Teen Arrested for Home-Made "Hot or Not" List on Facebook

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
Consequences for doing something online? Somebody being held accountable for slanderous activity in an otherwise anonymous environment?

Nice. I'm all for it.

Puzzlenaut

Mar 11, 2011
I fucking hate people.

Seriously, how fucked over is that kid, and for what? What amounts to nothing more than fucking name-calling, and not even truly, truly offensive name-calling -- just regular lad-ish bullying, is being punished with a potential jail sentence?
He's a fucking kid. He deserves nothing more than a stern talking to.

Seriously, I am so fucking pissed right now.

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
Agayek said:
AnteGravity said:
This pretty much demonstrates why Feminism is still strongly needed in Western society. Treating young girls like grades of meat and rating them on their sexual characteristics like it was the only thing they would ever be worth is so grotesquely abhorrent.

It definitely warrants legal action. This idiot caused a great deal of grievous mental and emotional anguish on so many of these girls publicly. That kind of behavior can not be condoned by any authority that hopes to remain credible.
No he didn't. He didn't exactly the same thing every single male does with every woman they meet. The only difference is that he put it on a piece of paper and shared it. This is no worse (hell, I'd say it's less of a problem) than calling someone a slut as they walk by.

Anyone who suffered "grevious mental and emotional anguish" from something this stupid deserves it.

There's absolutely no reason this should ever have gone to court. Yes, he should be punished. The school handled that. There should never have been mention of police intervention.
Reading this story has cause me to suffer "grevious mental and emotional anguish"; I should probably sue everyone involved.

thefrizzlefry

Feb 20, 2009
AnteGravity said:
It definitely warrants legal action. This idiot caused a great deal of grievous mental and emotional anguish on so many of these girls publicly. That kind of behavior can not be condoned by any authority that hopes to remain credible.
Ante, many men and women roam free despite having posted and spread similar sorts of things, only concerning who was most likely to shoot up the school they shared with me. You know who was always number one? I was. No one really bothered to talk to me until about the second semester of tenth grade, 3 or 4 years after the lists had started, and well after the damage had been done. Are the people behind these sorts of things major-league assholes? Yes. Is this a legal matter? No, I don't think so. Most teenagers are stupid, stupid, stupid fucking people, and shit like this happens all the time without much incidence, so dealing with this sort of thing via expulsion or suspension seems more appropriate. I do agree with your point about feminism, though, but I do want to reiterate that not all men are total assholes.

CakeDragon

Mar 10, 2009
So when people did this on MySpace but had their comments section hidden so not everyone could see, it's not the same thing?
When we played stuff like "Snog, Marry, Kill" in the playground we were never thrown into prison.

Maybe I'm taking this out of context. Yes it was bad that he said those nasty things about women. But maybe the sentencing was a little harsh. But of course, I can say that; I wasn't on the list. For the people who were, on the other hand, it's a different ball game entirely. I suppose what he did was cruel and sexist and to post it on Facebook for all to see... And for him to be applauded and cheered, it's really not good behaviour on his part. Some things are better left unsaid? I'm waffling now.

I think the moral of the story (or, the one I will take away from this story) is if you can't handle the heat, stay out the kitchen*. I see how irresponsible this kid was, but don't tell me any of those girls and judged guys themselves. I dunno, that's how I see it anyway. I've had my share of playground bitching, so I'm prepared to take some in return.

* Sorry for the kitchen joke on a topic about being sexist to women... Caught before the rest of you do ¬_¬

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
I did something similar to this in the short while I lived in America. It was over 10 years ago, so it wasn't on facebook, but was in class on paper. That's something we used to use back in the day. Believe it or not, it's made from pulped wood...

Anyways, it was a list of folks who I wanted to invite to my birthday. Being an artist (I draw for comics in my spare time, indie titles of course), there were doodles all over it, and in one corner there was a guy with a gun. The teacher found it, and I was expelled from school and sent to juvy for "terroristic threat".

No I am not making this shit up. It was in Atlanta. Keep in mind this was pre 9/11 as well, so heaven only knows what they'd have done to me only a few years later. I never got to go back to school in the US, and returned to Britain a short while later. I'm allowed to go back now, but I haven't had the opportunity, and it's a ***** getting into that damn country.

In this situation, I learned a few things:

1) Americans can be very uptight, which is ironic, as they claim the Brits are uptight

2) Physical evidence is a bad thing

3) In the US, no one listens to children, somewhat unfairly

4) Over the top reaction and severe punishment do nothing, and can be very harmful to people trapped in the system. Remember I went to juvy, so I'm not using myself as my sole experience to judge from

5) The American state school system is really poor. Not specific to my incident, but an observation nonetheless

6) Americans don't seem to appreciate their children enough for their own achievement.

