Team Fortress 2 F2P Ban mod WTH?

friedo.obrain

Jan 29, 2010
Sizzle Montyjing said:
Why exactly, would you want to ban F2P players?
I don't really understand the logic behind that...

Surely after now, they've become skilled enough, right?

Anyway, cue the swarms of people ignoring how unfairly biased this is...
Well i didn't understand the reasoning either but i just read a comment on the "tf2 i making s***loads of money" article that made me change my mind. The reasoning is what does someone who hasn't payed for a game care about getting their account banned for griefing etc.? nothing. So they preemptively ban them to... suggest buying something in the mann. co. store (which will give them equal privileges with those who own the game), which supposedly makes them value their account more and curbs griefing and other such behaviors... Of course this is a... strange away of going about things but judging by that same article (where it's mentioned 30% of tf2 players spend money on the game) it works

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
arragonder said:
Golan Trevize said:
Yes, it's within the rights of whoever owns a server to choose who he or she wants to play.
actually the F2P ban mod (which I downloaded to read through the source, it's literally 3 lines not counting comments XD)is a really gray area since it's implemented using steam tools which is sketchy. it doesn't outright break any rules it's just shady if you're a big believer in EULAs.

OP: hyperbole much? the thing about private servers is that they're PRIVATE and all this bitching and moaning only serves to vindicate people that run this mod, I certainly wouldn't want anyone this whiny to play with me
It's less "grey area" and more "likely to break if Valve so much as touch the tools in question". At least, that's how past grey area mods have broken, and I wouldn't be surprised if this breaks in a similar manner.

friedo.obrain

Jan 29, 2010
Sizzle Montyjing said:

Well i didn't understand the reasoning either but i just read a comment on the "tf2 i making s***loads of money" article that made me change my mind. The reasoning is what does someone who hasn't payed for a game care about getting their account banned for griefing etc.? nothing. So they preemptively ban them to... suggest buying something in the mann. co. store (which will give them equal privileges with those who own the game), which supposedly makes them value their account more and curbs griefing and other such behaviors... Of course this is a... strange away of going about things but judging by that same article (where it's mentioned 30% of tf2 players spend money on the game) it works

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Not really seeing an issue - there's hardly a shortage of servers for TF2. And why would you want to play with arse holes that think like that anyway?

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Whoever owns the server gets to set the rules and that's fine. You have plenty of servers where the mod isn't used.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
JohnReaper said:
Golan Trevize said:
Yes, it's within the rights of whoever owns a server to choose who he or she wants to play.
I never said that it wasn't, What got me was that they made a mod for the fact of banning someone over if they have paid anything or not, I agree its with the rights for hosts to say "I don't like yourface *ban" its a bit childish but it is their computer and their connection.

My point (If it wasn't clear) was is it right to attack another player of a game on a Metagame scale Recently my friend had to go through 5 FIVE name changes because her old guild pretty much took her name and ran it through barbwire and salt and threatened to do it with any one that played with her. Doesn't the company have some obligation to make sure things like these don't happen? I know its hard but I'm talking things like serverwide smear campaigns, that is activly hindering if not out right preventing the play of their product?

edit: this goes double for games like WoW, I know its fucking huge and you would need something akin to the National Guard to sort through the emails but really, if it comes down to not being provided a service that you have paid for then they should do something

On the F2P side of this though, Yes they have less weight when it comes to "domestic" problems but when I was playing a F2P game I actually spent 50$ because the mods took time to look into my issue (It was a simple game error telling the quest npc I wasn't done because I was a F2Per)
How does a company have a responsibility to protect people from others being dicks online. I'd sure like that insurance.
"Hey, some one tea-bag you? We auto ban them from existence."
Plus no offense if you didn't pay for anything, what does a company really owe you? WELCOME TO CAPITALISM!

Spy_Guy

Mar 16, 2010
If you own a server, that's your sandbox.

You get to decide who gets to play in your sandbox.
Skip the entitlement, fellows; you have no right to play on any server, because it is solely up to the administrator for the server in question whether or not you're welcome.

So, servers are not free space.
You have no rights, whatsoever.

Easy to forget, isn't it?

Kataiser

Apr 16, 2009
Yeah, you'll always find people like that on the internet. I really don't care about F2P or paid or whatever. Everyone can be killed and everyone can try to kill me, so all's fair. I find that the same people that ban F2P players are the people that ban players for winning too hard, and that does happen. It's annoyingly common sometimes...

Soraryuu

Aug 16, 2009
Sizzle Montyjing said:

People are just jealous that they got something for free that they themselves had to pay for.

Sep 30, 2010
I don't really know why anyone would want to use this and it's bad, unfair, etc. BUT if someone pays for and runs a server then they should be able to run it however they want.

alik44

Sep 11, 2010
I believe Extra credits did a show on P2P and F2P relations or at least touched on it.

OP: if this does get a bit out of hand this may ruin the game. (Even though its highly unlikely it would)

Savryc

NAPs, Spooks and Poz. Oh my!
Aug 4, 2011
God, gamers are a petty bunch. The things they feel superior about aren't half daft. In TF2 alone there's this F2P nonsense and all that crap about the Cheaters Lament, I remember casually joining a server with that funny little halo I received, took about 3 steps and got booted and banned. Strange, strange people.

spazzattack

Mar 25, 2008
There are servers that are entirely based around the trading in TF2. Free-to-Play players are restricted from trading in-game, so it makes sense for these servers to keep certain players from taking up slots other trading players could use. Perhaps some private servers hosted by douches will also apply the mod, but very few will use it overall. Luckily most of the newer players will play on Valve's dedicated servers all the time, which sort of selects them out from people who need more challenge.

Zefar

May 11, 2009
The reason they do this is because they are elitist pricks and for some reason they hate newbies.

Kinda like how Dota crowd are generally tearing up newbies who fail at things. Might even ban then if they are bad enough.