Teague Labs Puts Mario In A Box

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Teague Labs Puts Mario In A Box

[vimeo=28781718]

Teague Labs' latest gadget is a brilliant example of geek crafting that finally answers the question, "what if Shigeru Miyamoto worked strictly with cardboard?"

An initial glance at the box might give you the impression that it is your ordinary, run-of-the-mill cardboard container. Open it up however, and you see that it is actually a fully functional, sidescrolling platformer.

The tech behind this gadget baffles me a bit, so I'll let Geek.com explain:

The box is deceptively plain looking. Pull the front tab, and the flap lifts up. A start-up sound signals the beginning of the game, and the level begins to scroll. Enemies and blocks move from left to right, and the player must avoid them. A knob on the side of the box controls the character which is attached to an arm and servo that moves vertically as you turn the knob. An LED light blinks as the level gets faster, and if you knock into an enemy, the box closes. Game over.

The box makes use of one of Teague's own products, the Teagueduino, which aims to take the difficulty out of coding and electronics. A continuous rotation servo keeps the level scrolling, another servo moves the arm, and Mario is outfitted with a magnetic sensor that stops the game when it passes over an enemy, which is also outfitted with a magnet. Finally, a servo-controlled popsicle stick opens and closes the box.

a detailed breakdown of the tech at the Teagueduino website [http://labs.teague.com/?p=1183].

Normally this is where I'd point out that Nintendo is incredibly protective of its intellectual properties and that its lawyers may be drafting a cease and desist letter at this very moment, but I love this thing, so I'd rather not jinx it.

As long as this doesn't get out, it can be our awesome little secret. Nobody tell Nintendo, okay?

Source: Geek.com [http://www.geek.com/articles/geek-cetera/teague-labs-creates-a-side-scrolling-video-game-in-a-box-2011099/]

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
I want one now. NOW!
I DON'T CARE IF IT CAN'T BE SOLD,I WANT ONE FUCKING NOW!!!!

Chaos James

Bastion of Debauchery
May 27, 2011
Oh man, I would love one of these. Heck, with the enemies being basic magnets, it looks like you could easily customize this thing to be anything from Mario to the Legend of Zelda, heck Sonic would be a good fit.

If I was technically able I'd build it myself, but a nice prebuilt copies or heck even Do-it-Yourself kits would probably sell well among geeks.\

tl:dr - Do Want:Take Money

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
Wait a minute. Mario is walking from right to left. This violates every known rule of Mushroom Kingom physics.

tinymonstr

Sep 9, 2011
Alphakirby & Chaos James,

OK, I promise I'm tryin to keep the sales pitch to a minimum :) But, for serious: you can totally make this yourselves (or your own version, or something completely different and more awesome).

The technology inside it is a kit we've made called the Teagueduino, I won't go too much into it but the idea is to make getting started with electronics really, really accessible. I recommend watching the video on the kickstarter page: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/teague/teagueduino-learn-to-make that talks about it a bit.

The coding to make this isn't too crazy either, PLUS it's all open source, and with Teagueduino board it's just a couple clicks to be up and running.

For instance all the code for the Mario box is available here: http://teagueduino.org/index.php?p=/discussion/22

Then it's all just a matter of plugging in some stuff and gluing a bunch of goombas to some magnets and you're set :)

Seriously though. I'm trying really hard not to make the hard sell, just excited about this project :D If you can, it'd be great to get support on kickstarter, but we know our price at the moment isn't perfect, but I promise we're always working to make the whole kit as cheap as we can.

We could also just sell Mario boxes (legal business aside) but what's awesome about the whole project is you can build anything you want. tear it apart when you're bored and build something new and exciting.

You could even make Mario walk the right direction :)

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Mark D. Stroyer said:
Where's Solid Snake when you need him?
Living in his custom Box filled with smokes and all the beer he can drink I mean dont you wonder why he loves the boxes so much hes made them into pimped out homes :p

On Topic: GIVE ME ONE I dont care have all my money just give me one

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
tinymonstr said:
Seriously though. I'm trying really hard not to make the hard sell, just excited about this project :D If you can, it'd be great to get support on kickstarter, but we know our price at the moment isn't perfect, but I promise we're always working to make the whole kit as cheap as we can.
Don't worry about it,we all ramble about things we're excited about sometimes,and now I have a use for some of the disposable income heading my way soon! =D