Teacher orders kindergarteners to beat up class "bully"

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Kiardras said:
I want to be against this on an intellectual level, but as someone who had to deal with bullies for 5 years, I just can't bring myself to have any sympathy for the little shit.
Not even for a six-year-old?

If he was at least eleven my sympathy would be wavering. (I was bullied at school too.) But forcing a group of six-year-olds to hit another six-year-old is just screwed up.

Children at an impressionable age should not be encouraged to act violently!

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
spartan231490 said:
I'm not terribly against what happened. Bullies only speak one language, and that's the only way to get them to stop. That said, ordering 24 kids to hit him repeatedly in a line is going a little too far, especially since they aren't saying much about what kind of bullying this kid was accused of.

Odd observation, is it just me, or do bullies seem to start earlier and earlier? I don't recall any bullying occurring in my school until the 4rth grade, and now I'm hearing all about bullying as young as kindergarten.
Agreed. While what the teacher did crossed a line, I think parents should actively teach their kids not to take it. If someone starts throwing punches, throw the damn person.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Xan Krieger said:
If the kid was a bully then he deserved it and I see nothing wrong here. Bullies will only stop when they realized there are consequences and I think this kid just learned to stop.
There are plenty of ways of dealing out consequences to a six-year-old that don't involve:
a) being violent towards a child.
b) teaching impressionable children that they should respond violently whenever someone is mean to them.

venom_steve

Jun 8, 2010
Everyone knows the way to deal with bullies is to let them do their thing then punish the victim when they finally have enough and lash out.
Teaching kids to "not sink to their level" is teaching them to put up with being bullies because the teachers won't do a damn thing about it.
The ONLY way to stop a bully is to fight back, even when it's a group of bullies. I speak from experience as bullying nearly drove me to suicide in high school.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Cheery Lunatic said:
Mr.K. said:
Well I was pretty shocked until I read the headline... "Texas teacher"... now I'm only shocked the teacher didn't shoot the kid outright.
Oh hey, three posts until we got an ignorant one like this. Record.
You do realize it's illegal to take all or any kind of weapon onto school grounds unless you're a cop?
What about concealed carry for the teachers?

But yeah, the other guy was kind of inconsiderate for insulting a whole state.

CrossLOPER said:
Bullies tend to suffer from psychological problems, some serious some not. This was one of the most idiotic ways to deal with the issue.
Or maybe they are bored 16 year old boys in 6th grade who just want to hump girls, play with knives and do drugs, but are forced to stay in school so that parents can get fiscal benefits.

The part that rustles my jimmies is the fact that he was 6 years old. I've been always recommended to fight back by teachers and cops because they know they might not be able to help in time. "Fight fire with fire", "Ends justify the means" etc

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Since when did it fall to teachers to raise our kids?!?

Last time I checked that was the job of the parents NOT the teachers.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
I'm confused. Why go through such an elaborate kid-beating ritual when she could have just smacked him on the knuckles with a ruler? Or pulled out the paddle of DOOM (you know the one) to render punishment upon his buttocks.

... Don't teachers do that to kids these days?

What? Teachers aren't nuns!?

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
CaptainMarvelous said:
Speaking of Media Biaaaas, the kid's automatically a bully? You decry assuming he was hurt by the assault but naturally a 6-year-old says he felt like he was a bully so he MUST be one? You seem as guilty as anyone of spinning it to fit your facts with the assumption the teacher is in the right. Further more, one of your arguments is founded on how 6 years olds don't/can't hit someone properly, so the bully was using his great 6 year old MIND to victimise them?
But that's why I used the word bully only after the qualifier of 'my guess would be'. We don't have all the facts, so we can only guess.
and my assumption wasn't that the teacher was in the right(i even said unprofessional and shouldn't have been done), it was the news articles like sensationalising stories and everyone should be aware of media bias.

