Teen Arrested for Home-Made "Hot or Not" List on Facebook

ArtanisCreed

Jan 15, 2011
AnteGravity said:
This pretty much demonstrates why Feminism is still strongly needed in Western society. Treating young girls like grades of meat and rating them on their sexual characteristics like it was the only thing they would ever be worth is so grotesquely abhorrent.

It definitely warrants legal action. This idiot caused a great deal of grievous mental and emotional anguish on so many of these girls publicly. That kind of behavior can not be condoned by any authority that hopes to remain credible.
...implying girls dont do the same thing? As for legal issues...he didn't do anything to break any laws. Techinically he could plead first ammendment even tho its widely done.
An please don't get me started on feminism... bunch of bs that doesnt do anything actually constructive. I understand women need to stand up for themselves but most feminists just end up bullyin/oppressing men. The big damn shocker about life...It's unfair.

In conclusion people just need to harden the fuck up.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
If they had been famous celebrities and not fellow students, would he have been in as much trouble?

Amarsir

Jul 7, 2009
I support a system that arrests people for what they say because I know it will only be used in exactly the way I want and has no chance of backfiring in any way.

Vuljatar

Sep 7, 2008
What the fuck?

Even expulsion is too much. Criminal charges--downright insanity.

Where's the ACLU when you need them? (Oh yeah, crucifying a greeting card... useless morons.)

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Yeah, I think even expulsion was kind of crazy, that would be like, suspension worthy or something. Dude's an idiot (granted that last paragraph was incredibly inappropriate but is funny for exactly that reason) but it's pretty much note passing, and usually justice (read: revenge) gets served by mob rule (read: every girl in school) and these things sort themselves out

Expulsion is threatening bodily harm and stuff like that

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
So... What crime did he commit exactly? I was unaware being an asshole was punishable by law.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Amarsir said:
I support a system that arrests people for what they say because I know it will only be used in exactly the way I want and has no chance of backfiring in any way.
Exactly!

Go Totalitarian Government!!!

Sep 14, 2009
Agayek said:
EcksTeaSea said:
This is the stupidest thing in the world. Arresting someone for things they posted? What a great use of money and time. Since when is talking trash about people a serious offense? I am amazed that they actually arrested him, I should be in jail as well then.
This.

This whole debacle is fucking ridiculous. The kid was an idiot yes, but that's not grounds to arrest him. Hell, if what he did was a legally punishable offense, we'd all be in prison for the entirety of our lives. This is just plain stupidity, and a complete waste of time and money.
this by far.

sure, hes a bit of a douche, but i have heard and have seen much worse with my own two eyes all the time and its brushed aside

grow. a. fucking. spine.

god with how overly sensitive some people are i swear...

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
Shouldn't the first amendment protect him from being charged?

I wouldn't know, as I am not American, but I'm pretty sure this can be filed under freedom of expression, even if he is a douchebag.

Honestly, even expulsion is a step over the line in punishing him. But arresting him? That's not only absurd, it's a waste of resources.

EDIT: How many of us can say we haven't done something douchebaggery before? Hell, I've even done something similar as this kid and I'm sure we all have in our heads.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
As half the posts I've seen have stated. This guy was a douvhe, but is there a law against this? I can understand that he was expelled, but nothing more.

Sep 14, 2009
Anarien said:
isn't this all a bit much for a stupid high school stunt?

A "stupid high school stunt"? Are you serious? Falling on your ass because you tried to ride a bike down some stairs qualifies as a "stupid high school stunt".

This was a calculated attack on adolescent females in a disgusting manner that showed no regard for their well-being or reputation.This was exploitation of minors, sexist, misogynist bullying and defamation. This kid got off way too lightly.
and where exactly did you grow up...?? spinelessville?

i have seen this kind of shit happen on BOTH SIDES, it happens ALL THE TIME, not to this necessarily degree of organization printed out..but it happens all the damn time. if you find this as such a surprise you really need a reality check. how in any way is this beyond worth a suspension at most expulsion for the rest of the semester? what exact laws did he break?

afaceforradio

Jul 29, 2009
No arguments that this kid is a bit of a twat, and deserved a good telling off, a Facebook IP ban and yeah okay, maybe a fine or something, but a three month investigation!? This is how Mark Zuckerberg made his billions, is there any surprise he's even trying it!?

