Teen Dropout to be Pro Guitar Hero

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
thebobmaster post=7.68832.641614 said:
if you are a professional gamer that specializes in FPS, why not just join the Army?
Because you cant accuse the other team of hacking when you lose.

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
I would at least like to add that his parents hired a home tutor that requires him to do some work. How much is questionable, and I doubt it's equal to attending school, but he is at least receiving an education, just not in school.

And if his parents can afford an academy, they probably also hired a pretty high-end tutor.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
HomeAliveIn45 post=7.68832.641407 said:
I'm more appaled at the fact his parents allowed him to leave school than the fact that... well, just everything else.
Geez, parents these days.

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
thebobmaster post=7.68832.641614 said:
I find it appalling that the parents allowed this. Seriously, what the hell? And to everyone who is mocking the fact that there are professional GH players, let me say this: if you are a professional gamer that specializes in FPS, why not just join the Army? I mean, if you've wasted enough time to play a FPS well, you might as well have learned to shoot a real gun in a real war by now.
The difference is that in a FPS you don't kill real people. I'd much rather spend the rest of my life doing nothing than playing FPS's than that I would go into the army so you can help doing the dirty work of some politician.

God's Clown

Aug 8, 2008
The big problem I see is, being a professional gamer alone really won't make you a living, specially off a game like Guitar hero. FPS games maybe, because if you are really good at them, you can basically be good at most of them.

I personally think the idiot is making a horrible decision. I mean, at LEAST finish high school, so when your ass fails, you can still find a few decent jobs.

DarkHyth

Apr 10, 2008
What. An. Idiot.

How can he possibly expect to go far like that? Then again he could be really really good. However until I see him 100% Constant Motion on Rock Band, I don't care. You can't do something like that for a living. Bring on the people who FC'ed TTFAF to kick his ass to hell and back at these tournaments.

Also, just imagine all the babes hanging off him, he's so cool...

Pohlkat

Apr 11, 2008
i hope he gets carpal tunnel, cant play any more, then realizes he cant get a job because he dropped out :)

Flangle

Mar 12, 2008
Cheeze_Pavilion post=7.68832.641763 said:
Jak The Great post=7.68832.641427 said:
Amazing, two grown submissive adults who pay the bills and have allowed themselves to be dominated by their own son.
Woah hey--no incest bdsm fanfic on the forums!
LMAO!

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
yourkie1921 post=7.68832.641967 said:
People forget, not everyone uses their education. People act as if the only way to get a half-decent job is to go to high school and do all this crap, while my dad dropped out of highschool and makes more than 55% of them. You're never guranteed success until you have a job or it's lined up for you. and you're not guranteed a life of failure if you don't go through high school.
Jak The Great post=7.68832.641427 said:
Hooray for negligent parenting

"He always told me school was a waste of time"

Yeah, any kid is going to say that jackass
True, but the fact that they mentioned "christain academy" can mean one thing or another
1: the person who wrote that is a moron who has no idea how to use adjectives
2: there's something we're not getting.

In my opinion a school that teaches religion is a worse spot to start off than a pro-gamer.....or as a prostitute....or a drug seller.
At 16, you're not qualified to say you're not good anything. What a dumbass. But hey, he's living the American Dream, right? To do whatever you want with your life (within the legal confines of the law).
Bull, if you suck at math, leadership.........and about 150 other traits/subjects you're not good at anything
Sure maybe he's convinced them that he's gonna earn money doing this, what about in a few years when the GH fad has moved on and he can't keep up with the moves in 'Bassoon Legend'?
I think he's relying on games like this happening periodically for the next......40 years I guess.
Hope his parents enjoy having their son living in their basement for the rest of their lives. Cant say I see GH & no qualifications taking him any further then that
Fuck you. For all you know GH will be like madden comming out every 1 or 2 years and these tournies will always be going on.
I find it appalling that the parents allowed this. Seriously, what the hell? And to everyone who is mocking the fact that there are professional GH players, let me say this: if you are a professional gamer that specializes in FPS, why not just join the Army? I mean, if you've wasted enough time to play a FPS well, you might as well have learned to shoot a real gun in a real war by now.
Fuck you more.
Yeah, I have nothing against Guitar Hero, but people who take it that seriously need to be beaten with their tiny plastic instruments.
do you think those working at MC. Donalds take it "that seriously" the kid never claimed to take it seriously, he claimed to be good at it.

