Tarantino's Going After Gawker Again: Hateful Eight Suit Re-filed

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Tarantino's Going After Gawker Again: Hateful Eight Suit Re-filed

Gawker crossed the journalistic line, Tarantino alleges.

Soon after The Hateful Eight's script reading [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133873-Tarantino-Will-Film-Hateful-Eight-After-All-Update] came the news: Tarantino's case for copyright infringement against Gawker, the site that posted and spoilt his script, was dead in the water. Tarantino has amended his complaint and is going after Gawker again. Gawker crossed the journalistic line, he alleges, and now the courts have to decide whether a news site that downloads copyrighted material is infringing on the rights of the author.

The original suit was dismissed because Tarantino failed to allege a specific instance of infringement, and without that specific instance he couldn't prove contributory infringement. Now Tarantino's claiming there is a specific instance, and that it was Gawker's.

"On January 23, 2014," the complaint alleges, "After Gawker obtained the Screenplay Download URL in response to its request for leak of an unauthorized infringing copy of the Screenplay, Gawker itself illegally downloaded to its computers an unauthorized infringing PDF copy of the Screenplay - read it and learned that the PDF download document was 146 pages - directly infringing Tarantino's copyright."

The complaint goes on to say that Gawker also publicly induced its 47 million readers to do the same, and that when a takedown notice wiped the file from AnonFiles, Gawker amended its links to point to new file host locations.

Tarantino points out that if Gawker had simply said there was an illicit script download out there somewhere, without saying where, that would have been legitimate news reporting. By requesting a reader send it the file, and then linking it for all its readers to see, Gawker crossed the line.

Gawker is still reviewing the amended complaint and has yet to comment. Tarantino meanwhile will be going ahead with The Hateful Eight, but the ending will be drastically changed [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/inside-tarantinos-hateful-eight-reading-697740].

"Gawker has made a business of predatory journalism, violating people's rights to make a buck," the lawsuit claims. "This time they went too far." If successful, Tarantino wants more than $1 million in damages.

Source: Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/quentin-tarantino-files-new-gawker-700605]

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Is it just me or is Tarantino starting to look more and more like Arnold Schwarzenegger?
Just me?
Bad picture?

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
Personally, I care not, I'm not fond of Tarantino anyway, not in the way so many other movie buffs are...

Penguinplayer

Mar 31, 2009
Karloff said:
Tarantino meanwhile will be going ahead with The Hateful Eight, but the ending will be drastically changed [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/inside-tarantinos-hateful-eight-reading-697740].
Oh, so he's going ahead with the movie instead of just a script reading? That's great news, I'm a huge fan of Tarantino's movies, I love his style and I hope to see Hateful 8 in a theater someday.

Also, I don't know if Gawker as a whole are assholes of if it's just one guy in there that did this, but I hope whoever's responsible gets what they deserve at the end of the day.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
This is getting silly.

I remember when the Deadpool script leaked. It was arguably the biggest push for the movie to happen since every Deadpool fan read it and then wanted it visualized on the big screen.

I get the feeling Tarantino might be a tad petty and self-centered... but then again, I did see an acceptance speech where he thanked HIMSELF.

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
To be fair to Tarantino, while I haven't read Hateful Eight, what little I do know about it suggests it's a kind of murder mystery/thriller in the style of Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None, albeit with a hell of a lot more violence and swearing. Spoiling the end of it's a bit of a dick move.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Well its not like Gawker aren't terrible to begin with, so yeah.

"The only person Mr. Tarantino likes to be fucked by is Mrs. Tarantino!"

SporkySpork

Feb 19, 2014
Glad to see Gawker getting called out on their shit in any way shape or form. They deserve all the heat they're getting and then some. Everything on it is fucking garbage, and Tarantino is dead on with everything he says about them.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
CelestDaer said:
Personally, I care not, I'm not fond of Tarantino anyway, not in the way so many other movie buffs are...
Seems strange that you found the need to comment but don't care....

