years ago, and after playing it the first time I fell in love with it. The characters were great, and their interaction together was amazing. The way the story unfolded as you went on your journey with Estelle and Joshua was amazing. The music was great and went well with the scenes that happened. The last chapter from start to the credits was great, and makes me look forward to the second chapter.

I played through it a second time a few months ago and I enjoyed it even more. There were things I missed, such as the more subtle foreshadowing, some world building aspects, and some quests. Knowing the story, I was able to have a more analyzed look at the story and saw just how well done it was.

So Escapists, what things do you love/really enjoy?

Captcha: bizarre jerry
Sorry Captcha, but there was no Jerry Jostar on a bizarre adventure.
 

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
33,804
0
0
I love Calvin and Hobbes. I loved it when I was short and I still love it now. My parents loved it years ago and they still do. Its art style is grand and it speaks to both children and adults alike. It holds a place in the heart of every member of my immediate family.



Mr Watterson seemed to understand us all.
 

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jul 7, 2020
4,259
12
43
Country
United States
I love video games (strange right?)
I particularly like rpgs, both jrpgs and the wrpgs. For the longest time, I absolutely avoided Skyrim because it also has dragons (another thing I love) and I was sure it would consume my life if I so much as looked at it. Well a Steam sale happened and I bit the bullet and it consumed my life and I'm happy about that.

I also very much like Fire Emblem even though I don't go out of my way to play most srpgs, I go out of my way to play Fire Emblem.
 

SonicWaffle

New member
Oct 14, 2009
3,019
0
0
Eclipse Dragon said:
I love video games (strange right?)
I love Eclipse Dragon. Long time no see!

OT: I love Magic: the Gathering. More accurately I love the Commander/EDH variant. I write articles for two different websites about it, I build decks in my head when I'm trying to sleep, and when I am buying my girlfriend a little gift/bribing my way back into her favour, my go-to present is Magic cards.

I think I may have a problem.
 

Jesterscup

New member
Sep 9, 2014
267
0
0
WoW All the things!

Music: I'm currently obsessed with "someone to drive you home"- by the Long Blondes & the soundtrack to the rocky horror picture show ( has to be the soundtrack, I want Tim Curry & Susan Sarandon )

TV: Buffy Re-runs... evil Vampire Willow FTW... I'll usually watch a show all the way through. I'm a dedicated B5 & Whovian. Who are you? What do YOU want?

Games: Terraria / Minecraft. I've not really had a game really hold my attention since Skyrim or MWO, I tried ESO but it really put me off games for a while. Lots of Boardgames though. Archipelago & toc-toc woodman are family favourites. ( on this note WARNING: shut up and sit down is an expensive habit !)

Other: Making, especially making for Cosplay ( or any dressing up really ) or wargaming. I spend huge amounts of time thinking/drawing out ideas, and usually even longer working on them.
 

Starbird

New member
Sep 30, 2012
710
0
0
Barbas said:
I love Calvin and Hobbes. I loved it when I was short and I still love it now. My parents loved it years ago and they still do. Its art style is grand and it speaks to both children and adults alike. It holds a place in the heart of every member of my immediate family.



Mr Watterson seemed to understand us all.
YES. One of the few things I enjoy just as much as an adult as I did as a kid.

Also:

- Smoking (now vaping). Filthy habit, but I love doing it and happy to have found a moderately less unhealthy way to enjoy it.

- DMing. I've been a DnD player for ages and DMing for almost 15 years. While I look back with embarrasment at how awful I used to be, my recent campaign lasted nearly 3 years and was immense fun for all involved. Sort of over it now as there is noone around who really wants to play, but glad to have gone out with a bang.

- Naruto, Berserk, One Piece, DBZ and all other continuity driven, power progression, long running and genuinely awesome manga.

- Green Lantern comics.

- Living in rural Japan. While I will never be a rich man out here...I can safely say that I'll probably die a happy one.

- Splatter movies that aren't torture porn. Or CGI heavy.

- Diablo 2.

- Sleeping in on Saturdays.
 

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
33,804
0
0
Starbird said:
I've always said that if you're going to smoke something, it should be something f**king filthy (and possibly corrosive), and that you should light it with a flamethrower. And grow a beard like some sort of Cossack or Siberian wanderer, to increase the risk and enjoyment of said cigarette - each may be your last.



(Headdress optional)


OT: A really well-filmed and choreographed martial arts sequence in a film. Lovely bit a stuff an' all!
 

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jul 7, 2020
4,259
12
43
Country
United States
SonicWaffle said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
I love video games (strange right?)
I love Eclipse Dragon. Long time no see!

OT: I love Magic: the Gathering. More accurately I love the Commander/EDH variant. I write articles for two different websites about it, I build decks in my head when I'm trying to sleep, and when I am buying my girlfriend a little gift/bribing my way back into her favour, my go-to present is Magic cards.

I think I may have a problem.
Hey Mr. Waffle how's it going?

I tried to get into Magic the Gathering, I collected the cards obsessively because of the beautiful artwork, but the mechanics have too much of a learning curve for me to personally spend the energy. As far as card art is concerned though, Kamigawa is my favorite overall, but all those cards are automatically overridden by the sheer awesomeness of Niv Mizzet.



That little person on the right is totally just there to portray how utterly puny humans are by comparison.
 

