Teen Arrested for Home-Made "Hot or Not" List on Facebook

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
...What he did may not have been very nice and sweet 'n all, but arrest is a bit... over the top. I would think the expulsion would have been more than enough (or just right, depending on everything about the list).

C'mon, damn near everyone does the same thing in their head, this guy just lacked the tact to keep it that way.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
And by taking photos and photocopying this list, he could have done exactly the same thing?

And now Bookface own those photos?

Great...let's make sure these rapscallions get put in juvenile for a high school stunt. Great use of police resources.
I was ready to say that same thing, right up until I read that he made copies and handed them out at school.
If the list is as derogatory as it seems, that's straight up slander: On school property.

While the cyber laws are all still in their infancy regarding these issues, even if we take facebook right out of it the kid still acted like a total idiot, and did it right on school grounds. The title of this article is a bit misleading.

And while it might seem like a 'small crime' for police to arrest this kid over, I find it heartening that police will actually be involved. Small crime or not, it's a crime. And that's what the cops are paid to be involved in stopping.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
i see no crime here... what the hell happened to freedom of speach the internet has so much more bile than this hormonal teenagers insignificant list. ridiculous...

Feb 13, 2008
Baby Tea said:
I was ready to say that same thing, right up until I read that he made copies and handed them out at school.
If the list is as derogatory as it seems, that's straight up slander: On school property.

While the cyber laws are all still in their infancy regarding these issues, even if we take facebook right out of it the kid still acted like a total idiot, and did it right on school grounds. The title of this article is a bit misleading.
Agree on this bit.
And while it might seem like a 'small crime' for police to arrest this kid over, I find it heartening that police will actually be involved. Small crime or not, it's a crime. And that's what the cops are paid to be involved in stopping.
Disagree on this bit.

And here's why
three month police investigation into some idiot kid's home-made "Hot or Not" list
He's acting like a tool, he deserves to get grabbed by the headmaster and brought into detention.
"Oh, you've been handing them out as well? Ok, you either pay to get every last one back, or I'm handing you over to the cops."

Should have been dealt with in school and then given to the police. The Police shouldn't have been investigating it.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
This is one snotty, obnoxious ****, but we're getting the police involved? Really? What he's done is offensive as all hell, and incredibly sexist, but I didn't know that extreme speech was illegal. Otherwise, why the hell is the WBC still at large?

Seriously, this is *not* worthy of police attention. If the school wants to suspend or expel him, sure, but this is going too far. It's a waste of resources, and totally unnecessary.

LitleWaffle

Jan 9, 2010
Alright, dicky? Yes. Police really needed? No. We got that covered.

But original? No. Anybody remember this?
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/20110414email_rates_ipswich_high_girls_without_prom_dates/

At least the first one did it better, he/she hasn't even been found yet.

What kind of idiot would put this on his facebook? You got the identity right there.

LitleWaffle

Jan 9, 2010
O maestre said:
i see no crime here... what the hell happened to freedom of speach the internet has so much more bile than this hormonal teenagers insignificant list. ridiculous...
I think this thing goes under cyber bullying.

If this continues, they will all commit suicide! /sarcasm

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
Hello free speech. Meet police state.
I always wonder, how is it that all the trashy magazines can make "Hottest and Least Hot list of the year" while other people cannot. Is that because people in the magazines are public persona or what?

Still the guy acted like a douche but imprisoning him for it? Seriously?

Sikratua

Apr 11, 2011
Kukulski said:
I don't know how the US law works, but what crime exactly did he commit? I agree that it can be regarded as slander, but this offence is under the jurisdiction of the civil court when a victim sues the offender in my coutry. Arresting him makes no fucking sense to me.
Well, "Slander" is generally regarded as the mass distribution of false information through speech. The key word there is the word "False." If the girls actually did what he said they did, then there's nothing illegal about him saying that they did it. The truely screwed up thing is, Libel cases (Slander being through spoken word, and Libel being through printed media. And, since this is distributed media, the charge would be "Libel.") are among the only cases in civil law in which a person can be reasonably forced to prove a negative. This kid simply has to say "Well, it's all true." At which point, since the burden of proof is always on the Plantiff/Prosecution, the Plantiff will then be forced to prove that the girls aren't, in fact, skanks.

But, that said, under my understanding of that law, there was nothing actually criminal about what this kid did. These girls are bitching and moaning about the fact that some guy said something mean in his blog. And, that jackass father that was quoted needed to look a bit closer to home than this kid. Every father I've ever met would ask the exact same question in this situation: "What the fuck is my daughter doing on this list?" Frankly, I think he's just trying to shift the line of sight from the fact that he just found out that his daughter's a ho.

