Teen Arrested for Home-Made "Hot or Not" List on Facebook

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Anarien said:
Eri said:
And if these girls didn't want their sexual acts known, maybe they shouldn't talk about them or do them.
That's a hell of a lot of victim-blaming and slut-shaming. That's like saying if a woman didn't want to be raped, she shouldn't have worn a short skirt. Which is patriarchical nonsense.

Every person has a right to do with his or her own body what they wish and also a right to privacy and to not be harassed, sexually or otherwise.
As I said above

I shouldn't have to lock my home OR my car at night because no one has the right to touch my stuff but I still do because I'm not stupid. Just like it's stupid to wear skimpy clothing in a dangerous neighborhood meanwhile expecting sympathy if you get mugged or raped. Human nature is human nature and if you don't take every precaution available to you, you're just being dumb.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
D_987 said:
What part of "He also printed out hundreds of copies of the list and passed them out at the school during lunch before being stopped by staff." did you not understand?

Way to not take into account other peoples feelings [I'm sure this little stunt was hilarious for the person he rated "The Amazing Bisexual"] and completely missing the entire reason he was expelled. Of course he's going to judge people, it's natural, but what he did is ridiculous and defiantly deserves what he got.
I did not know that hurting someone's feelings deserves jail time.

As much of a dick move this was, jail time is unnecessary.

Sparcrypt

Oct 17, 2007
Pathetic. He was expelled, that is enough and they should have left it there.

One of the dads is upset his little girl was objectified.. well I understand but get used to it. Guys will do that her entire life, this one just documented it and got caught. He was then punished.. but no, you want him criminally charged? Stupid.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Anarien said:
That's a hell of a lot of victim-blaming and slut-shaming. That's like saying if a woman didn't want to be raped, she shouldn't have worn a short skirt. Which is patriarchical nonsense.

Every person has a right to do with his or her own body what they wish and also a right to privacy and to not be harassed, sexually or otherwise.
Actually, it's more like "If a woman doesn't want to be raped, she shouldn't walk down a dark alley at 2 AM with a gang of hoodlums".

Everyone should have the right to do whatever they want, at all times, without restriction, assuming it doesn't negatively impact others.

Unfortunately, to paraphrase MovieBob, we don't live in an ideal world; we live in a shitty world. In this shitty world, bad things happen to good people, good things happen to bad people, and all around most everything just sucks. That's the facts of life. If you do not take every reasonable precaution, then yes, you do in fact share in the blame if/when you get attacked.

Should you be able to ignore common sense and just act as you please? Yea, you really should. But you can't.

PS - If you are at all ashamed of anything you've ever done, you're failing at life.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Agayek said:
funguy2121 said:
Arachon said:
Dear Internet lusers. Please be aware of the fact that everything you put on the Internet is public information, public sites on the Internet is not a suitable place to store files or information that you do not wish anyone to see, or that could get you in trouble.

That is all.

OT: Honestly, the guy got what was coming to him, that this sort of thing happens in the first place is another can of worms, but I can only say that I think it's disgusting.
This.

Also, I believe this equals slander, yes?
Technically it's libel. Slander applies to falsehoods in the spoken word, while libel applies to text. Both fall under the broader category of "Defamation" though, so that's generally the word to use.

That said, Defamation is a civil offense and as such cannot be punished with jail time. Only a fine (usually reparations made to the victim and official retraction).
Thanks for the clarification!

baboon 101

Jun 11, 2009
Much as he is a douche, I fail to see what the actual crime is here.

Yeah, he's an asshole for posting it, and he should be in trouble for distributing the pamphlets on school property, but I'm pretty sure that there isn't anything illegal about the list itself.

ViaGalactica

Mar 18, 2011
This entire thread. Oh goodness.

Okay, I am not familiar with the laws in the US so I can't say whether or not he deserves a sentence, but the flippant attitude most of the posters have on the subject is slightly sickening.

