Team Meat "Doesn't F*cking Care" About Pirates

Omechron

Apr 15, 2009
rembrandtqeinstein said:
And here is when the article went south
Thank you, I thought I was the only one who was mad about that. Way to take something awesome somebody said and twist it into something negative.

LT Cannibal 68

Dec 9, 2010
the whole piracy turns to sales thing is true hell i'm a convert i bought two copies of the game one for myself and one for my mother (she plays games too.....alot) after i pirated the game and saw how awesome it was.

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
Extra Credits had an excellent episode on this a while back: Here you go enjoy!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/2653-Piracy

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Kinda ironic how one of the douchebaggiest devs ever was the first to realise that piracy can be a good thing.

The game's fucking awesome though, if horribly underpolished. I'm bordering on 100% but it KEEPS BEATING ME ;-;

19X on Cotton Alley is awful. Haow you maek complete?

AlohaJo

Nov 3, 2010
I just played the game when it was a small online game [http://armorgames.com/play/2388/meat-boy] that was free to begin with. So yeah.

raankh

Nov 28, 2007
I call bs on their statement. If they really didn't care, they would publish the game as shareware or some free-to-play model. I agree that it sounds like they're commenting out of helplessness.

OTOH, if they're selling enough to break even and take out salaries, all's good. We don't need more people trying to earn a fortune in the games industry, or worse yet-- expecting to get wealthy as a third party.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Lacsapix said:
hurray!
the game industry should focus more on the game then focusing on DRM and piracy.
It always seems as the indie developers are the smart ones,doesn't it?

OT:Team Meat has to be the first time I've seen a game developer see the bright side to piracy,as well as not give a shit and focus on making good games. Now only if the rest of the gaming industry had this kind of mind set,we could actually move forward in the world!

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
martintox said:
Finally,final-f*ckingly,a company that thinks about the positive side of piracy.
There is no "positive side" to piracy. It's simply a matter of trying to find the best way to deal with douchebags.
How so? Because I don't really see any actual downsides to having millions of viral marketers that hire themselves with no paperwork necessary on your end at about ?50 of theoretical money(or ?10 in Team Meat's case).

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
...Team Meat, do you need a hug? Say what you like, but money is important and I still feel it's not right that people would steal your hard work. I can't think of anything good you can do to stop them except maybe do what Earthbound did (i.e. more monsters, freeze game, and delete ALL save data just as they face the final boss) and there's no telling how quickly pirates can work their way around that...

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
"It's an unusual, although not unique, attitude toward the problem of piracy, probably borne in large part out of sheer helplessness. If Activision and EA are effectively helpless to stop piracy, what's a two-man indie studio going to do? Might as well accept it, roll with it and hope that appreciation for the game and respect for the little guy is enough to turn at least a few takers into buyers."

Maybe that, or maybe they realize just how effective viral marketing can be. F2P models certainly seem to be effective even though only a fraction pay for the product. Economically F2P games and heavily pirated games have similar traits.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
"...don't *^&%ing care..."

nice one, new respect... you are right, some pirates actually buys all games that are worth it!

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
This is such an excellent approach to the piracy problem. Here is a dev team who knows they don't have the resources to go after piracy and accepts they are out there. At least Super Meat Boy doesn't have ridiculous DRM..

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
martintox said:
Finally,final-f*ckingly,a company that thinks about the positive side of piracy.
There is no "positive side" to piracy. It's simply a matter of trying to find the best way to deal with douchebags.
Like they said, piracy means more copies of a game with people, more copies of the game out there then the brandname is going to be better known.

Is Piracy good? No.
Is more publicity a good thing? Yes.
Does it justify Piracy? No.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
martintox said:
If there's "no 'positive side' to piracy," you'd better watch out, because there's also then no "positive side" to game reviews or advertising.

Just because something has a negative aspect doesn't mean it has no positive aspects. That's a logical fallacy.

While I'm at it, you know that playing commercial music or video for a group of more than three other people is illegal without the express written consent of the copyright holder, yes? If you play music at a party, you're just as guilty of piracy as someone who plays an illegally obtained game.

Are you going to argue that there's "no 'positive side' to piracy" even in that case? If so, well, at least you're being intellectually honest.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Well it's not like Team Meat have to worry about pirates, since as far as I can tell they've made nothing actually worth pirating.