Teen Arrested for Home-Made "Hot or Not" List on Facebook

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
rated said:
Im not defending the guy at all Im just saying that if u give some one fuel dont be upset when they start a fire
Well not only are you "saying that" in a pretty ridiculous manner, and context, but in this case you're completely incorrect. Your point, if you actually managed to read the article, which so many people on this moronic forum have clearly failed to do, is that the 50 people "rated" and abused racially and physically should not appear attractive to the person that made the list.

You've no evidence he made the list for reasons you're implying he did; in fact the opposite is apparently true, the sources quoted state he made the list because the people on it were "leaders", either in areas of authority within the school or the like; hence his cry "Women will take over the world" etc.

stealingzen

Oct 28, 2009
I agree that this was kind of a dick thing for this kid to do, but an -=ARREST=-? REALLY!?! That's fucking ridiculous. Just because you disagree or think it's offensive doesn't mean it's illegal or that he should be arrested.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
That's just about the douchiest thing I've ever heard, and he definitely deserves some punishment from the school. But getting the law involved is being a bit excessive.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
D_987 said:
Where exactly does it state hes gone to jail? I have no idea of the laws in the US but I have a hard time believing "Arrested" and "Jail" are the same thing. But hey, well done for taking the point I was making [which is noticed the quote was about the fact he should have been punished] and twisting it out of context...

He could have been 'Arrested", kept at the station whilst charged and then told to attend court.
Generally, in the States at least, "arrested" means detained by the police pending trial. Meaning he is actually in jail (usually the holding cells of whatever station) and will go to trial. Unless someone posted bail for him, in which case he's free, so long as he stays within city limits.

Gibboniser

Jan 9, 2011
Who bet's the father was the father of a "not".

But anywho, yeah, he was a tool, a typical male teenager tool, and he took it a bit far, but getting the police involved, .. come on.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
spartan231490 said:
Freedom of speech, anyone? He didn't risk anything more than peoples feelings, cry me a damn river. I just don't know why people can't just accept it. people will say bad things about you, deal with it and stop whining about how other people should save you from the bad man saying hurtful things. Heaven forbid someone's precious glass feelings might get the least bit hurt, it might shatter their psyches, right? Ridiculous, words are just that, they can only hurt you if you let them. Grow up.
Yeah yeah, blah blah, it's pretty easy to say that bullshit when you're not on the receiving end of it, but at the end of the day, however much you and your poor understanding on the way humans operate claim insulting people generally hurts their feelings. Amazingly enough some people might have a problem with being racially abused, having their sexuality questioned or insulted and having degrading nick-names attached to them - who knew?

Just because you don't understand the situation doesn't mean that others feel the same way.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
I'm somewhat confused about a few things in this piece.

So, the kid made a list of girls ranking them according to their looks. I may just have been in strange places, but hasn't done that with their mates when finding yourselves with too much time on your hands. Goodness knows, my mates and I still do it when drunk. And we're near 30 on average.

The only difference seems to be Facebook.

However silly and immature it may be, and really, that's what we do, I fail to see how it's a matter for the police. Or a matter for the school for that matter.

The kid was dumb enough to publish what happens in any case (and fuck him for publishing patented guy secrets), but that's about it. I mean, shit, that's what happens with young kins. Granted, we didn't have these newfangled tubes, but that sure didn't stop us. If anything I salute him for having even more criteria that we could make up.

Call it sexism if you want. I call it young boys being morons. And guys being morons in general. Because, face it, gather 5 guys and a few beers and at some point we WILL talk about what girls look good. Only way to stop it is to lobotomise us.

Also: to anyone who says that he is a douche: you are in NO way being honest about what boys/guys talk about.

I submit this: if you have never made a list/listed a girls features you fail at being a guy.

Or me and every guy I've met have got it wrong.

Edited for a few obvious typos and to say that I just went and re-read the whole thing. I still stand by what I said.

Necrofudge

May 17, 2009
I think the arrest is a bit much. Yeah, they should expel him and yeah, the parents of the girls could sue him if they wanted. But arrest? What a great use of everyone's time.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
D_987 said:
Yeah yeah, blah blah, it's pretty easy to say that bullshit when you're not on the receiving end of it, but at the end of the day, however much you and your poor understanding on the way humans operate claim insulting people generally hurts their feelings. Amazingly enough some people might have a problem with being racially abused, having their sexuality questioned or insulted and having degrading nick-names attached to them - who knew?

Just because you don't understand the situation doesn't mean that others feel the same way.
Let me try to make something clear.

People do not, I repeat do not, have the right to not be offended.

They certainly have the right to tell the dumbass to fuck off or whatever variety thereof they wish to use, but that doesn't involve bringing in the police and criminal charges.