By saying, 'Yeah, he did wrong But all boys do it' you are condoning his actions. This should not happen. Just because lots of people kill, it does not make murder a good thing. This boy turned women into nothing but pieces of meat to be fucked. He went as far as to stating whether their stock had gone up or down, as if they were products. He printed and distributed a list detailing their sexual endeavors when what these girls do in private should remain private. He added to that a series of derogatory nicknames and names, insulting and shaming them not only for their sexuality but for race, ethnicity and sexual orientation. This is a perfect example of 'slut-shaming' and how it's suddenly seen as something acceptable when it's a dangerous, dangerous thing.

I get rating people based on how hot they are. Hell, I had a list for the dudes and the chicks. But I never went as far as to dehumanize them to pretty meat to be stare at. This guy is a douche. What he did is not just a mistake, it's not just playful. This is not something that should be dismissed as 'boy's being boys'. I can't argue whether he deserves jailtime. I can argue, however, that he does not deserve the amount of defense he is getting. (Hell, someone said he should be congratulated, and someone else said they liked his system - the stock part, to be precise.)

I mean, seriously, guys. What he did was beyond disgusting. There's no reason to defend this asshole.

(Note: I'm not saying he deserves the jailtime. I don't even know if it warrants jailtime. And it's fine if you want to argue about whether or not he does. By 'defend' I mean, excusing his behavior as some playful 'boy' thing when it's clearly malicious and designed to shame and hurt the girls involved.)

Projo

Aug 3, 2009
Let's cut to the chase here.

Did he include pictures on the list, and if so, where can I find it?

chunkeymonke

Sep 25, 2009
AnteGravity said:
This pretty much demonstrates why Feminism is still strongly needed in Western society. Treating young girls like grades of meat and rating them on their sexual characteristics like it was the only thing they would ever be worth is so grotesquely abhorrent.

It definitely warrants legal action. This idiot caused a great deal of grievous mental and emotional anguish on so many of these girls publicly. That kind of behavior can not be condoned by any authority that hopes to remain credible.
I'm sorry WHAT?
If you really aren't though enough to have someone say mean things about you that you get grievous damage to your mind then you are in no way allowed to complain. I've had people say bad things about how i look i don't run home and kill my self, i stand up and fucking take it.

jakefongloo

Aug 17, 2008
Zer0Saber said:
Going to juvi for calling people names on facebook, when did peoples spines dissolve.
No kidding, The father wanted further charges? Get over yourself. This thing will dissapear from people's minds in a year or two sooner if shes a senior. That juvy record he now has will not. He has effectually ruined his life because he thought he was doing something funny or was pissed or whatever.

Lets go back 60 years. Some kid makes and releases this list. The school paddles him, the fathers go and kick the shit out of him life moves on.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
fozzy360 said:
I did not know that hurting someone's feelings deserves jail time.

As much of a dick move this was, jail time is unnecessary.
Where exactly does it state hes gone to jail? I have no idea of the laws in the US but I have a hard time believing "Arrested" and "Jail" are the same thing. But hey, well done for taking the point I was making [which is noticed the quote was about the fact he should have been punished] and twisting it out of context...

He could have been 'Arrested", kept at the station whilst charged and then told to attend court.

jakefongloo

Aug 17, 2008
AnteGravity said:
This pretty much demonstrates why Feminism is still strongly needed in Western society. Treating young girls like grades of meat and rating them on their sexual characteristics like it was the only thing they would ever be worth is so grotesquely abhorrent.

It definitely warrants legal action. This idiot caused a great deal of grievous mental and emotional anguish on so many of these girls publicly. That kind of behavior can not be condoned by any authority that hopes to remain credible.
If women get "emotionally damaged" because they are told they are not as attractive as another girl then that says more about women then it does about men.

Not to mention I know a few girls who have made lists on whos the hottest guy in the school.

And finally if you really honestly believe that the police no matter on what scale should get involved over someones OPINION then maybe you should reread that great document that started this country.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Teen Arrested for Home-Made "Hot or Not" List on Facebook

A high school kid was arrested earlier this week for making a list ranking 50 female students at his school "by their sexual characteristics and alleged sexual behaviors" and posting it on Facebook.

