Target Australia will no longer stock GTA5

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
peruvianskys said:
Zhukov said:
OMG, IT'S CENSORSH...

No, hang on, it's a business responding to customer feedback and choosing not to sell a specific product that is still freely available to anyone who wishes to buy it.

"We are your customers, listen to our feedback! Hear our voices! Obey our comm... whoa, whoa, don't listen to those customers, they're feminazi SJW marxists!"

Heh. I love you all. I really do.
Bingo! This is my response exactly - for a community that whines over and over about how retailers and developers won't listen to them, they sure do get upset when the same folks *start* listening...to the people they don't like.

rob_simple said:
Almost as immature as, say, petitioning to have a game removed from sale at a store because you, personally, find its content disagreeable?

Nobody was forcing these idiots to buy a copy of GTA V, this is just a company bending to the will of some reactionary puritan dipshits because they cried the loudest but, as others have rightly said, it won't stop people buying it elsewhere so, hey, if Target don't wanna stock one of the best-selling games of all time then that is literally their loss.
They aren't opposed to GTA 5 because they "find its content disagreeable" - they're opposed to GTA 5 because it allows you to murder prostituted women. That's not "puritanism". Puritans loved violence against women. This is a basic expression of feminism: We probably shouldn't turn violence against women into a hobby.
I've been told a hundred times by feminists that I am a feminist (I'm not) because I believe in the equality of genders. Man and woman, equal.

How comes GTA is being pulled for its portrayal of women then? Is violence against men a hobby? I expect Target to be pulling CoD, Battlefield, Dragon Age, Skyrim, and any other number of games with violence against men and women in for equality's sake then.

Your argument is highly flawed when violence against women being a hobby is a problem but it's fine when it is against a man.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
peruvianskys said:
rob_simple said:
Almost as immature as, say, petitioning to have a game removed from sale at a store because you, personally, find its content disagreeable?

Nobody was forcing these idiots to buy a copy of GTA V, this is just a company bending to the will of some reactionary puritan dipshits because they cried the loudest but, as others have rightly said, it won't stop people buying it elsewhere so, hey, if Target don't wanna stock one of the best-selling games of all time then that is literally their loss.
They aren't opposed to GTA 5 because they "find its content disagreeable" - they're opposed to GTA 5 because it allows you to murder prostituted women. That's not "puritanism". Puritans loved violence against women. This is a basic expression of feminism: We probably shouldn't turn violence against women into a hobby.
And what about all the men you can also murder in GTA V, did you conveniently forget about that? As usual, feminists are turning a non-issue into a gendered one.

Also, as far as I'm aware, there is little to no part of GTA that actually forces you to murder prostitutes, specifically; that's a choice afforded to the player by virtue of the fact that, in GTA, you can kill anyone.

Ilovechocolatemilk

Mar 26, 2009
IceForce said:
Ilovechocolatemilk said:
Like I said before, these sjws are the new McCarthyists. They want to blacklist and pressure private organizations into doing their will.
I can't believe a gamergater has written these words. I honestly cannot believe what I'm reading here.

Jesus Christ, the irony and hypocrisy is off the charts.
Name one game we've censored. If the hypocrisy levels are off the charts, it should be easy, shouldn't it?

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Vault101 said:
rob_simple said:
they are not idiots

no one is an idiot for looking at something and going "you know what? I can't abide this shit"

I don't have any interest in playing GTA V because its apparent that there's little appeal, I don't like how the game treats women (which I'm not just basing on player action)

its immature to get all pissy because people take moral issue with the things you like
They're not just looking at it and going, 'I don't like this' though, are they, they're looking at it and going 'I don't like this therefore I'm going to hamper the ability of other people to enjoy it'.

Your double-standards are as astounding as they are infuriating: You think it's immature for me to be irritated by moral crusaders restricting the sale of goods that they, personally, find objectionable but you find the action, itself, of restricting the sale of goods based on personal moral standings, to be completely acceptable behaviour.

People are free to be offended about whatever they choose, but they should not be allowed to impose those beliefs on others.

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
VanQ said:
To be fair, not a single copy of GTAV was probably ever sold at Target Australia. Target's prices on games are worse than EB Games! And EB already price gouges like mad.=
That is actually completely false for new release games. Target and Big W's (Big W's prices are often slightly better) have by far the cheapest week one prices, often beating out even JB Hi-Fi by at least $5, sometimes up to $10. Examples: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/games-consoles/platforms/xbox-360/far-cry-4/617320/ http://www.target.com.au/p/far-cry-4-limited-edition-xbox-36/56917802 They were selling the Xbone/PS4 GTA V for $64. Their prices usually stabilize to that of JB Hi-Fi and their range suffers after the first few weeks though.