People that get insulted don't usually enjoy it. You're right there. Just because you don't enjoy something doesn't mean you have the right to demand it cease to exist.

Jonathan Bradford

May 9, 2011
People are ridiculous, it sounds as if the parents were un-aware of what was happening around school and at football games to me.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
D_987 said:
spartan231490 said:
Freedom of speech, anyone? He didn't risk anything more than peoples feelings, cry me a damn river. I just don't know why people can't just accept it. people will say bad things about you, deal with it and stop whining about how other people should save you from the bad man saying hurtful things. Heaven forbid someone's precious glass feelings might get the least bit hurt, it might shatter their psyches, right? Ridiculous, words are just that, they can only hurt you if you let them. Grow up.

I was bullied mercilessly for the greater part of 6 years, and so were many of my friends. I spent more time at school being picked on than not. That is exactly how I know that words can't hurt you. yeah yeah yeah, waaaaa, my feelings got hurt. A lot. I got over it because at the end of the day, nothing they say means anything about me or anyone else. I am what and who I am, and I can tell you for sure that bullying never left any permanent scars on anyone with enough maturity to fill a thimble.

Mr.Petey

Dec 23, 2009
I had a feeling the "right to free speech" excuse would rear it's patriotic head at some point.

No matter how you look at it at whatever level you tend to automatically categorise it on, it is sexual harassment pure and simple. This is pretty offensive and if Joe Law steps in heavy handed to take a stand against this infantile mess to set an example then so be it.

I too am a little surprised at a lot of posts regarding how it's "all a bit of fun and harmless"
Perhaps but lets be honest here; you'd feel fairly fracking offended if you were to be labelled like this bozo has done to other people.

Sure we all think about the odd innuendo in our minds and it's perfectly natural to think of a human in a sexual form in the general. But to bring it out brazenly to this level, into a sickening depraved format for the public eye and ultimately humiliated? Take it elsewhere and never darken our door of society again.

Sorry but while I respect the idea of free speech, I dislike it when it's used in the context of "seeing what I can get away with without having any regards for my actions"

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Agayek said:

Under who's jurisdiction? Your own?

They certainly have the right to tell the dumbass to fuck off or whatever variety thereof they wish to use, but that doesn't involve bringing in the police and criminal charges.
Seems they did; and the guy has been, apparently, charged - again, under what jurisdiction are you arguing this point?

People that get insulted don't usually enjoy it. You're right there. Just because you don't enjoy something doesn't mean you have the right to demand it cease to exist.
They have the right to complain about it certainly; though lets extend your flawed argument to something else - murder for example.

"Just because you don't enjoy something doesn't mean you have the right to demand it cease to exist."

I guess people don't have to right to demand murder not exist...

Peter Donaldson

Jan 9, 2011
it is, you get sued for slander that, not arrested. That goes to civil court, not criminal court. I.e. does not get you arrested, i.e. him getting arrested is bullshit

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
D_987 said:
Agayek said:

Under who's jurisdiction? Your own?

Seems they did; and the guy has been, apparently, charged - again, under what jurisdiction are you arguing this point?

They have the right to complain about it certainly; though lets extend your flawed argument to something else - murder for example.

"Just because you don't enjoy something doesn't mean you have the right to demand it cease to exist."

I guess people don't have to right to demand murder not exist...
Under the god damn US Constitution and all of the laws that followed. There isn't a single law that was violated, except debatably libel, which isn't a criminal case and requires 0 police involvement.

The fact that was he was charged with anything is a gross violation of public trust and whatever laws they bent to make it stick.

Also, nice try with the murder strawman. That's a completely separate ballgame, and you know it.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
While this guy does sound like a grade A douche, this seems highly excessive to me for some objectification. I don't think this should have gone much farther than the school's disiplinary action. Does this mean I could be arressted for a calling a woman a babe?

fgdfgdgd

May 9, 2009
EcksTeaSea said:
This is the stupidest thing in the world. Arresting someone for things they posted? What a great use of money and time. Since when is talking trash about people a serious offense? I am amazed that they actually arrested him, I should be in jail as well then.
It's called defamation of character, a serious and chargeable offense as it could ultimately effect (most likely damaging) the employment opportunities of the defamed parties, that is why it's not stupid, farm-ville is stupid, double standards are stupid, petroleum companies spending billions on anti-climate change scare tactic propaganda is stupid; punishing people that damage someones ability to be gainfully employed isn't stupid.

OT: Is this really 'escapist news worthy'? I know it's in the realm of electronics, but serious? Some kid that got a slap on the wrist for defaming people on facebook? I'd understand if it was that kid that spent a few thousand on farm-ville story, but this? Okay, you're the journalists here.

stinkyrobot

Nov 20, 2009
Well he's clearly an ass, I really don't see why the police should waste their time with something so minor when they're are murders and rapists out there.