Team Fortress 2 Update To Fix Community Made Exploits

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Team Fortress 2 Update To Fix Community Made Exploits

Valve's upcoming patch for Team Fortress 2 deals exclusively in community content, including two all-new custom maps.

Team Fortress 2 has been closely tied to Steam's Workshop for two years, and for the most part <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124953-Team-Fortress-2-Workshop-Pays-Millions-to-Custom-Creators>it's worked out well for Valve. Not only has the hat-and-weapons-based economy grown by leaps and bounds, the developer was able to release an entire official update <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124142-Robotic-Boogaloo-Is-TF2s-First-Community-Created-Update>based exclusively on community content. Unfortunately, beneficial as all this custom loot may be, it carries certain drawbacks in-game. The original TF2 maps weren't designed to accommodate hundreds of additional items, leading to unforeseen bugs and exploits that players can take advantage of. According to Valve, Team Fortress 2's incoming update goes a long way towards fixing the problem, and also includes two community maps for your gaming pleasure.

"TF2 has been evolving since the day we released it back in 2007," <a href=http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=11023>a Team Fortress 2 blog post reads. "Unfortunately, as players' tactics and abilities have grown, so have the bugs and exploits in some of the maps. For example, since Badwater shipped in The Heavy Update, TF2 has added more than 140 weapons to the game, some of which introduced new capabilities: sentry jumping, rocket jumping with no health cost, the ability to pick up and move your buildings. All of these are just a fraction of the many ways players can now turn maps like Badwater upside down."

The post goes on to describe how players can "sentry jump" weapons to out-of-reach rooftops, or construct buildings inside a team's spawn point. In response, Valve has eliminated a number of exploits across most maps, rebalancing Team Fortress 2 for anyone unfamiliar with the exploits. "While we love players coming up with new and inventive ways to win," the post continues, "let's face it: It's never fun to be gunned down from above and behind."

As comprehensive as the update would already be, it will include more than just exploit fixes. Valve previously stated <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124953-Team-Fortress-2-Workshop-Pays-Millions-to-Custom-Creators>that it will feature gold star, community-made content, and has revealed two Capture Point maps as teasers. Created by Ian Cuslidge, each map strongly embodies TF2's iconic environments, but were selected for their intuitive layouts and lack of visual noise.

[gallery=1625]

Valve has promised to post additional details on the update as we approach its release. Still, I have to wonder: If Valve uses an update to fix custom exploits, but packs it with more community content, how long will it be before we need yet another comprehensive bug fix?

Source: Joystiq

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Holy shit. TF2 has maps?! I think Valve is focusing too much on the "war" in "war-themed hat simulator".

Next Update: Adds 178 new hats and misc items, with 3 new types of crates.

NitroSquirril

Aug 7, 2010
I don't think we have to worry too much about exploits with these new maps. Or at least with Process. The competitive community has been playing the crap out of that map for a year now.

Not sure how these will work out in a public environment, since they were both very explicitly designed for 6v6. Maybe valve will sprinkle more health and ammo into the official version. Regardless, it's a very solid map at its core and I think people will enjoy it... Especially anyone who knows how to rampslide

Phrostbit3n

Jul 6, 2013
I know people complain that Valve isn't doing anything anymore, but any company that can string content updates together that are completely fan-made are fucking geniuses. If they were a AAA Company, we'd be playing Team Fortress: Zombies Attack Modern Wars 4 (With Hats).

TL;DR: I'm a Valve fan-boy and proud!

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Diablo1099 said:
To be honest, as nice as the official maps are, I'd say most players are using custom maps.
Maybe on the servers you frequent, but I think overall the official maps are still incredibly popular. Some of my friends still almost exclusively play on 24/7 2fort servers.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
UNHchabo said:
Maybe on the servers you frequent, but I think overall the official maps are still incredibly popular. Some of my friends still almost exclusively play on 24/7 2fort servers.
Well...I don't actually have the game, but seeing how much user content there is being made, Maps are a given.

Still, thanks for the correction and I retract my comment.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Diablo1099 said:
UNHchabo said:
Well...I don't actually have the game, but seeing how much user content there is being made, Maps are a given.

It's more that user-created content is such a coin-toss in terms of quality. Most people aren't willing to put dozens of hours into creating a map, so you end up with hundreds of quick maps that beginners can chug out in a few hours. CS had tons of "aim" and "fy" maps, and DOD:S had tons of "orange" maps. Despite this, Dust2 is still the most popular map in CS. You just can't beat the time and effort that tends to be put into the launch maps, since they tend to be balanced properly, and many people like being able to concentrate on tactics without having to learn a new location.

Sep 14, 2009
Diablo1099 said:
UNHchabo said:

i do believe unhchabo is correct, in my experience, most community made stuff is for private or close-knit servers of friends and stuff, most official maps are pretty standard for 24/7 public servers, as it's so easy to hop and go on those servers when you just want some tf2 basic fun for a bit.

also, alot of the custom maps i've come across are just add-ons or adjustments of current maps, that add in a staircase here or there, just to give teams more ways to get into bases and stuff, so it all falls back to the original stuff most of the time anyways.

COULD be wrong though, have no idea what goes on in those crazy europe/uk/australia/asian servers...

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
I wonder when this forum (and other places, as well) will come up with new jokes. The "LOL HATS" and "VALVE CAN'T COUNT TO 3 LOOOOOOL" shit is kinda stale at this point, don't you think?

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
UNHchabo said:
Diablo1099 said:
To be honest, as nice as the official maps are, I'd say most players are using custom maps.
SHUN! SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNN!
The only time I play on a 24/7 2fort server is when I'm in the mood to troll Snipers as a Dead Ringer Spy or Demo with the jumper/caber loadout. 2fort is, in my opinion, one of the worst official maps in the game.

Good to hear Valve is finally taking a break from constant hat releases to address some of the actual gameplay issues.

Now let's hope they start working on the huge laundry list of various bugs the community has compiled:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3137901

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
I would've expected it, the update contains new hats. It's truelly honoring the "hat simulator" part.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Neverhoodian said:
The only time I play on a 24/7 2fort server is when I'm in the mood to troll Snipers as a Dead Ringer Spy or Demo with the jumper/caber loadout. 2fort is, in my opinion, one of the worst official maps in the game.
They couldn't not include it; it's been a staple of the series since the original Quake mod.

I've played a fair share of 2fort in TFC, but then again it tended to be much more fun than several of the other maps like Dustbowl, given how prevalent nade spam was in that game. Dustbowl's bottlenecks (before the maps were thankfully reworked for TF2) made it so that a single EMP nade from an engie would wipe out half the attacking team. By contrast, 2fort was fairly open, and much less prone to nade spam. Yeah, a good sniper could effectively shut down the map (this is why they added the roof for TF2), but that's why you have the waterway route.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
cp_process is probably one of my all time favorite maps. It'll be nice to see it get added to all the vanilla rotation servers.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
The biggest problem with the Sticky Jumper is that it's usable in the actual game at all. It and the Rocket Jumper were designed to be used for practice with explosive jumping, not actual gameplay. The Rocket Jumper isn't a big issue since it can only send you as far as a normal rocket launcher and leaves you without a primary weapon to boot, but the Sticky Jumper lets you lay down three or more bombs at a time and jump all the way across the map a lot of the time. They really need to nerf it so that it can only lay one bomb at a time.

I wonder if they'll finally fix the exploit in 2fort that let engineers block a door on BLU's side but not RED's.