I feel a need to repeat this part, since people seem to be jumping up and down on this kid's nuts, and screaming the word "Slander" from the rooftops. Legally, it's only Slander or Libel is the things he distributed are factually incorrect. "This shit actually happened" is a great defense against a Slander charge.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
EcksTeaSea said:
This is the stupidest thing in the world. Arresting someone for things they posted? What a great use of money and time. Since when is talking trash about people a serious offense? I am amazed that they actually arrested him, I should be in jail as well then.
This is what needs to be done to shut up the trolls; this notion of entitlement to total unmitigated freedom of speech needs to die.

Cyrus Hanley

Oct 13, 2010
Bek359 said:
Isn't this how Zuckerberg first started Facebook?
This.

And Zuckerberg was in college when he made "The Face Book", whereas this kid is still in high school. :/

Raikazu

Apr 15, 2009
While expulsion from school is completely justified, I don't believe that simply stating a list of sexualised words should be taken that severely. If he'd got pictures and been voyeuring than yeah, maybe. But not on the scale of what he did.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
It should be noted that according to the media, a phone call to the police in January, and then a call back in April constitutes a '3 month enquiry', it doesn't mean they had a hundred officers on the case 24/7. It probably took about 2 hours of their time.

In the end, it's fairly well accepted that you can think what you like, but when you publish those thoughts, either with intent to cause upset to people, or more likely, with no thought of the consequences whatsoever, then you need someone to give you a slap and hope some sense rattles into place.

It's a shame there's no way to bring in a simple 'don't be an arse' law, with the punishment being 16 hours community work (2 days off spent doing something useful). The punishment isn't enough to throw a fit about, yet it's enough to maybe reconsider that stupid and horrible thing you were about to do/say. It can't be a fine as then rich people get to be twats all day long (oh they already do - 'only £60 to drive in the bus lane and park in a disabled spot? Bargain! Thanks officer, keep the change!')

I might think all Belgians are waffle obsessed freaks, but until I actually state that, no Belgians are offended by my snack based hate speech. (They are tho, totally obsessed, waffles with everything! it's true!)

EDIT: I still can't help but think expulsion from school was probably enough however, that can screw up your future career something terrible, he may end up stuck in dead end jobs for life after this one event, and that's a harsh sentence.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Why not arrest him? Teach him a lesson. Maybe other kids won't feel brave enough to try it.

Should we jail him? Eh, I would rather impose a very, very, very, very large fine. Say.... oh, maybe 2000 dollars for each person whose picture he posted without permission. And that's if he's poor. If he's rich, make it.... 20,000 dollars for each person's picture he posted without permission. That'll teach the bastard a lesson.

GOOD PEOPLE DON'T DO THIS SORT OF THING. He is NOT a good person. Don't chalk this up to "youth" - I was a teenager once, I knew better than this. If I can tell the difference between right and wrong, so can he. I have no sympathy for these sorts of people - they're not good people. They're just not. A good person wouldn't do this. So, let whatever happens to him, happen.

Don't say "he made a mistake". Slipping on a banana peel is a mistake. Accidentally deleting your homework is a mistake. Dropping the dishes is a mistake. Meticulously creating a list of all the female students in your school for the purpose of demeaning them and making them feel vulnerable? That is NOT a mistake. You don't MISTAKENLY do that. You do it on purpose.

You could argue that "he didn't think about what he was doing!". No dice - you can't use that excuse. If he really didn't know what he was doing was wrong, then his mind is so feeble that he needs constant supervision.

So that's the two alternatives: Either he's an A+ Grade Moron who made a "mistake" because he was so intellectually feeble that he can't comprehend right from wrong, or he's a stone-age caveman. I'm not sympathetic to cavemen, and I only have pity for Morons. In any case, punishing him harshly is the right thing to do.

I would never do such a thing. So I am perfectly in my right to judge him. I am a good person. I know right from wrong. I'm CIVILIZED.

n1ght5talker

Sep 18, 2010
I'm undecided on what I think of the issue, but just to provide a counter point to a few above comments; It is important that we get people to understand that whilst calling someone a name in the courtyard is just childish fun, when you publish it on the Internet it goes beyond the realms of childhood. Whilst it may seem a bit much to expect professionalism from a child, but in a world where we perform 'many to many' communications daily (something never before seen in human history) we need to realise that everybody is a public presence. Something previously restricted to celebrates and leaders. With this public presence comes the requirement of a certain level of social dignity and civility.

Imagine the likes of the classical ladies and gentlemen from stories of the early 1900's, always making sure to keep up there reputation, never to be seen to slander, careful of their actions for their namesake. That is You! Except now it isn't just the local nobility that will gossip and judge you, it is the entire world. Your actions spread further and wider and impact more then ever before, never before have the average Joe's of this world had so much power and the next decade will show us whether that is a good thing or bad. Do your part and make your influence good, make this new found power something that exemplifies greatness in the masses rather then embarrass them.