Teen Dropout to be Pro Guitar Hero

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Echolocating post=7.68832.645578 said:
Is this a sign of the apocalypse?
Nope, just the de-evolution of the species. Well... I suppose that could be the apocalypse.

Dreminem

Sep 16, 2008
Here is a link to a more thought out and full description of the reason I was home schooled: http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=71726&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75
Read the last post on the page by phoenix4417.

Here is a smaller description... and no it didn't go down like everyone thinks. I didn't just say "This sounds like a fun career. I get to play video games and make money!?!?"

Most of you don't know the whole reason behind my decision. I didn't even drop out, I am still getting home schooled. I have heard of people that dropped out to play sports professionally and don't make it yet no one gives them and crap at all. It is just something about gaming that pisses people off I guess.

I wasn't a loser in school and I still am one of the coolest people that used to go there (4 of my friends switched schools and one of them was home schooled the same year I left). There was just some stuff going on that we really didn't agree with at that school and we all chose different schooling paths.

There are plenty of kids that are home schooled and do just fine so I don't know what problem everyone has with me other than the reason I am home schooled is to have more time to dedicate to being a professional gamer.

I am great at almost all games I play and I am the best at FPS games. I am using Guitar Hero to get my name out there and for publicity since tournament money isn't all that much from that game. I am good at Rhythm, FPS, Fighting, etc. I know how much the best make and it definitely isn't ~12,500k from one game a year. The top 8 teams in Halo get more than that just for placing in the top 8. 1st place gets 20,000 I believe which is split 4 ways but there are a lot of tournaments during a years time so the end up making a lot. They also have sponsors and make money from some other things.

Some people are even making 6 figure incomes. Gaming is growing at a pretty fast rate too so I doubt it will die any time soon.

When Guitar Hero dies I will be playing one of the bigger FPS games professionally probably.

I have a back up plan too for people who think I don't. I don't feel like explaining myself any further here so just look at this post if you want to see what I really think...

http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=71726&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75

LivemeLifefree

Mar 27, 2008
TheNecroswanson post=7.68832.734106 said:
Wait you men that's you? personal attack time: Tu esta loser.
More then likely someone trying to stick up for him, but this makes me feel good about a lot of things, and sad that someone would try and devote life to games. I personally think it's a waste of time.

sibbechai

May 22, 2008
Good to see the parents are going outta there way to let him fail in life. Wouldn't have killed him to stay in school

The Iron Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
I can't wait until this whole "plastic guitar game" phase ends and this guys ends up living in a gutter somewhere.

Cyclomega

Jul 28, 2008
I lol'd at his parents...

Somehow I do hope he'll fail and understand pro-gaming is hard, unforgiving, and quite likely to make you sick from games...

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Jumplion post=7.68832.646784 said:
yourkie1921 post=7.68832.646727 said:
Ehh, why?

The game is funner and hurts your hands less.
So he actually has a chance of getting laid. I mean seriously, do you think women would jump up and down and scream at him for pretty much pressing buttons?
He probably has a fair bit of dexterity in those fingers. Maybe if he started pushing their buttons. And by buttons I mean...well, you see where I'm going with this.

Not that I believe that, but some people might.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Amnestic post=7.68832.735314 said:
Jumplion post=7.68832.646784 said:
yourkie1921 post=7.68832.646727 said:
Ehh, why?

The game is funner and hurts your hands less.
So he actually has a chance of getting laid. I mean seriously, do you think women would jump up and down and scream at him for pretty much pressing buttons?
He probably has a fair bit of dexterity in those fingers. Maybe if he started pushing their buttons. And by buttons I mean...well, you see where I'm going with this.

Not that I believe that, but some people might.
Still, I think the point is this career doesn't lead him anywhere good.

Cyclomega

Jul 28, 2008
Yeah, thought so.

I can understand "serious" people scorn /b/, but if it turns into a paranoia bordering on "everything bad or questionable is /b/'s fault", I get easily annoyed, and not only because I'm a /b/ regular...

That's when I saw your post I thought "wait a n-word lynching minute... lame innuendo = /b/... o rly ?"

Fruhstuck

Jul 29, 2008
thebobmaster said:
I find it appalling that the parents allowed this. Seriously, what the hell? And to everyone who is mocking the fact that there are professional GH players, let me say this: if you are a professional gamer that specializes in FPS, why not just join the Army? I mean, if you've wasted enough time to play a FPS well, you might as well have learned to shoot a real gun in a real war by now.
HaHaHa lol i feel this would be a brilliant idea, it'd get rid of some of the sad acts in the world
"I'm number one at Halo, i can be in the army, watch me run a shoot these *BANG*"

If it works out for him the Kudos o him, but surely there's more things to aspire to in life than Guitar Hero 3
No one'll care about it in like 2 years anyway

Fruhstuck

Jul 29, 2008
yourkie1921 said:
GodsClown post=7.68832.643226 said:
The big problem I see is, being a professional gamer alone really won't make you a living, specially off a game like Guitar hero. FPS games maybe, because if you are really good at them, you can basically be good at most of them.

I personally think the idiot is making a horrible decision. I mean, at LEAST finish high school, so when your ass fails, you can still find a few decent jobs.
I hope the devil bones you with the same instrument he did for Hitler for saying that all decent jobs come with high school degrees. For all you know this is one of those kids who'd rather work in a coal mine than have an office job or be a teacher or fit into your definition of a "good" job

Wow ummm...well. After that, you seem like a real asshole.
GOod defense.
If you can only get $25k for being in the top 1% for two massive games that have staying power, theres no chance of a career from a single game or franchise which has unusual game mechanics and controls that are unlikely to be useful in any future games.
These games will probably be out in the future. Also, is that 25K a week, month, or year? If it's a month, half of that is 12k and half of that is 6k since I'll say it's half as popular as most FPS's.
If that's 6 grand a week, sweet.
If that's 6 grand a month, still sweet.
Do you genuinely think it's a "good" idea to drop-out for a game?
OK it's fun and all but do you think it's a decent path to set yourself on with a view to paying the bills later on in life?

reaper_2k9

Keeper of the Beer
Oct 22, 2008
Yea you can make money from playing games but really you cant do it forever this kids not going to have anything to fallback on when he doesn't want to do it anymore, and I doubt his parents are going to support him forever. All that pressure and stress from having to be the absolute best are going to break him eventually.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
As long as he never breeds i'm fine with it.

Alot of people on the pro gaming circuit have real jobs. They practice on their off times and such. If he's gonna drop out to game, he better be doing it "Chinese Acrobat training for the Olympics style". Strict regime, finger stretches, constant drilling, practice practice practice, regulated diet.

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
Wow...way to raise a son. He keeps nagging you so you let him drop out of school? Next he'll be wanting access to the liquor cabinet and guns.
But seriously, Guitar Hero? It's not exactly the most well-known game for playing pro. Methinks he should at least have gotten an education to fall back on, but if he wants to run the risk of hobo-ism, busking on a plastic guitar three years from now, that's his choice.