SonicWaffle

New member
Oct 14, 2009
3,019
0
0
Eclipse Dragon said:
Hey Mr. Waffle how's it going?
Not bad, not bad. Stressful, exciting, terrifying - if the doctors are correct with their dates, I will become a daddy before the end of the week! You?

Eclipse Dragon said:
I tried to get into Magic the Gathering, I collected the cards obsessively because of the beautiful artwork, but the mechanics have too much of a learning curve for me to personally spend the energy.
Eh, I dunno. It can get horrendously complex when you have to consider rules interactions, but if all you want to do is play big creatures and hit people in the face, that's totally a thing too.

Eclipse Dragon said:
As far as card art is concerned though, Kamigawa is my favorite overall, but all those cards are automatically overridden by the sheer awesomeness of Niv Mizzet.

Pfft. Niv ain't shit. For a badass dragon, you want this guy;


I always like to imagine that he's screaming "fuck you, mountains!" as he takes revenge for whatever they did to him.
 

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
17,363
1,502
118
I love eating bolognese chips with a glass of ice cold Coca Cola. Fucking divine!

I also love The Incredibles, My Neighbor Totoro, Back to the Future, Coming to America, sleeping in, electric heaters during winter, fans during summer, ice cubes, those little white things they use to tie up bread, my dog, my family... and you.
 

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jul 7, 2020
4,259
12
43
Country
United States
SonicWaffle said:
Not bad, not bad. Stressful, exciting, terrifying - if the doctors are correct with their dates, I will become a daddy before the end of the week! You?
Congratulations! There's nothing exciting going on for me at the moment unfortunately. I started drawing again after a long time of not wanting to do it, so I'm at least happy about that.

SonicWaffle said:
Pfft. Niv ain't shit. For a badass dragon, you want this guy;


I always like to imagine that he's screaming "fuck you, mountains!" as he takes revenge for whatever they did to him.
Eh he's big I'll give him that, but Niv Mizzet is a dracogenius and brains are greater than brawn.
 

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
6,374
0
0
Barbas said:
I love Calvin and Hobbes. I loved it when I was short and I still love it now. My parents loved it years ago and they still do. Its art style is grand and it speaks to both children and adults alike. It holds a place in the heart of every member of my immediate family.



Mr Watterson seemed to understand us all.
I bet you all wear long pants even in the summer, too.

OT: Sonic the Hedgehog.

I know there are a few other people around here who grew up with the franchise and love it as well, but it never seems to really get a fair shake anymore, even by Sega themselves. Sonic Generations is probably one of my favorite games ever, and they've apparently decided to just completely abandon those gameplay styles now. GG, Sega.

I've been really digging me some post-Crisis and New 52 Batman comics over the past few weeks as well.

I recently started playing the new Shadow Warrior game, and it's badass. Probably the best Deadpool game out there. :)P)

There are a great many other things I could bring up, and I don't even know where to begin. Oh well.
 

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Moderator
Legacy
Mar 26, 2020
7,132
74
53
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Gender
ā™‚
I just love steak. I love every kind of steak. I wish I could eat all of them... but I can't, I can't eat every steak. I love the iron-flavoured meaty juice that comes from them and I love dipping chips in that juice. Damn, I wish I have a steak, chips and cider right now (Did you guess I'm hungry?).
 

SonicWaffle

New member
Oct 14, 2009
3,019
0
0
Eclipse Dragon said:
Congratulations! There's nothing exciting going on for me at the moment unfortunately. I started drawing again after a long time of not wanting to do it, so I'm at least happy about that.
Thanks!

That's cool, always good to be doing something creative. My girlfriend is forever pestering me to write creatively, but whenever I do I end up hating the results. Much easier to write about other people's work; those who can't do, become critics.

Eclipse Dragon said:
Eh he's big I'll give him that, but Niv Mizzet is a dracogenius and brains are greater than brawn.
If I were him, I'd have stuck with "the Firemind". As nicknames go, way more badass. Then again he is an arrogant sonnovabitch, so "dracogenius" probably pleases him.

Stormbreath Dragon is way cooler though. Dragon? Same old boring fire-breathing? No! Lightning dragon!
 

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
33,804
0
0
shrekfan246 said:
I bet you all wear long pants even in the summer, too.
We...do... o.o

Jackets too, sometimes. This country has hot summers, but the air is nothing like as cloying as it was back home. Dirt and grime settled on every exposed railing and wall...yuck.

OT: Steam trains. I love their woohing, their chugging and all their lovingly oiled and painted moving parts. They're real wonders of creativity and ingenious invention. These modern ones, with their dusty growling engines and intimidating bellowing and clack-clacking along electrified rails...*sigh*...it's just not the same.



 

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jul 7, 2020
4,259
12
43
Country
United States
SonicWaffle said:
If I were him, I'd have stuck with "the Firemind". As nicknames go, way more badass. Then again he is an arrogant sonnovabitch, so "dracogenius" probably pleases him.

Stormbreath Dragon is way cooler though. Dragon? Same old boring fire-breathing? No! Lightning dragon!
That is quite an interesting dragon


I like the design they have going along the body, and especially the shape of the head, it's really sharp, like Bahamut in FFX.


Or the Death Saurer from Zoids


I miss Zoids, that was one of my favorite shows as a kid.