Talking Cat Makes Ryan Reynolds a Killer in The Voices

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Talking Cat Makes Ryan Reynolds a Killer in The Voices

"Mister Whiskers makes me do bad things"

Ryan Reynolds is still fighting his way back from the wreckage of Green Lantern, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/3557-Green-Lantern] and part of that journey is now taking him through the offbeat horror genre for The Voices, the trailer for which dropped today.

In the film, Reynolds is a suspiciously charming factory worker whose boyish demeanor hides a dark secret: He's out of his mind, and thinks his pets are talking to him. That's usually [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-h-KpG2tHM] not good news in and of itself, but it becomes everyone else's problem when his cat, Mr. Whiskers, starts telling him to kill people.

Anna Kendrick and Gemma Arterton also star, along with Jackie Weaver as Reynolds' therapist. Reynolds himself provides the voices of both Mr. Whiskers and his bull mastiff, who acts as the "good boy" half of his conscience. The Voices marks the Western horror debut of Marjane Satrapi, who previously helmmed the celebrated animated adaptation of the Iran-set graphic novel Persepolis.

Source: Entertainment Weekly [http://insidemovies.ew.com/2015/01/08/ryan-reynolds-the-voices-trailer/]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

Jeremy Dawkins

Oct 17, 2011
The trailer suggests dark comedy, not horror. If it is horror then the trailer is REALLY misrepresenting of the movie. Either way, I'm not interested. I don't really enjoy dark humour even if I really like Ryan Reynolds.

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
Looks interesting enough. I really hope Reynolds can patch his carrier because he really is a good actor. While Wolverine Origins and Green Lantern were terrible he wasn't the problem in either.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Alright, I'm interested. I want to see. But if it's coming out in theaters and online, the studio probably doesn't think much of it. That or it got hacked by NK :p

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Cuts off women's heads and speaks to 'em, eh? I am agog to see how this one goes down...

There was a renowned taxi driver in Hong Kong who cut off women's genitalia and pickled them in Tupperware containers. I wonder if someone's ever attempted to make a comedy about him. He didn't keep the heads of his victims, though, AFAIK - they were found in the river.

Well, that was what this trailer brought to mind, anyway. If this goes bad, it'll go bad big time.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
This look disturbingly interesting, I dread to see the real perspective of the mutilated corpse that the guy perspective talking to them.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
He's been doing some great, non-AAA, things.

Buried was REALLY good.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"I've changed my mind'.
That is VERY lol.

Seems like a funny dark comedy, maybe like 'Death becomes her' ;)

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
Tanis said:

Buried was REALLY good.
Buried was sooo uncomfortable (in a good way) as a claustrophob myself, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Bought the DVD to support the film... havent taken it out of the package cuz I dont need the heart palpitations.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Ken_J said:
Looks interesting enough. I really hope Reynolds can patch his carrier because he really is a good actor. While Wolverine Origins and Green Lantern were terrible he wasn't the problem in either.
I have a bit of a man-crush on Ryan Reynolds partly because you're absolutely correct regarding his acting and partly because he always comes across as a really nice guy. Find it hard to believe this is a horror though (unless they're really lying in the trailer) as it looks more like a really REALLY dark comedy. Will definitely keep an eye out for it.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Alright, I want to watch it. Seems very comical and makes me want to watch 8 Heads in a Duffle Bag again as well.

mjharper

Can
Apr 28, 2013
Marjane Satrapi co-directed the animated adaptation of Persepolis, that's true, but she was also the original author of the graphic novel. The article seems to imply that she had nothing to do with the GN at all, but only the adaptation.

This would be fixed by changing 'the Iran-based' to 'her Iran-based' in the last sentence.

Hyperstorm

Nov 27, 2013
The UK magazine Total Film had a piece on this early last year and all parties they spoke to indicated it was a dark comedy.

I doubt Green Lantern was what screwed him over (we've seen lesser actors' careers survive far worse). I suspect it may have had more to do with his infidelity and resultant effect on Scarlett Johanssen that did it.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Devin Barker said:
Tanis said:

Buried was REALLY good.
Buried was sooo uncomfortable (in a good way) as a claustrophob myself, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Bought the DVD to support the film... havent taken it out of the package cuz I dont need the heart palpitations.
Yeah, Buried was intense!
Really liked that film, felt pretty on the edge myself while watching it and at the end I just sat there dead silent for a moment when I usually am pretty fast at taking the disc out of the player.

On Topic:
This seems interesting enough, might have a go when it gets released on disc, if I remember it then.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Jeremy Dawkins said:
The trailer suggests dark comedy, not horror. If it is horror then the trailer is REALLY misrepresenting of the movie. Either way, I'm not interested. I don't really enjoy dark humour even if I really like Ryan Reynolds.
Well, I do, so bring it on! Hooray for psychosis!

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Oh good....
The Green Lantern guy in a movie inspired by David Berkowitz (Son Of Sam).

I can really see this not going places....

For those who don't know about Son Of Sam, David Berkowitz, who also was a blue collar worker (post office), and he thought the dog of his neighbor Sam was possessed by a demon and ordered him to kill people.

As for the trailer, was Adam Sandler too expensive? Because this has the feel of an Adam Sandler movie.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Barbas said:
Cuts off women's heads and speaks to 'em, eh? I am agog to see how this one goes down...

There was a renowned taxi driver in Hong Kong who cut off women's genitalia and pickled them in Tupperware containers. I wonder if someone's ever attempted to make a comedy about him. He didn't keep the heads of his victims, though, AFAIK - they were found in the river.

Well, that was what this trailer brought to mind, anyway. If this goes bad, it'll go bad big time.
He did what?

Somehow having a hard time picturing that, even though technically it probably is possible... >_>