(Also, hitting and bulling are two separate things ;) )
and not quite, the analysis was that most 6 year olds in a class room are non-confrontational[confirmed by some not even wanting to take part] and so that's likely where the 'hit harder'/24 hits bit came from, and why no injuries were mentioned. it was all about discussing the media bais rather than the actually subject like I probably should be doing in this thread XD)

using the article itself where the mum says she never heard her son was a bully, that seemed like EXACTLY the sort of thing someone would mention if they were, say, attempting to defend their school "We sent complaints home" and such. Of course, she could be lying but then it seems like an easy one to refute and I can't seem to find any version of the story where he's a confirmed bully.
They don't have anything in there form either of the teachers who were involved in the incident, so how would we know? It barely mentions anything from the school, asides from that cropped bit at the end (also, school policy on this sort of stuff, from experience, usually has parents being called as a last resort. Teacher's like working with the children, they don't generally want to get their parents involved unless it becomes a major issue.)

See that's what I'm saying, you're being given a very one sided story, very selectively cropped so that it says exactly what the media wants you to see. Thus my post trying to strip away some of this framing and get to the core of this incident. However, unless we can see more information, you're just going to have to make a value judgement on the reliability of the source and use your own knowledge and understanding to refine it as best you can. (which is what I was trying to give an example of. You know, get people thinking ;) )

Though I admit, intentionally or not, this post IS a good example of media bias XD
I don't think 'media bias' means what you think it means :X (Since by definition I cannot be an example of media bias. Well, unless I become a journalist and start working for the mass media). So yeah, I think you just mean regular 'bias', to which I wholeheartedly agree I'm fairly bias against media bias. ((I'm actually entirely neutral towards this teacher bully thing cause I don't actually care much about the incident XD thus why I was all like:
"BUT HEY LOOK GUYS, isn't media bias interesting, lets discuss that!... what? oh yeah and i guess teacher was in the wrong. But media bias kgo!"
I just used this story as an example of something I could unwrap a little to straighten out the spin they've put on it. Actually, I guess it's pretty off topic to do that. Maybe if I can be bothered I'll make a proper media bias thread so I stop junking up this one XD).

Karathos

May 10, 2009
Hornet0404 said:
Since when did it fall to teachers to raise our kids?!?

Last time I checked that was the job of the parents NOT the teachers.
Since people who can't raise kids started getting kids.

And tbh, schools SHOULD teach kids socially aswell. Especially if it turns out that the parents are inept blind fools living the "NOT MY LITTLE BABY PERFECT ANGEL" dream.

nexus

May 30, 2012
I cannot even fathom why there are so many people condoning this PSYOP nonsense.

Really, it was "right" for an adult authority figure to organize a group beating involving 6 year old children?

Who the fuck are you people? Oh I know. Cowards. Oh you were bullied were you, and you know what it's like... ? BOO F-ING HOO, take a number, everyone knows what it's like. Sounds more like you never stood up for yourselves once in your damn lives.. only someone like that would condone this extremist nonsense.

Oh, lest we forget, the kid was "allegedly a bully", as they have never even stated once what he actually did.

Gross.

Total conformist groupthink herd-absurd nonsense. Piss off. Just about seeing red reading all the herd-commentary throughout Planet Facebook cheering this crap on.

Captain Anon

Mar 5, 2012
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Torrasque said:
What I imagine, is the parent goes "what?! SOME TEACHER HURT MY LITTLE SPECIAL SCHNOOKY POOKY?!?!? MY SPECIAL LITTLE GUY?!?! RRRRRRRRAAAAAGE!!!!!!" and they enter an enraged state and go seeking the teacher's blood, literally.
If we are just going to make stupid assumptions with nothing to really back it up, I'm going to argue that the teacher is actually a malicious devil who had the kid beat even though he did nothing.
to be honest if i was that kid's father and he hadn't done anything and if he wasn't a bully or was (which he wouldn't be one because i would have taught him better than that) i would storm the school wanting that teacher's head on a fucking plate and then afterwards i would take my son out of that school and put him in another school then i'd take the teacher to court for no one and i fucking mean no one fucks with my family and gets away with it

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
First reaction: This teacher rocks!

Then after that, I read the article.

Teacher should be fired, or given psychiatric help.

Seriously, while I understand that the forms of 'discipline' at schools aren't exactly renowned for any major impact, this is just plain wrong.

If I was in that situation, I would send the kid home, or to his parents work. If necessary, I would drive him there, and explain that I had to drop everything I was doing due to the greatly disruptive influence of the child. I would make sure that the other kids had someone watch them and make sure the headmaster is aware.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Karathos said:
I like how everyone dodged the post about media bias, and kept right on going with the overly dramatic "OMG U SHUD B ASHAMED FOR CONDONING THIS MONSTROSITY" horseshit. Someone makes a good, logical point but that's not dramatic so let's keep this show going. OUTRAGE WAAH. Give me a fucking break.