You can't even compare them to EB https://ebgames.com.au/xbox360-201741-Far-Cry-4-Limited-Edition-Xbox-360.

They were actually an extremely underrated place to buy games, their prices are usually comparable to the likes of Ozgameshop. They won't be getting my business anymore however. Though make sure to check out Big W if you have one near you or like to order online.

ugeine

Aug 6, 2009
I've been wishing Rockstar would remove the prostitutes from Grand Theft Auto for years. There's no point to them apart from to either shag or kill them. Why put them in the game in the first place? Hopefully this will convince Rockstar to leave them out of further games.

Guerilla

Sep 7, 2014
IceForce said:
Ilovechocolatemilk said:
Like I said before, these sjws are the new McCarthyists. They want to blacklist and pressure private organizations into doing their will.
I can't believe a gamergater has written these words. I honestly cannot believe what I'm reading here.

Abstract accusations about irony and hypocrisy without a shred of proof. Congrats on the post, it's as non-nonsensical as I'd expect.

madster11

Aug 17, 2010
peruvianskys said:
Do people not realize that prostituted women are murdered and raped at such incredibly high rates that it rivals soldiers in active duty? It's not some pet peeve on the part of these women. They're survivors of serious violence who would rather that serious violence not be turned into a game for misogynistic men.
Prostitution is legal in australia and legitimate businesses are run with strict regulations to prevent any form of abuse.
Sure, it happens, but no where near enough for this to be a demographic to be specifically focused on.

Our police also heavily investigate any murder, no matter who the victim was or what they did.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Signa said:
Well, in that case, I'm calling bullshit on you. Your position requires just as many facts as mine does.
My position is simply that you don't have the facts. My point was and can be summarised thusly:

Why would we assume otherwise without evidence?
I did not take the position that they did do their homework, only that it's ridiculous to assume they didn't without evidence. I would add that since they do collect and use data on sales, which doesn't particularly support your assumption.

Either you don't understand burden of proof or you're lying. I'm just not sure which.

Haerthan said:
Well the voices do like singing Sabaton and Amon Amarth a little too enthusiastically. Sometimes though they like to sing Justin Bieber in an even worse auto-tune than that little ... himself can. Let's just say that thats's what happens when people second guess them. It hurts. A lot. OH god ...
No! The adult skull isn't meant to contain those frequencies!

RhombusHatesYou said:
I'm on fire today. Really on fire. Fuck Australian summers.
Are you sure it wasn't Grand Theft Auto related? Perhaps we could start a consumer movement for you.

Loonyyy said:
Don't you know, they're completely misrepresenting the game. THE HUMANITY.
Oh crap, you're right. I forgot that it was totally different now that it was something I cared about being misrepresented.

Vault101 said:
[sub/]next thing you'll be implying all those silly woman have a bad case of hysteria[/sub]
Do I have to break out the fainting couch?

Nods Respectfully Towards You said:
It's funny just how blindingly hypocritical SJWs can be at times.
It's especially funny that you would quote that post as an example, given how hypocritical it was.

grandpasmurfette

Dec 4, 2014
Shame on Target and Kmart, both of them actually have new releases at the lowest prices most times in Australia but there is nothing more infuriating than bunch of soccer mums making a mountain out of molehill. But i heard on the news that this was started by a bunch of anonymous sex workers.

But anyway, onto the discussion of the game itself.
I for one think there is nothing wrong with hiring a prostitute and then killing them after sex in a video game.
Maybe its cause im desensitized and all that (No i haven't actually done it (yet) im too busy with the main story missions) but i believe humans nature is screwed up anyway, I mean you can be a pacifist and admire machines designed to kill at the same time right? Yeah thats not an apt comparison point im trying to make is the duality of human nature. I mean firstly, I obviously don't want my 5 year olds playing this game, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with mature people who buy this game and go killing prostitutes. This is escapism, everything in GTA is made so the player can play out their criminal fantasy, steal cars, go on police shoot outs, rob banks, put on a scary mask and chop people up with an axe, play out the story of three archetypical criminals so why shouldn't we be able to shag and kill prostitutes if it all adds to the authenticity of the experience? If something contributes to the overall design and "well madeness" of a piece of entertainment or art it shouldn't be restricted because of people's sensitivities in which this case people are being overly sensitive. The way GTA does things is almost semi-satirical as well and i think the juxtaposition of an in car Beejay right before "accidentally" running over your prostitute with the ridiculous rag-doll physics and driving off with exagerrated blood stain all over your car into los santos while listening to a satirical talk show making fun of conservative americans is just makes you go "LOOL This is ridiculous"

