Talk Sweet or Bust Heads in Alpha Protocol

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Talk Sweet or Bust Heads in Alpha Protocol

If polite discourse doesn't work, smashing a beaker into a scientist's face is always a possibility in Alpha Protocol [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=70790].

delayed in late 2009 [http://www.obsidianent.com/], but with its solid June 1 release date nearing we're now seeing more on the game again. The latest trailer shows off the dialogue system that, while not totally breaking new ground, infuses a new level of action into the choices players make.

Alpha Protocol is an action-RPG that focuses on CIA operative Michael Thornton as he attempts to uncover a conspiracy and figure out who betrayed him after an operation goes wrong. Players will build up various special skills, use multiple kinds of weaponry and gadgets, and complete both required and optional missions.

The dialogue systems in other games such as Mass Effect give players the ability to use basic "good" and "evil" scores to alter how conversations end, but Alpha Protocol's "Dialogue Stance System" seems to take this to the extreme. If a scientist isn't being forthcoming enough during an interrogation, a dialogue choice will pop up to break a glass over his head. Sometimes this won't be enough, and you might just forgo conversation and straight up execute a guy.

The trailer gives me a feeling that each of the dialogue choices in Alpha Protocol will actively relate to the type of story experienced. I assume that killing someone rather than having a spot of tea with them would radically change a story thread. According to Obsidian, multiple playthroughs will be required to experience all there is to see in Alpha Protocol due to the three classic personas (based on James Bond, Jason Bourne, and Jack Bauer) that can be played out through the DSS.

Obsidian has a significant amount of pedigree in the game industry, having produced Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II [http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Knights-Old-Republic-Pc/dp/B00027CXEM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278527364&sr=1-1] and Neverwinter Nights 2, not to mention the classic RPGs members of the company have worked on in the past at Black Isle Studios. Alpha Protocol looks like it has potential to tide gamers over for a little while until the company's next big release, Fallout: New Vegas, hopefully comes out by the end of 2010.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
This all seems fine and dandy and they have the Bad Russian Accents and RPG elements down...

Calumon: Ummm... what about the Sneaky Sneaky?

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Catkid906 said:
This all seems fine and dandy and they have the Bad Russian Accents and RPG elements down...

That's the Bourne route, IIRC. The operationalized Bond as Suave, Bauer as shoot first/torture later, and Bourne as stealth.

I've been meaning to ask, what's the deal with the second tags you use?

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
KnowYourOnion said:
Wow the main characters voice acting is bad.....
It kinda reminds me of the flat voice work for JC Denton actually. We'll see how well it actually works when it ships though.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Starke said:
Catkid906 said:

That's the Bourne route, IIRC. The operationalized Bond as Suave, Bauer as shoot first/torture later, and Bourne as stealth.

I've been meaning to ask, what's the deal with the second tags you use?
Calumon: Wham Zam ZOOM!!!Thats what.

elementsoul

Aug 28, 2009
Doesn't look to bad, but what doesn't look to bad before launch now a days. Holding opinion as always before game comes out and true reviews and footage are available.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Alpha Protocol keeps reminding me of Burn Notice for some reason. Don't really have a huge problem with the main character's voicework, it sounds like they were trying to make Michael seem like a person who is very deliberate in his actions in mannerisms and doesn't try to betray too much in the way he talks.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
I'm so sorry, Alpha Protocol. You smashed my heart into little pieces the moment you abandoned me at the store on that dark night of October. Now, I've found someone else. Its name is Red Dead Redemption. The moment I saw its awesome graphics and amazing gameplay I knew we were meant for each other. We've been married for 2 weeks now and we're expecting our first child somewhere around May 18th.

The Zango

Resident stoner and Yognaught
Apr 30, 2009
Hmm i'm still not 100% sure about this game but i'll get it if i have a spare £25 after Red Dead and Conviction (even though it keeps pissing me off with all the delays)

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I'm actually quite excited about this. An RPG set in modern times, multiple ways to deal with problems. This could be epic and as good as anything Bioware put out.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
AndyFromMonday said:
I'm so sorry, Alpha Protocol. You smashed my heart into little pieces the moment you abandoned me at the store on that dark night of October. Now, I've found someone else. Its name is Red Dead Redemption. The moment I saw its awesome graphics and amazing gameplay I knew we were meant for each other. We've been married for 2 weeks now and we're expecting our first child somewhere around May 18th.
Why is my monitor covered in coffee?

Warn a guy before you say somethin' like that, would ya?

AceDiamond said:
Alpha Protocol keeps reminding me of Burn Notice for some reason. Don't really have a huge problem with the main character's voicework, it sounds like they were trying to make Michael seem like a person who is very deliberate in his actions in mannerisms and doesn't try to betray too much in the way he talks.
I figured most of the Burn Notice association came from the first name, and some of the facial features, but, you're right, the voicework is a little strange, but probably a very good design choice. Personally, it doesn't bother me.

Strategia

za Rodina, tovarishchii
Mar 21, 2008
Let's see..... Dialogue wheel, morality paths, flat main character voice acting..... Dear God, it's like Mass Effect with conspiracy theories =P

Tom Goldman said:
According to Obsidian, multiple playthroughs will be required to experience all there is to see in Alpha Protocol due to the three classic personas (based on James Bond, Jason Bourne, and Jack Bauer) that can be played out through the DSS.
So you can choose to emulate JB, JB ooorrr..... JB? =P