OP:Gawker is setting themselves to look like the far left web equivalent of Faux News. Between this, their subsidiary Salon.com getting roasted by Patton Oswalt, and Buzzfeed's reputation dying with Michael Hastings I can't find a reason to feel sorry for them at all.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
He's making the movie anyway so who the fuck cares, he cant care that much about it if it he just gong to make the film regardless of the leak or not. Its shit that it happend but coming off abit childish here.

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
JasonKaotic said:
Is it just me or is Tarantino starting to look more and more like Arnold Schwarzenegger?
Just me?
Bad picture?
I was gonna say Gary Busey.

Crazy uncle Tarantino is yelling at the internet again.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
DoctorM said:
JasonKaotic said:
Just me?
Bad picture?
I was gonna say Gary Busey.

Crazy uncle Tarantino is yelling at the internet again.
oh god that tickled me more than it should have lol

Nov 28, 2007
I'm actually on Tarantino's side about this. You can say all you want that he's being childish, or that all you care about is the fact that the movie is getting made now, but if what Tarantino alleges is true, then Gawker is totally in the wrong. Script leaks can be good for publicity, but at the same time, when you are reporting on a script leak, you don't put up a link to said script and say "go read this", which is exactly what Gawker did, according to Tarantino.

I know people aren't all that fond of copyright laws, but let's put it this way. Say you worked for 4 months on a novel, with plans to publish it. Are you going to tell me that you wouldn't be upset if you let a friend read what you wrote, and s/he took the novel and posted it online, and then online news reporters provided links to everyone to read your novel? Sure, you could say that it is an honor that the novel was that highly regarded, but at the same time, your months of work means jack shit now, because no one will want to buy a novel when they can just read it for free online. That, and you need to deal with the fact that your friend just broke whatever trust you had in hir. Welcome to Tarantino's state of mind. I don't blame the guy at all for being upset, and I definitely don't blame him for suing Gawker for copyright infringement, since if his facts are straight, that's exactly what they did.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Scripts get leaked all the time and not like Tarentino didnt just rewrite some other old movie any way and call it a tribute. I really cant wait till he directs some one elses story instead, amazing director but alot of his writing is crap and everyone ends up sounding the same. Apart from if that character is black, if he is a black actor then he just adds mother fucker every 4 words. :)

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
SonOfVoorhees said:
Scripts get leaked all the time and not like Tarentino didnt just rewrite some other old movie any way and call it a tribute. I really cant wait till he directs some one elses story instead, amazing director but alot of his writing is crap and everyone ends up sounding the same. Apart from if that character is black, if he is a black actor then he just adds mother fucker every 4 words. :)
That is hilarious and way too true. How many movies has QT made that are unlicensed remakes? At least a couple.

I don't recall anyone going nuts when the TMNT movie script got leaked... okay they did, but only because it sucked.

The point being, this is the 21st century, we have flying cars, food replicators and nothing is a secret on the internet. Gawker did not host the script. Posting a link is not a crime. Making it that way is a bad precedent.

mistwolf

Feb 1, 2008
I'm with him on this, actually. This is no different to reporting about movie piracy by airing the latest blockbuster on the air. By linking directly to the script they crossed over from talking about, to participating in. And yes, leaked scripts happen all the time, etc, etc, but that doesn't make it legal or right. 'It happens all the time' is a terrible defence for any activity, really.

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
DoctorM said:
The point being, this is the 21st century, we have flying cars, food replicators and nothing is a secret on the internet. Gawker did not host the script. Posting a link is not a crime. Making it that way is a bad precedent.
A bunch of people have already been arrested for posting links to pirated material. The owner of one of the sites that just indexes links to tv and movies was sentenced to jail for 4 years. These people are usually charged with facilitating copyright or trademark infringement.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19253359

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
Raziel said:
DoctorM said:
A bunch of people have already been arrested for posting links to pirated material. The owner of one of the sites that just indexes links to tv and movies was sentenced to jail for 4 years. These people are usually charged with facilitating copyright or trademark infringement.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19253359
I can't say a pirate index site is the same thing as Gawker, which is loosely a news site.
Poor judgement? Probably, but the U.S. still does have a free press and freedom of speech (as far as I know). It's a pretty sketchy line here.

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
I doubt that the qawker author will be arrested for it. But it does seem that posting links to pirated material is illegal.