Teen Arrested for Home-Made "Hot or Not" List on Facebook

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
danpascooch said:
To people saying he didn't break the law, I think this could count as libel (written slander) since he supposedly posted things about their sexual habits that (presumably) weren't true
libel is a civil case(as it also involves loss of income due to misinformation its a crime you can be sued over but not jailed)

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Dicks move, yeah, expulsion, maybe, arrested? That's a bit harsh.
Just a warning and account deletion would be good enough I'd say.

RoboZombie585

Jan 26, 2011
I don't know my opinion on this whole thing. Yes, this kid was a total douchbaggy dickass, but I don't really know if it warranted arrest. I really don't know how to say this, but I don't feel Sexual Attraction or Lust, so I kinda find it hard to use the "people do stupid shit in High School." In fact, the reason I don't feel Sexual Attraction or Lust is because I did some stupid shit involving girls back when I was a kid and it pretty much made me realize how much of a dick I was/am. I do think that arresting the kid might have been overkill, but I do think the kid should be punished (and hard at that.)

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
If having nicknames for people and gauging how sexuallu desireable they are is illegal, most of the world needs to be locked up.

Seriously, even if it was a dick move to make that list, putting him to jail for it is just wrong.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
The kid was a douche, but still thats a little harsh, i can understand him being expelled, but involving police because of some stupid list? Its not like he made a list of people he was going to kill, perhaps one of these girls have relatives in law enforcement.

KiraTaureLor

Mar 27, 2011
Woodsey said:
So he created a mean-spirited (I laughed when reading it, I must admit, although mostly at the name "The Amazing Bisexual") Hot or Not list, I don't really see what makes him worthy of arrest here.

Although he does come across a real arse hole.
I'm guessing he got arrested for it because the targets are underage? Also he only printed out names, no offensive or sensitive pictures, right?

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Shavon513 said:
Just slap a sexual harassment charge on the kid. That's all you can do. Boy are so dumb.
I'm gonna go ahead and assume you meant "boys" are dumb, not "boy". Irony of that misspelling aside, girls are equally as dumb as guys. Let's not generalize.

GeeksUtopia

Feb 26, 2011
ok this was obviously an act that was questionable and deserves at the most an expulsion or suspension. This sort of act happens all the time where people go around and spread rumors about each other just for the thrill of it. All this kid done was make those rumors and back stabbing talks about the female population of his school go public. woo tax payers money going into some local problem.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Okay it's offensive and stupid as all hell, but it's not criminal. It's really stretching the disorderly conduct law to it's limits... This internet age is really bad for idiot teenagers (i.e every teenager)... when I was in High School we had verbal lists, just as bad (hey we were teenagers!), perhaps even worse, but none of us were arrested for being morons.

I'm honestly amazed the police even bothered with this... and even more amazed no-one sued, after all it happened in the US, isn't there like a cultural obligation to sue over things like this?

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
KiraTaureLor said:
VGC USpartan VS said:
Next you hear about this kid, he'll be a billionaire.
explain?!?!
1. Offend people on the internet
2. Get arrested
3. ???
4. PROFIT

OT: Sounds like something someone on Facebook would do. Seems weird that they spent so long trying to find the guy. I'm sure they could have just asked around the school.

Seieko Pherdo

May 7, 2011
the7ofswords said:
Seieko Pherdo said:
Jail seems to be a little too much but then again I like it when dumb high school kids get in trouble for the dumb things they do. And if we're lucky he'll come out of jail being less of an ass.
The U.S. prison system generally makes people worse not better. And the juvenile system is just as bad - if not worse; it's like a boot-camp for budding criminals.
I did say if we're lucky. Different people experience things in different ways. We don't really know anything about this guy other than the fact he's an idiot. And if he doesn't get traumatized into become a better person, maybe he'll become a disgruntled stalker and get send back to jail.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Agayek said:
AnteGravity said:
This pretty much demonstrates why Feminism is still strongly needed in Western society. Treating young girls like grades of meat and rating them on their sexual characteristics like it was the only thing they would ever be worth is so grotesquely abhorrent.

It definitely warrants legal action. This idiot caused a great deal of grievous mental and emotional anguish on so many of these girls publicly. That kind of behavior can not be condoned by any authority that hopes to remain credible.
No he didn't. He didn't exactly the same thing every single male does with every woman they meet. The only difference is that he put it on a piece of paper and shared it. This is no worse (hell, I'd say it's less of a problem) than calling someone a slut as they walk by.

Anyone who suffered "grevious mental and emotional anguish" from something this stupid deserves it.

There's absolutely no reason this should ever have gone to court. Yes, he should be punished. The school handled that. There should never have been mention of police intervention.
This a thousand times. Next thing you know Yahtzee will be arrested for saying Kane and Lynch 2 was worse than deep fried tampons. So someone gets insulted, I can't count all the times I got bullied in high school and had crap written about me, I didn't press freakin charges.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Puzzlenaut said:
What amounts to nothing more than fucking name-calling, and not even truly, truly offensive name-calling -- just regular lad-ish bullying
"Many references insult the girls by race, ethnicity and sexual orientation."

From the second source the article quotes, just to re-iterate, since I think I quoted you earlier...