Team Ninja Getting More Emotional With Ninja Gaiden 3

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
That was thanks to Itagaki, who is now no longer part of Team Ninja.

Believe it or not, the original Ninja Gaiden was the first game to introduce cutscenes and a complex storyline to videogames. Before then, plots were throw-away, or non-existant. The original Ninja Gaiden introduced a plot that had multiple characters, each with their own motivations, key narrative events that shaped what happened in the game, and cutscenes which illustrated key plot points. For the time, it was nothing short of a revolution. While I love how the new series has updated its hack-and-slash roots for the new millenium, I was always slightly saddened by how storytelling took a definite backwards step. For all that it gets laughed at, the original Ninja Gaiden pretty much invented modern storytelling techniques on games.

While I doubt that the new game will have anywhere near the impact of the original's story, I applaud the fact that the Mr. Hayashi is going to strive for a more emotional narrative. If they can pull off an engaging story, while still keeping the brutal difficulty and amazing fighting engine of the previous two NG games, then they'll have created a game that is a true successor to the original Ninja Gaiden. And that would be a fucking amazing game.
This. Back when I was a kid this was pretty much the coolest thing ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rkaiKYEkDQ

Ryujisama

Sep 3, 2010
Excuse me for not seeing this as a workable formula when this series is all about fast-paced action with demons and ninjas. Emotions were WAY further down the priority list when considering the previous games, and that formula seemed to work before. I can respect trying something new, but there are times when sticking to your guns works just as well.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Oh dear god no.

Just stick with moderately fun gameplay, it's the best you've ever managed.

Oh god, this is going to hurt.

luckycharms8282

Mar 28, 2009
Seems like they are trying to make the gaiden series more mainstream to bring in more monies.

"Hey! there's a ninja with huge boobs over there!"

"Cool?"

TriggerUnhappy

Mar 4, 2009
http://images.lazygamer.co.za/2009/09/TeamNinjaBoobs.jpg
This time, there's gonna be tears on them boobs

- Ninja Gaiden 3 Tagline

Mysnomer

Nov 11, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Team Ninja didn't kill Samus. The man-who-will-not-be-named (I can't fucking spell it), who created Metroid, did.
Sakamoto didn't create Metroid. He was only a supervisor for the series until he wrote the..."story" for Other M.

Mar 26, 2008
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Woodsey said:
As for the emotional thing, aren't these the guys who did boob-jiggle-physics with the Sixaxis?
That's what I was thinking. While I find his desire to make Ninja Gaiden more mature that thought just sat in my mind thinking what they're going to to about... Those.
I believe Tomonobu Itagaki was the driving force behind that sort of nonsense and he's left.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Mysnomer said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Team Ninja didn't kill Samus. The man-who-will-not-be-named (I can't fucking spell it), who created Metroid, did.
Sakamoto didn't create Metroid. He was only a supervisor for the series until he wrote the..."story" for Other M.
Thank you. Where did I get the impression of him creating it, though? All these Japanese names blur together after awhile...

Also, lol Other M "story"