Teen Hacker Admits to Sony Attacks

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Teen Hacker Admits to Sony Attacks

A teen hacker has admitted to attacking the PlayStation website in 2008, causing it to go down for more than a week.

An unnamed Pennsylvanian teen has admitted to attacking the PlayStation website in November 2008 after being barred from it for cheating in SOCOM U.S. Navy Seals. The 17 year old honor student used a botnet to perform a denial-of-service attack of the site, causing it to go down for eleven days.

The boy was tried in juvenile court due to his age, despite the case originally starting out as a Federal Grand Jury investigation, and was adjudicated delinquent, the juvenile court version of a guilty plea, for unlawful use of a computer, criminal use of a computer, computer trespassing and the distribution of a computer virus.

It would appear that the boy was caught and entered into a plea bargain, as State prosecutors agreed to withdraw eleven other similar offenses. He was allowed to return home and attend school but will be sentenced later this year.

Source: The Pittsburgh Channel [http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/22670393/detail.html] via GamePro [http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/214217/teen-admits-crashing-sony-site]

Apr 28, 2008
Wait, the first Socom game? That game sucked ass!

Still, suprised one teenager could do this. But its not all bad, its not like there are games that require online access at all times, so if something like this happened you wouldn't be able to play the games you own.

Wait... [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98396-Ubisoft-Online-DRM-Its-Worse-Than-Expected]

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
He admitted it? Was he feeling nice or did Sony send it's legion of followers to find him?

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
It would appear that the boy was caught and entered into a plea bargain, as State prosecutors agreed to withdraw eleven other similar offenses.
scarab7 said:
He admitted it? Was he feeling nice or did Sony send it's legion of followers to find him?
Reaaaad :)

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
scarab7 said:
Logan Westbrook said:
It would appear that the boy was caught and entered into a plea bargain, as State prosecutors agreed to withdraw eleven other similar offenses.
That should clear it up.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
JimmyBassatti said:
That kid lives near me. It was in the local papers on Friday.
Best gif ever. I loved Falling Down.

But anyways, back on topic, this kid should've used his hacking skills for good reasons, not random douchbaggery.

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
Hah, this kid should get a medal. I'm not normally that kind of person who support virus but think about it, a 17 year old kid infected the PlayStation website causing it to go down for eleven days. Either he is some kind of super human hacker or he gave Sony a heads up for their crappy security?

Amberella

Super Sailor Moon
Jan 23, 2010
addeB said:
Hah, this kid should get a medal. I'm not normally that kind of person who support virus but think about it, a 17 year old kid infected the PlayStation website causing it to go down for eleven days. Either he is some kind of super human hacker or he gave Sony a heads up for their crappy security?
Haha, I go with this.

I live in PA, I wonder if he lives anywhere near me. xD

Dexomega

Mar 29, 2009
Irridium said:

Still, suprised one teenager could do this. But its not all bad, its not like there are games that require online access at all times, so if something like this happened you wouldn't be able to play the games you own.

Wait... [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98396-Ubisoft-Online-DRM-Its-Worse-Than-Expected]
You'd be surprised how much "us teens" are capable of when our hormones are raging.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
For unlawful use of a computer, criminal use of a computer... State prosecutors agreed to withdraw eleven other similar offenses.
Were the other 11 offenses along the lines of "Illegal use of a computer", "Use of a computer which is against the law", "Use of a computer in a way which, while not yet illegal, we rather wish was" "Lawless use of a computer" and "Not explicitly legal use of a computer"

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Whoa whoa, wait. I read "Playstation" then "virus" and made a "O_O" face, until I read "denial of service" and "site".

I nominate this article for the most Most Misleading Article of 2010 Award.

Apr 28, 2008
Dexomega said:
Irridium said:

You'd be surprised how much "us teens" are capable of when our hormones are raging.
I know, I'm 18 so I've been there done that pretty recently.

Some of the greatest things I've seen have been from teenagers.
Also some of the dumbest things I've seen have been from teenagers.

Pretty exiting to say the least.