What i am against is crap that tries to be edgy just cause, like the airport shootout scene in MW2 and child geting blown up in MW3 and movies like 'The Serbian Film', not on a moral level but on an artistic level, in other words is crappily done.

EDIT: In before "strong first post"

Guerilla

Sep 7, 2014
rob_simple said:
And what about all the men you can also murder in GTA V, did you conveniently forget about that? As usual, feminists are turning a non-issue into a gendered one.

Also, as far as I'm aware, there is little to no part of GTA that actually forces you to murder prostitutes, specifically; that's a choice afforded to the player by virtue of the fact that, in GTA, you can kill anyone.

It's the usual feminist tactic where they purposely ignore the facts and focus on a "problematic issue" like they have blinders on ignoring the big picture. Anita did the same stupid shit with Hitman where she ignored the fact that you can kill and move any NPC while only focusing on the strippers.

They're just looking for excuses to play the victims and censor or try to force the creators to self-censor themselves. This ridiculous behavior and the censorship that comes along with it should be a surprise to anyone, yet people are still being surprised.

Modern feminism is quickly becoming the conservatism of the 21st century, the censorship, sex phobic behavior and mud slinging against anyone disagreeing with their dogma all point to that.

ugeine

Aug 6, 2009
Guerilla said:
IceForce said:
Ilovechocolatemilk said:

Abstract accusations about irony and hypocrisy without a shred of proof. Congrats on the post, it's as non-nonsensical as I'd expect.
Gamergate was responsible for 'Operation disrespectful Nod' which pressured advertisers into pulling adverts from games sites which had written content they disagreed with.

Guerilla

Sep 7, 2014
grandpasmurfette said:
What i am against is crap that tries to be edgy just cause, like the airport shootout scene in MW2 and child geting blown up in MW3 and movies like 'The Serbian Film', not on a moral level but on an artistic level, in other words is crappily done.
I'm not against those either. If a creator wants to be purposely controversial he can and SHOULD be. Shock art has a long standing tradition and has its purpose, either for pure entertainment or for trying wake people up by evoking emotions.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ilovechocolatemilk said:
Name one game we've censored. If the hypocrisy levels are off the charts, it should be easy, shouldn't it?
Does it have to be a game? Because Operation Disrespectful Nod (which even misrepresented the publications in question) is a striking parallel and turns this into a case of "do a I say, not as I do."

Guerilla said:
Anita did the same stupid shit with Hitman where she ignored the fact that you can kill and move any NPC while only focusing on the strippers.
Yes, how dare she focus on strippers when establishing a trend of "women as background decorations."

Guerilla

Sep 7, 2014
ugeine said:
Gamergate was responsible for 'Operation disrespectful Nod' which pressured advertisers into pulling adverts from games sites which had written content they disagreed with.
Are you seriously putting in the same category game "journalists" and actual game creators? Yes, ugeine, boycotting the ones supporting censorship is EXACTLY the same as censoring creators. Perfect comparison, congrats again.

Zachary Amaranth said:
Yes, how dare she focus on strippers when establishing a trend of "women as background decorations."
You must be confused, it's actually "how dare the con artist call a game misogynistic and accuse gamers of deriving pleasure from manhandling a dead stripper when in reality you can do the same with any other NPC in the game"

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Guerilla said:
You must be confused, it's actually "how dare the con artist call a game misogynistic and accuse gamers of deriving pleasure from manhandling a dead stripper when in reality you can do the same with any other NPC in the game"
Yes, if any claim can be made without regard to truth.

But, I must remind myself, this isn't about facts or things one can demonstrably prove. It's about ethics in journalism.

Guerilla

Sep 7, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
Guerilla said:
Yes, if any claim can be made without regard to truth.

But, I must remind myself, this isn't about facts or things one can demonstrably prove. It's about ethics in journalism.
Could you clarify your post, I don't understand your point. Are you agreeing with me? Because Anita really said this bullshit and there's a transcript to prove that.