ps. This kid should've entered a few real tournies before he did this.
Wow ummm...well. After that, you seem like a real asshole. But anyways, I never thought to myself "Hey, I'm awesome at FPS's time to drop out of school to pursue this as a career!" Honestly, gaming to me is a hobby, it will never be my life. I just don't see this as being anything more then a 1-2 year fling for this kid.

yourkie1921

Jul 24, 2008
GodsClown post=7.68832.643226 said:
The big problem I see is, being a professional gamer alone really won't make you a living, specially off a game like Guitar hero. FPS games maybe, because if you are really good at them, you can basically be good at most of them.

I personally think the idiot is making a horrible decision. I mean, at LEAST finish high school, so when your ass fails, you can still find a few decent jobs.
I hope the devil bones you with the same instrument he did for Hitler for saying that all decent jobs come with high school degrees. For all you know this is one of those kids who'd rather work in a coal mine than have an office job or be a teacher or fit into your definition of a "good" job

Wow ummm...well. After that, you seem like a real asshole.
GOod defense.
If you can only get $25k for being in the top 1% for two massive games that have staying power, theres no chance of a career from a single game or franchise which has unusual game mechanics and controls that are unlikely to be useful in any future games.
These games will probably be out in the future. Also, is that 25K a week, month, or year? If it's a month, half of that is 12k and half of that is 6k since I'll say it's half as popular as most FPS's.
If that's 6 grand a week, sweet.
If that's 6 grand a month, still sweet.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
He will never earn the average wage playing GH tournemants - and its going to cost him to get to the tournemants - but what The Escpist didn't post - was that he has private tutition and is doing better in all his subjects, so maybe its a good thing for him.

Syndicate Savage

Aug 20, 2008
He must have gotten his parents a 'lot' of money from tourneys to even consider dropping for a musical VIDEO GAME. As much time as he's spent on GH you'd think he'd just learn to play a guitar...

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
yourkie1921 post=7.68832.646727 said:
Ehh, why?

The game is funner and hurts your hands less.
So he actually has a chance of getting laid. I mean seriously, do you think women would jump up and down and scream at him for pretty much pressing buttons?

E.v.a.n.g.e.l

Aug 19, 2008
But video games are not immortal.
I mean Guitar Hero will probably wither away in a few years and lose its popularity because of more new-gen games (Unless it innovate itself).
He will probably live off his parent because he lacks a backup plan.
Having a gaming career is hard.

ProjectileVomit

Jan 18, 2008
There's acutally such a thing as playing Guitar Queer-o professionally!? Wow, there must be something wrong with the parents to let their children drop out of school to do something that is not long term and secure. I can't descirbe my reaction to this pure absurdness. Even if he does win big from some gaming tournaments, it doesn't mean he will keep winning, so his income will probably depend only on the game. If he doesn't acquire any additonal education aside from playing Guitar Hero, who know's what will happen once there aren't any tourny left for GH. Oh wait, I know what happen. He'll have to make up for his wasted years in community college and part time jobs with low wages. Wow, just wow...

Ronmarru

Aug 17, 2008
yourkie1921 post=7.68832.641967 said:
The kid never claimed to take it seriously, he claimed to be good at it.
Droping out of school to start playing professionaly sounds pretty serious to me.
Hunter said:
"We couldn't take the complaining anymore," said Hunter. "He always told me that he thought school was a waste of time."
These are the people that give America and video games a bad name. Please believe me in that not all of us are this stupid. I think the Christian Academy might have something to do with it.