Teenage Mad Scientist Creates Solar Death Ray

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
Oh my God...
Death Rays are so awesome! Unfortunely, it's below 9000... :(

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
mad825 said:
Still, this guy really needs to learn about safety. He would make a poor villain if it killed him.
Lol, the whole time I was watching I was just saying, "Watch your hands! WATCH YOUR HANDS!"

That, and I was worried that he was going to ruin those pliers.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
CrystalShadow said:
Lol. Melt steel with the power of the sun?

I've seen the same demonstration held at the focal point of a solar power plant...
Exactly, people have been doing this for ages.

"Intensity of 5000 suns" means 5000 times the sunlight the area would normally get. Presumably his 5,800 mirrors are about 85% efficient then.

This is not news.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Fun toy, but not an effective weapon. Archimedes' death ray didn't boast a whole lot of range, and you couldn't aim it at all.

Stammer said:
I'd love to see an episode of Mythbusters on this.
They had one. September 29th, 2004... entitled "Ancient Death Ray"

llafnwod

Nov 9, 2007
thaluikhain said:
CrystalShadow said:
Lol. Melt steel with the power of the sun?

I've seen the same demonstration held at the focal point of a solar power plant...
Exactly, people have been doing this for ages.

"Intensity of 5000 suns" means 5000 times the sunlight the area would normally get. Presumably his 5,800 mirrors are about 85% efficient then.

This is not news.
No, it isn't. Its a parabolic mirror. This is a cool science project, and that's it.

royohz

Official punching bag!
Jul 23, 2009
Apparently it was destroyed in a burning shed [http://www.burningshed.com] incident. Hehe...

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Don't they use arrays of these to generate electricity by aiming their beams at water and using the steam to drive turbines?
In fact, I think the technology featured in Fallout: New Vegas [I didn't play it, but I know there was a location called the Sol Station or something..].

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
loc978 said:
They had one. September 29th, 2004... entitled "Ancient Death Ray"
They've gone over this concept in at least 3 separate episodes. The latest one actually had Obama making a guest appearance.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
So I just watched a kid burn things for 4 minutes. And gee, I wonder why the shed burned down.

Let's hand the kid one of those SETI dishes and watch him go nuts.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Agayek said:
Didn't the Mythbusters prove this was impossible?
Well they proved it was ineffective as a weapon anyway.
This video even shows just how ineffective it'd be as any sort of "Death Ray." It's a "Death Ray" that requires the target to stand 2 feet in front of it and even then the most it can do is put a small hole in it.

hansari

May 31, 2009
mad825 said:
.Still, this guy really needs to learn about safety. He would make a poor villain if it killed him.
Uhhh...wouldn't that quality bring him that much closer to being a perfect copy of hollywood villainy?

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
I thought mythbusters busted this shit?!

Not much of a weapon though if the post where the light is concentrated is only a foot or two away from the device.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
So the kid took a few THOUSAND YEAR OLD design, didn't do anything to is, and it's news?
Hell, I used to burn grass a little kid by aligning a few loose mirrors that we had around the house. This isn't really a breakthrough.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
Good god. He did better than the Mythbusters(though they are more awesome)...

I must, though, now leave to update my tin-can-robot army to be able to fight this menace.

Good thing it burned down. It'll take him time to fix it.