I was punished when I was younger. I spoke in class at age 7 and after multiple orders to stop the teacher threw a soaking wet eraser sponge at me. I stopped? Why then and not before? Because I was betting on her not doing anything, and she proved me wrong. But nowadays heaven forbid someone's precious little flower be taught that not following the rules and say... ruining a lesson by talking and interrupting, or bullying the other kids - has CONSEQUENCES.

If anything the people defending this and talking about verbal reprimand or extra homework or some crock should be ashamed. You're willingly blinding yourself to the realities of the world, and if this keeps going there'll be more and more entitled shits ruining the education system because teachers are powerless to stop them. Thank god or whatever I work for the Finnish Defence Forces. Would lose my mind having to watch some snotty punk skate because he can't be touched - literally and metaphorically.
But this isn't teaching kids a lesson other then violence solves their problems, when you tell 24 kids to hit another kid in retaliation (for something unspecified) you might as well be making 24 new bullies.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Karathos said:
If by "beating up" you mean pussyfooted light brushing that a timid 6-year old will do in a situation like that - sure.

It seems like the people going "omg u gusy forgotted hes only six?!" have forgotten the others were also only six. Unless one of those kids is some sort of boxing prodigy with some pent-up rage, I'm pretty confident the POOR INNOCENT BULLY survived pretty much unscathed.
The problem is the action and lesson itself, not how much that person was hurt, as people have said before, this really just teaches kids that violence solves their problems, and that if they don't like somebody, hit them. Obviously this isn't a problem at 6, but it is when they get older.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Jesus, he's fucking 6 years old - do any of them remember being 6, let me guess, yes, lots of those commenters remember the torment and distress caused by 6 year old kids. Myself, I got bullied, every does at some point, but I remember the torment caused by the teachers more than anything. Seriously, I remember being 6, and telling my teacher that I read the whole book she gave me for homework, her reply... ''What do you expect me to do about it''. Yeah, give those fucktard teachers a medal for standing up to 6 year olds, maybe hold a parade in their 'honour'. There are a lot of teachers out there that shouldn't be teachers, kids that young will soon figure out what works socially, they have to figure that out for themselves, it's not a teachers problem to fix, interference just causes more problems. Teachers are fucked in the head if they think that having 20-odd pupils line up on one kid is fair play. Nobody knows the effect it had on the supposed bully for the whole class to be put in that position of authority. That 'bully' is no longer entitled to an identity, anything he says or does will be judged, to see if another queue up is in order. It's a disgrace, the teacher needs to lose their job, clearly not intelligent enough to realise that promoting any kind of violence is a bad idea. Promoting group violence against a 6 year old is a fucking retarded idea, I don't see how that can possibly be excused.

scrambledeggs

Aug 17, 2009
Cheery Lunatic said:
Mr.K. said:
Well I was pretty shocked until I read the headline... "Texas teacher"... now I'm only shocked the teacher didn't shoot the kid outright.
Oh hey, three posts until we got an ignorant one like this. Record.
You do realize it's illegal to take all or any kind of weapon onto school grounds unless you're a cop? We have detention and suspension here for discipline. You know, like any other American school.
And San Antonio is a super nice place. I'm surprised this happened there.

OT: I see the thought process, but it's more than a little extreme. She's promoting a very dangerous message to those kids.
Though I doubt that kid is ever gonna bully anyone else again.
Cause no-one ever did ANYthing illegal, or stupid, say like allowing some kids to beat up another kid?

Your argument is invalid. Legal guns = guns wherever the person holding it wants, regardless of 'legalities'.

OT: stupid teacher is stupid.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Torrasque said:
Revenge solves nothing

OT: On one hand I can't say I agree with what the teacher did; getting the kids to beat on this bully seems a little extreme. On the other hand, as someone who was on the receiving end of bullying, I know for a fact the usual tactics rarely work if ever.

There's also the issue of there not being much information on the victim other than "he's a bully". Was he force feeding kids mud and dislocating elbows? Did he push another student once? There's no way to tell what an appropriate level of punishment would have been.