The former student at Oak Park-River Forest High School in Oak Park, Illinois was taken into custody on Monday for putting together a list that described 50 of his female fellow students "by explicit, derogatory nicknames and assessed their physical appearance, sexual desirability, sexual activity and other characteristics," which he then posted on Facebook. He also printed out hundreds of copies of the list and passed them out at the school during lunch before being stopped by staff.

The list ranked the girls using a ten-point scale for facial features, a five-point scale for various body parts and whether their "stock" was up or down; they were also assigned nicknames like "The Designated Drunk" and "The Amazing Bisexual." It actually came to light in January, leading to the student's expulsion in February, but that wasn't enough for some people. "The subject was found to be responsible for an offensive list," said Oak Park Police Detective Commander. LaDon Reynolds. "Based on the evidence, the juvenile offender was charged with disorderly conduct and referred to [juvenile] court."

The father of one of the girls who appeared on the list said he was pleased that the kid was arrested but expressed concern that a disorderly conduct charge was inadequate for a "very serious offense that affected many people." Nonetheless, he added, "I'm gratified that the investigation continued, and that charges are being filed. I'm hopeful they consider additional charges as they gather more evidence."

But the obvious question is, what other evidence is there to gather? Unless there's a lot more to this case than is being reported, what we've got here is a three month police investigation into some idiot kid's home-made "Hot or Not" list on Facebook. I'm sure there wasn't a crack squad of Chicago's finest working the case 24 hours a day but even so, isn't this all a bit much for a stupid high school stunt?

According to reports, after distributing the list at his former school the student addressed an "impromptu gathering" of cheering students, during which he danced around and warned that "women are the future, unless we stop them now."

Sources: MyFoxChicago.com [http://www.wlsam.com/Article.asp?id=2182903]

Freedom of speech, anyone? He didn't risk anything more than peoples feelings, cry me a damn river. I just don't know why people can't just accept it. people will say bad things about you, deal with it and stop whining about how other people should save you from the bad man saying hurtful things. Heaven forbid someone's precious glass feelings might get the least bit hurt, it might shatter their psyches, right? Ridiculous, words are just that, they can only hurt you if you let them. Grow up.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Arachon said:
Dear Internet lusers. Please be aware of the fact that everything you put on the Internet is public information, public sites on the Internet is not a suitable place to store files or information that you do not wish anyone to see, or that could get you in trouble.

That is all.

OT: Honestly, the guy got what was coming to him, that this sort of thing happens in the first place is another can of worms, but I can only say that I think it's disgusting.

Hmmm, well my basic attitude is that this is a matter of out of control authority. To be honest this kind of thing has been going on since the dawn of time in the US school system. It's most famous in colleges, but happens in high schools as well. If you've read the backround of things like "Playboy" or "National Lampoon" and how they apparently got started, you'd know what I'm talking about. Most things like this aren't anywhere near as famous and don't get that big, but they have always been present to some extent.

Indeed the whole "mock society page" about students and their various "merits" is exactly where the terms used for movies like "the hottie and the nottie" come from. It's pretty much stock hijinx for schools, and exactly the kind of thing that sites like "College Humor" set out to capture.

I don't even think it's especially sexist, because in most cases a lot of the girls get involved in things like this or the fun, and even pose for pictures and such. The reaction from the student body above certainly doesn't give me the impression that he was massively offending them, and given he was being cheered when he made that comment makes me think of vintage Lampoon or Hefner. Hell, that's probably where he got the idea. This kind of "information" is out there to be funny, it's not supposed to be secret, the school is SUPPOSED to read it.

