Team Fortress 2 Goes Free-to-Play, Meets the Medic

klausaidon

Aug 4, 2009
They will probably actually make more money off this venture... The sale of TF2 must have declined, since most people who would want TF2, has probably bought it by now. And this will attract the last few who were on the fence, or didn't care enough to throw down the cash to play. They will be able to play for a bit, perhaps actually get into it, and buy the full access, or any of the items that they are hawking for it.

This is actually a very smooth move by Valve.

Kuth

Jan 14, 2009
klausaidon said:
They will probably actually make more money off this venture... The sale of TF2 must have declined, since most people who would want TF2, has probably bought it by now. And this will attract the last few who were on the fence, or didn't care enough to throw down the cash to play. They will be able to play for a bit, perhaps actually get into it, and buy the full access, or any of the items that they are hawking for it.

This is actually a very smooth move by Valve.
Pretty much. The Free 2 play model has been proven to be quite effective in revenue. The game is how old now? 2007, if Wikipedia is showing up right. An FPS after four years and is still popular, it's a hard idea to put a price tag on it while having elements of a Free to play system. If anything, this update is a long time coming.

Grufflenark

Nov 17, 2010
Aerograt said:
Not really about the game going F2P (I don't really care, honestly I like the social aspects of MMOs and this sounds like the route TF2 is taking), but... Um...

WAS MEET THE MEDIC FREAKIN' AWESOME OR WHAT???!?!?!
Indeed it was.
Also, CONSPIRACY TIME.

Notice how the fridge is seemingly the same as in meet the sandvich, maybe meet the sandvich is seen from the Spies view?

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
This guy called it:

Corkydog said:
Theory: TF2 is going free 2 play.

Evidence: This would be a huge update, the ManCo store already exists, the game is already several years old so new copies sold is less and less likely, Valve recently said they are developing a f2p game or games, and Steam now has f2p functionality.

Oh, and TF2 has been used as a testing ground for Valve's wacky new ideas for a long time now, so if they were going to experiment, this would be the game to do it with.

Because dropping a free 2 play DotA 2 on us without at least trying out the concept in a safer environment is a tad risky.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Called it.
OH HOT DAMN, I got nninjad by the guy I was quoting.

>.>

Anyways, glad to see this happen.

Seems like i'll have to get back into it... Any spy tips?

EDekar

Feb 3, 2011
While I'm not personally very good at the class, if you're good at learning via observation, here's one of the better players I've found out there: http://www.youtube.com/user/omfgninja

Watch his stuff, pay attention to what he does, and use Youtube to learn what you can about the class. Great place to learn about any of the classes, really! Could also look up TF2Tactics, lots of good crunchy info from that guy. :3

godfist88

Dec 17, 2010
Awesome, that video was tight. Medic is my favorite character, I'm glad to see they finally made a meet the medic trailer. you think they'll make a meet the Pyro trailer?

JordanXlord

Mar 29, 2010
Thanks Valve...i always wanted to get TF2 and now i can :D

also

"Doctor will this work?"

"I have no idea"

Best Line ever

Bran1470

Feb 24, 2010
well the time i spent playing team fortress today was the worst ever. There were so many trolls and idiots that my tf experience was ruined.

Aerograt

Jan 7, 2011
Grufflenark said:
Also, CONSPIRACY TIME.

Notice how the fridge is seemingly the same as in meet the sandvich, maybe meet the sandvich is seen from the Spies view?
I'm not sure why I smiled when I read that, but it definitely seems like a possibility. No wonder the Medic didn't kill him, he wanted to make him suffer by waving the delicious Sandvich in front his face.

...Well, his head.

Grufflenark

Nov 17, 2010
Jabberwock xeno said:
This guy called it:

Corkydog said:
Theory: TF2 is going free 2 play.

Evidence: This would be a huge update, the ManCo store already exists, the game is already several years old so new copies sold is less and less likely, Valve recently said they are developing a f2p game or games, and Steam now has f2p functionality.

Oh, and TF2 has been used as a testing ground for Valve's wacky new ideas for a long time now, so if they were going to experiment, this would be the game to do it with.

Because dropping a free 2 play DotA 2 on us without at least trying out the concept in a safer environment is a tad risky.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Called it.
OH HOT DAMN, I got nninjad by the guy I was quoting.

>.>

Anyways, glad to see this happen.

Seems like i'll have to get back into it... Any spy tips?
Don't be an obvious failspy and it will go alright.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
and valve amazes me once more with their ability to step up and show those 19 century game makers that free to play games work and even converting a working pay to play to pay game will work.
then again TF2 was all about microtransactions anyway.

InevitableFate

May 10, 2009
For the record. I've played something like 800-900 hours on TF2.

I bought the Orange Box shortly after it came out.

Do I think Valve are shortchanging me by letting other people play for free? No.

I got what I paid for, then several hundred hours more.

kevin32

Jun 25, 2011
Not everyone's happy.

For those who bought TF2 before it became free, check this out:

http://www.cafepress.com/stupidhats

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
kevin32 said:
Not everyone's happy.

What is with team fortress and those hats? It's like valve just plain old exploited the simple desire of customization. Brink tried to cash in by a full body customization. Probably would have worked if it the game did better.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Because I do not have an inflated sense of entitlement I required nothing from my previous years of TF2 because the 10 dollars I paid was a billion times worth the price.

Also, I got a pretty slick hat for being into the game beforehand and that's a bonus but I didn't require it.

My game experience has not changed by it going f2p.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
kevin32 said:
Not everyone's happy.

Oh...WAAAH.

The game was $10 for the longest time before it became free. 10. Freaking. Dollars. That is not a lot of money. As for the hat that was given to the players who purchased the game, I like it.

It goes well with my new Tomislav. GO TEAM HEAVY!!

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
It seems like a really smart move on Valve's part. The number of people who would still buy the game has to be dwindling. F2P makes it so that a lot more people will come in and any of those that spend money makes it win-win for their company. I hope it won't damage the community, but I suppose we'll just have to see. I kinda wanted/expected a key or something for having bought the game but I don't feel entitled to it. I'm just glad the game has received so much continued support and will for the foreseeable future. My only REAL complaint with the new update is a lof of the new items are pretty boring and no love for engy!