Team Meat and Microsoft: Friends Forever!

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Team Meat and Microsoft: Friends Forever!

Team Meat mends fences with Microsoft in advance of a big update and Super Meat Boy sale on Xbox Live.

Remember back when Team Meat co-founder Edmund McMillen said of Microsoft, "I don't think we'll ever work with them again?" That was back in shabby treatment [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112912-Team-Meat-Wont-Go-Back-to-Microsoft] of its hit game on the Xbox Live Arcade. But now it's October and that apparently means that everybody's friends again and it's hugs all around.

"Super Meat Boy will get a sale on XBLA next month! (so save your points)," McMillen revealed on Team Meat Blog [http://supermeatboy.com/107/OUR_BOY_TURNS_ONE_/#b]. "We don't have a set date yet, but we have been talking to MS, patched things up and are going to be putting SMB on sale on XBLA next month along with a free update that will add tons of new levels to 'Teh Internets.' Its a new year and we are putting the past behind us and all agreeing to do what is best for SMB and the fans."

The "doing what's best for SMB" line sounds rather like a couple of parents in a contentious divorce who have agreed not to squabble in front of the kids, but with Super Meat Boy [http://www.amazon.com/Super-Meat-Boy-Ultra-Pc/dp/B004NS77OM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319732617&sr=8-1] an indisputable success, Microsoft has a bit more of an incentive to give it the push that was promised the first time around, which could prove to be very lucrative for the Team Meat guys. Everybody wins, in other words - except those of us who get a cheap kick out of silly internet drama.

Team Meat is also holding a "party" throughout all of November to celebrate the one-year anniversary of the Super Meat Boy launch on XBLA, with contests, more updates, sales, videos, giveaways and "probably a ton of other random shit that we come up with as the month goes by."

via: IndustryGamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/super-meat-boy-creators-reconcile-with-microsoft/]

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
I wonder who's blood is written on the contract. Good luck anyway, to who person sold his/her sou...company.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
mad825 said:
I wonder who's blood is written on the contract. Good luck anyway, to who person sold his/her sou...company.
Why did they have to sell their soul exactly? Or sign the "contract" in blood? And why does there have to be some "contract", this is not a Faustian bargain. They complained about their mistreatment and they got better terms. Grow up. WooOOoOoo a company is evil, woOOoOooo. Grow up. Don't worry btw, "who person" will be fine, I'm sure.

As for what I originally wanted to comment, so I know Minecraft is coming to 360. Any possibility of getting the playable Minecraft Steve character added into 360 copies of the game now in that free update?

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
Ghengis John said:
mad825 said:
Why did they have to sell their soul exactly? Or sign the "contract" in blood? And why does there have to be some "contract", this is not a Faustian bargain. They complained about their mistreatment and they got better terms. Grow up. WooOOoOoo a company is evil, woOOoOooo. Grow up. Don't worry btw, "who person" will be fine, I'm sure.

As for what I originally wanted to comment, so I know Minecraft is coming to 360. Any possibility of getting the playable Minecraft Steve character added into 360 copies of the game now in that free update?
Sorry to barge in the conversation, but i kinda think that "mad825" is kinda right... There are companies that after a contract seem to do everything for profit, and ultematly screwing smaller indie groups over or even smaller companies. I thik Microsoft and EA are the worst out there when it comes to that Capitalist "Screw the World" matter.

Microsoft for example i'll never forgive what thy did to Rare team, and how poor the xlba service is...

In case of EA, is for trying to copy every other game, giving short deadlines to the developers, trashing good ideas and go back to remakes and more copies of other games, and terminating great smaller dev companies, just because they couldn't hold over the ridiculous demands they give.

Not saying every company is evil...

Hell i love Double Fine and Valve. Blizzard is not my favourite but even i have to admit, they take care of they're community.

Aniway, it's good to see microsoft giving some credit to super meat boy.... finnaly!!! :D

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
TitanAtlas said:
Sorry to barge in the conversation, but i kinda think that "mad825" is kinda right...
Oh that edit wounded me, you know what I'm talking about, lol.
Not saying every company is evil...
Nah you have a bias that's fine. It's self-evident:
I thik Microsoft and EA are the worst out there when it comes to that Capitalist "Screw the World" matter.
So I'm not too flustered either way. Fact if the matter is I'm pretty sure team meat lost nothing in this arrangement. It's good for everyone all around and the exchange of souls, while delightfully taboo, was not required.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
Ghengis John said:
Oh that edit wounded me, you know what I'm talking about, lol.
Yes i know what you're talking about :D

Nah you have a bias that's fine. It's self-evident
I kinda think i'm angry with a reason though...
So I'm not too flustered either way. Fact if the matter is I'm pretty sure team meat lost nothing in this arrangement. It's good for everyone all around and the exchange of souls, while delightfully taboo, was not required.
Well i think Exchange of Souls is pretty exagerated, but fact is, microsoft didn't gave the deserved attention to SMB for a looooooooong time. The developers had they're rights to be angry. But i hope everything works nicely for the Devs, and i wonder if they're going to include The Binding of Isaac on XLBA later on... and hopefully if it reaches the deserved place, that microsoft gives it the deserved attention sooner...

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
TitanAtlas said:
Well i think Exchange of Souls is pretty exagerated, but fact is, microsoft didn't gave the deserved attention to SMB for a looooooooong time.
Oh yeah, fairly said.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Ghengis John said:
mad825 said:
Dude, what's you problem?

I meant nothing by it, either clam down or grow up. That was seriously uncalled for.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
mad825 said:
I meant nothing by it, either clam down or grow up. That was seriously uncalled for.
I didn't get enough souls this morning, sorry. And I'm not even mad. Observe how I interact with titanatlas. That's just how I talk.

Like here:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.320105-pick-what-video-game-or-moive-universe-you-would-live-in#13072400

You might think I was mad, if you took it out of context.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
Ghengis John said:
mad825 said:
I didn't get enough souls this morning, sorry. And I'm not even mad. Observe how I interact with titanatlas. That's just how I talk.
It's just a "matter perception" of how the question was posed and the answer was given. In the beggining i thinked you were being a little too arrogant in the "Mad825" post, but that didn't bother me much, so we changed points of view and had a delightfull conversation.

Not sure if "matter of perspective" or "matter of perception" though...