In general with things like this if there is a complaint, then the school isn't out of line to give a slap on the wrist, maybe a days suspension, and a warning to dial it back a bit. There are some standards of decorum expected, and this kind of thing CAN go too far in mocking certain people that aren't complicit. However ARRESTING someone for it, or heck even an EXPULSION is going crazy overboard. Besides if there was some massive investigation into this, I can't help but wonder who authorized the department funds for that... I mean the guy was probably operating this publically and asking the girls to pose and stuff at times for the laughs, it's not the kind of case that takes Sherlock bloody Holmes. Heck, the investigation probably could have been concluded by walking up, asking for a copy of the paper, and saying "hey, who did this" and being told "that guy over there, pretty funny isn't it?".

I mean technically you could say that there might be libel involved, but at the same time one of the reasons why we have a police force of volunteers (and while off subject, part of why we have a right to keep and bear arms) is for a bit of common sense to be used in deciding when and where you apply the law. A high school or college campus joke is not an appropriate place, but someone in business who is losing millions of dollars to a lie spread by a competitor probably is. One of the lines protecting people from stupid laws is that even if a politician passes something, in the final equasion some police officer still has to go out there and put his arse on the line to enforce it, which should in most cases lead to a degree of common sense being used.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
ViaGalactica said:
This entire thread. Oh goodness.

Okay, I am not familiar with the laws in the US so I can't say whether or not he deserves a sentence, but the flippant attitude most of the posters have on the subject is slightly sickening.

By saying, 'Yeah, he did wrong But all boys do it' you are condoning his actions. This should not happen. Just because lots of people kill, it does not make murder a good thing. This boy turned women into nothing but pieces of meat to be fucked. He went as far as to stating whether their stock had gone up or down, as if they were products. He printed and distributed a list detailing their sexual endeavors when what these girls do in private should remain private. He added to that a series of derogatory nicknames and names, insulting and shaming them not only for their sexuality but for race, ethnicity and sexual orientation. This is a perfect example of 'slut-shaming' and how it's suddenly seen as something acceptable when it's a dangerous, dangerous thing.
Bolded bit is what I primarily want to get at.

You say that the details of their sexual endeavors should remain private, yet somehow he got that information. There's one of three possible reasons for this:

1) He made it up
2) He participated in it
3) He was told about it.

If 3, he did nothing wrong, as it was already more or less public information in the first place. If 2 (and I can't remember the last time I heard about a single high schooler scoring with 50 different women), he's simply more of a dick than he was. If 1, he should be sued for libel, not arrested.

If 2 or 3 apply to the situation (meaning it's true), then the fact of the matter is that "slut-shaming" (which I've never heard of outside of this thread), is a perfectly acceptable course of action. Not because they're sluts or not, but because the information he posted was true. If the girls can't take being labeled as something they are, maybe they should be something else.

If #1 applies, then again, he should be sued for libel, as it's grossly untrue and can cause damage in the girls' futures.

On a final note, I'm not actually condoning his actions at all. What he did was a complete dick move and if I knew him I'd punch him in the face. The fact of the matter is, though, that nothing he did was illegal, and therefore the cops should never have become involved.

ViaGalactica said:
I get rating people based on how hot they are. Hell, I had a list for the dudes and the chicks. But I never went as far as to dehumanize them to pretty meat to be stare at. This guy is a douche. What he did is not just a mistake, it's not just playful. This is not something that should be dismissed as 'boy's being boys'. I can't argue whether he deserves jailtime. I can argue, however, that he does not deserve the amount of defense he is getting. (Hell, someone said he should be congratulated, and someone else said they liked his system - the stock part, to be precise.)

I mean, seriously, guys. What he did was beyond disgusting. There's no reason to defend this asshole.

(Note: I'm not saying he deserves the jailtime. I don't even know if it warrants jailtime. And it's fine if you want to argue about whether or not he does. By 'defend' I mean, excusing his behavior as some playful 'boy' thing when it's clearly malicious and designed to shame and hurt the girls involved.)
I guarantee you, unless you are completely asexual, you have dehumanized someone into nothing more than fap material. Everyone does it. Is it right or morally just? I doubt it, but that doesn't change the fact that everyone does it.

I agree with you that his actions shouldn't be dismissed out of hand, but the reaction is far and away more than what it merited.