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
I call bullshit. high school girls who're upset by the prospect of being portrayed as drunken sluts on Facebook? unheard of.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
EcksTeaSea said:
This is the stupidest thing in the world. Arresting someone for things they posted? What a great use of money and time. Since when is talking trash about people a serious offense? I am amazed that they actually arrested him, I should be in jail as well then.
Technically slander here, since he passed out flyers like a moron.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Note: I'm from England, and this thing has never happened in any of my schools. We would talk about how attractive girls are, but never go as far as to assume we had enough credibility to print off a list. Maybe we are just more polite than the Americans who say this happens every week.

In my opinion, he embarrassed several girls. The effort he put into how attractive they are, even spending money on printing out hundreds of copies, would make their lives awful. I've been severely bullied myself in the past, and the more effort the guy goes to to insult you, the worse it is. My only criticism is that it took too long for this to be processed, but at least that implies they weren't putting too much effort into it.
Then again, though the guy deserves to be punished, I'm not 100% sure what laws they're going to say he broke. Possibly harassment?

I'm also incredibly disgusted about the number of people that think he shouldn't be punished at all. If he gets away with this, those girls will go though hell for the next few years before people forget, and this whole situation will keep it fresh for longer. Depending on what he said about the 'Nots' that were on the list, and maybe even some of the 'Hots', we could be looking at counselling or worse. Again, this was a calculated attack.

And don't tell me to grow a spine. Have some compassion and sympathy. There have been suicides over harassments like this.

Speedwagon

Oct 3, 2010
There is no possible case against this kid. He may be an ass, but nothing illegal was really done, if anything a misdemeanor or a fine at most should be given. Then again I don't all the details of what happened.

Ajna

Doublethinker
Mar 19, 2009
Racecarlock said:
*Gasp* A teenager is looking at girls! ARREST HIM!
May have been beaten to the punch (I have no plan to scroll through ten pages to check) but...

They already did. (Do I get to do a "YEAAAHHHHH" now?)

ViaGalactica

Mar 18, 2011
Dr Snakeman said:
In other words: "He was a meanie poop-head."
Except it isn't. Though thank you for trivializing it. The problem with what he said is not that it hurt someone's feelings. The problem is that just deeming a girl a 'slut' will damage her reputation, can open up the road for her to be assaulted or harrassed. See, the word 'slut' shames women - only women - for doing things that would normally be praised in a man.

(For more information go to: http://finallyfeminism101.wordpress.com/2010/04/04/what-is-slut-shaming/)

If he had written a list calling these girls assholes for being too mean, idiots for failing classes, no one would be making a fuss about it. But he is shaming them only for their sexuality. Which is not cool and goes beyond meager insults. This is an act of oppression against women and women's sexuality. Does it deserve an arrest? No. But it doesn't deserve to be shoved aside with a "Oh, grow up, he just wrote mean things about you, you weak, spineless creature."

ArtanisCreed said:
...implying girls dont do the same thing? As for legal issues...he didn't do anything to break any laws. Techinically he could plead first ammendment even tho its widely done.
An please don't get me started on feminism... bunch of bs that doesnt do anything actually constructive. I understand women need to stand up for themselves but most feminists just end up bullyin/oppressing men. The big damn shocker about life...It's unfair.

In conclusion people just need to harden the fuck up.
Implying girls don't get more shit for doing the same thing. Remember that Duke girl, who made a private presentation about the men she slept with? Yeah, I saw so much outrage from the dudes when that happened. How dare that ***** write that down or even share it?! And keep in mind she wrote about people she had sex with in a non derogatory manner. She never included comments on their race or ethnicity or anything else that was hateful. Was it a right thing to do? Nope. Did it deserve more criticism than this guy? Absolutely not. And yet she got it.

Ah, yes, feminism. Let's dismiss the ideology that granted women the right to vote, study and work. And let's ignore its efforts of creating a studying/working/living environment that is not hostile towards women. All the feminists did/do is oppress men, which is why most slut-shaming is targeted towards males. It's also the reason why the poor men have such a higher chance of being harrassed in work/on the street. Oh, yes, it's because of the evils of feminism that men are no longer represented in the media as fully fleshed human beings, right?

Right? No. Feminism is not about oppressing men. It's about giving women the same privileges as men. When you are on the privileged end of the stick and you suddenly see as a minority is catching up to you, you will obviously see it as ~*~oppression~*~. But trust me, dude. The oppressive feminism you speak about does not exist.

The oppressive patriarchy, however...