Teen Hacker Sentenced to Two Years in Jail for Hacking Minecraft, Xbox Live, and Others

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Teen Hacker Sentenced to Two Years in Jail for Hacking Minecraft, Xbox Live, and Others

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1401/1401021.jpgThe teenager who created the Titanium Stresser program has been sentenced to two years in jail.

Between late 2013 and early 2015, there were a number of distributed denial of service attacks carried out against various game servers and websites. Now the hacker that created the software responsible for those attacks has been sentenced to two years behind bars.

Hackers carried out over 1.7 million attacks using the Titanium Stresser program created by 20-year-old Adam Mudd. The attacks targeted networks including XBox Live, Teamspeak, and others, as well as Minecraft. He was also personally responsible for 594 DDoS attacks against 181 IP addresses between December 2013 and March 2015. Mudd also sold the program to other hackers, earning nearly $500,000 in cash and bitcoin.

Mudd plead guilty to the charges, and also admitted to breaching the security of West Herts College. The judge noted that the crimes in question had repercussions "from Greenland to New Zealand, from Russia to Chile," and said that the sentence he handed down would need to have "a real element of deterrent."

After citing his "duty to the public who are worried about this, threatened by this, damaged by this all the time," the judge handed down the two-year sentence. He refused to suspend the sentence, saying, "I'm entirely satisfied that you knew full well and understood completely this was not a game for fun."

According to The Guardian [https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/apr/25/teenage-hacker-adam-mudd-jailed-masterminding-attacks-sony-microsoft], Mudd "showed no emotion" at the verdict.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I don't think 2 years is enough for this type of thing. Not looking for additional jail time, but rather tack on the extra punishment of "banned for life from owning a computer."

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
And not a single tear was shed that day

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
RJ 17 said:
I don't think 2 years is enough for this type of thing. Not looking for additional jail time, but rather tack on the extra punishment of "banned for life from owning a computer."
I was curious if I was the only one that thought that sounded light...

I mean, it's hard to put an exact number on it but between loss of business and the pay for all the IT people fighting off the attack, I would think the damage would be in the millions of dollars (if not the B word...).

That would just be what he is personally responsible for doing, let alone all the damage his code in script kiddies hands would have done...

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
"a real element of deterrent."

And yet he still gave him two years. Was the judge Aaron Perskey?

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
eh, fuck him and anyone else who believes a DDoS is an acceptable course of action against people online.

Looking at the article he was doing this for his "online status" so fuck him again. Swingin' his big epeen around, "you nerf my class in runescape ima DDoS you" costing 6m pounds for the company.

And before you say, "well he was only 16 when he made the program" or "he has Asperger and was bullied". don't matter, acts is acts. He's not a noble freedom fighter railing against a corrupt system, He's a kid who was good with computers and wanted the respect and popularity online that he couldn't get in real life. And for that goal he became a worse bully than any of the people who bullied him in real life.

King_Julian

Jun 10, 2009
Man......he was smart enough to write a piece of code which would no doubt earn him enough money to point his life in the right direction yet he decides instead of selling it off straight away, he uses to cause stupid amounts of pointless damage resulting in a criminal record and 2 years of his life GONE!

Prison will no doubt turn him into a cyber villain now when he meets all the other cyber villains inside. They will band together and form the council of cyber villains and go on to cause major terror across the globe :)

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
RaikuFA said:

And yet he still gave him two years.
He is mostly a teenager and I don't think there are much precedent for such a crime. Not going to make excuses for Mudd, but I can see how the judge was really wishing he could do more but wouldn't unless he pushed the definition of some crimes past their breaking point.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
hermes said:
RaikuFA said:

And yet he still gave him two years.
He is mostly a teenager and I don't think there are much precedent for such a crime. Not going to make excuses for Mudd, but I can see how the judge was really wishing he could do more but wouldn't unless he pushed the definition of some crimes past their breaking point.
Two years is too lenient though. Only way we could see it being that small is if he is not allowed to use a computer for a decade.