7) A negative outlook only produces negativity. I was punished for possessing a drawing, in Britain I'd have probably been graded for it

8) (This one is very personal) The overtly conservative nature of America is harming the country. I'm not against conservatism when it's necessary, as no single political ideal will ever be appropriate for all situations, but the problem is America only has one political ideology, and that's a conservative one. You guys claim freedom, and to be in a free society, but you aren't. Everything is governed by money and power, but very little is governed by optimism, progressive thinking, the future, or care and respect for achievement.

Don't get me wrong, the UK (especially the last few years) has made shitty move after shitty move. We aren't perfect. America is, however, a brilliant country, with warm and interesting people, and a unique history. It's such a shame that vastly out of date politics wear it down, and even threaten the country's well being.

Enkidu88

Jan 24, 2010
AS much as this was a really dumbass thing to do, and completely repulsive, I'm not sure there's anything criminal about it. Everyone could sue him for Libel and defamation of character, but those are all civil offenses, nothing he can get jail time for.

nukethetuna

Nov 8, 2010
It would go against what American schools stand for if there was a definitive list telling people they were worse than other people.

Seriously, yeah it was a douche move, ranking people based on physical attractiveness is only for Maxim and Playboy, and something most of society practices. Er... regardless it's not something that should be in schools.
But this really should've been resolved with an expulsion/suspension or whatever. You know, like bullying to the degree that kids are traumatized regarding their sexuality, looks, race, anything else. Or fights that break out in school where a kid ends up bloodied to a pulp. That's resolved without police action the majority of the time. So... making a list on Facebook that might've hurt some feelings? Yeah I guess he should go straight to jail.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
He doesn't really need any actual law coming down on him, I think.

Though he is obviously an idiot, so I would like to suggest the punishment of allowing the girls to kick him in the crotch.

Once per girl.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Ah yes disorderly conduct...

might as well just call it what it really is "offending someone with power"

and sadly there isn't a country on earth that doesn't have a law like this on the books

AnteGravity

May 9, 2008
No he didn't. He didn't exactly the same thing every single male does with every woman they meet. The only difference is that he put it on a piece of paper and shared it. This is no worse (hell, I'd say it's less of a problem) than calling someone a slut as they walk by.

Anyone who suffered "grevious mental and emotional anguish" from something this stupid deserves it.

There's absolutely no reason this should ever have gone to court. Yes, he should be punished. The school handled that. There should never have been mention of police intervention.
This is grossly privileged and demonstrates very poor understanding of even basic human ethics.

Just because males mentally evaluate women doesn't mean it is okay to publicly judge and shame them completely without any and all consent on their part.

Calling a woman a slut is also sexist. Slut in itself only exists to shame women exhibiting non patriarchy approved sexual behavior.

Please learn about how modern society oppresses and hurts women before you make such ignorant statements.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
AnteGravity said:
This pretty much demonstrates why Feminism is still strongly needed in Western society. Treating young girls like grades of meat and rating them on their sexual characteristics like it was the only thing they would ever be worth is so grotesquely abhorrent.

Get over yourself. No crime was committed. It can't "warrant" legal action. And if these girls didn't want their sexual acts known, maybe they shouldn't talk about them or do them.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Every girl at his school probably thinks this guy is a massive douche.

And I bet every last one of them checked this list to see where they were on it. Ha.

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
I'm not convinced that the kid committed a crime. Making a list of people using public information and inviting comment the way he did is certainly a creepy and inappropriate thing to do, but unless evidence exists that he intended to use the list in question as something more than grist for the rumor mill then there's no case against him. except maybe libel, but that's a matter for a civil lawsuit, not criminal prosecution.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
That guy is obviously an idiot and while I think it's good that he got punished, I think the police overdid it a bit. As for the father who wants the police to do even more, well he's a parent so he'll overreact when it's about his children.

ReaperzXIII

Jan 3, 2010
AnteGravity said:

LOL, as if girls don't do the same thing, everyone rates each other to some degree based on appearance.

This is one of those Americans do the darndest things stories.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Well it's offensive libel. He deserves a sentence, though for such a minor thing I wouldn't want him to see imprisonment, probably a fine and a but-load of community service.

What he really needed is for someone in that school to give him a beating, if he's not going to learn respect at least he could learn a little caution.