Teenage Mad Scientist Creates Solar Death Ray

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Teenage Mad Scientist Creates Solar Death Ray

You'll all rue the day you laughed at me! Rue the day! Mwahahahaha!

Any super villain worth his or her salt has a death ray sitting in the weapon vaults, just in case. It's a rule of the universe. Here in the U.S., a teen named Eric Jacqmain managed to make just such a device in his back yard.

Jacqmain assembled his "Solar Death Ray" by mounting 5,800 3/8-inch mirrors onto a fiberglass satellite dish. He then mounted the thing onto a wagon chassis, which allows him to properly align the mirrors with the sun.

When properly aligned, the mirrors give the creation the ability to "generate a spot the size of a dime with an intensity of 5000 suns! This amount of power is more than enough to melt steel, vaporize aluminum, boil concrete, turn dirt into lava, and obliterate any organic material in an instant."

These claims may sound extreme, but the demonstration video shows just how powerful this low-tech death ray is. When Jacqmain finally decides to make a bid for world domination, I'll be the first person in line to sign up for his Soulless Legion of Evil (hopefully I'll get a toaster as a signing bonus).

Source: Geek

Dec 14, 2009
Bah, I've been using one of these things on my Super Secret Deathstar of Super Secrecy for years.

Err, I mean, nice death ray!

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
vansau said:
You'll all rue the day you laughed at me! Rue the day! Mwahahahaha!
My brain read that in Brady Culture's voice, and now I'm not scared of the death ray at all.

Sadly YouTube seems to be having a pout and doesn't want to load the video for me right now. :(

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
If I get killed by a disco ball, I'm so blaming you for making this public.

Still, I'm suprised this wasn't made into some sort of ancient Chinese war machine or something...

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
vansau said:
Any super villain worth his or her salt has a death ray sitting in the weapon vaults, just in case. It's a rule of the universe.

I hate to admit it, but it's true.

I have a death ray cannon in my basement...and on the Moon.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Lol. Melt steel with the power of the sun?

I've seen the same demonstration held at the focal point of a solar power plant...

Yeah, never underestimate the power of light. XD

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
Awesome!

Judging how he stood in front of it at 0:50, I think we'll be safe in the event of him starting a World Domination campaign. Fingers crossed.

Also, 5000 suns? Bit of an exageration there, surely.

Edit: Okay, okay. I had a bit of a Spiderman 2 image going on in my head with Dr Octopus and his fusion machine when I read 5000 suns. I realise it's dependent on where the measurement of the power of the sun is taken, and in what context.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Agayek said:
Didn't the Mythbusters prove this was impossible?
not really, all they disproved was the fable of Archimedes burning the Roman invasion fleet with mirrors.

Still, this guy really needs to learn about safety. He would make a poor villain if it killed him.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
That boy's got balls. Using pliers to hold the rock. One slip and that's his fingers gone.

Tomtitan

Jun 7, 2010
I can imagine this kid in ten years time saying "I suppose I can give up ONE of my doomsday devices and still be feared".

That was epic.

starhaven

Jan 24, 2010
Agayek said:
Didn't the Mythbusters prove this was impossible?
on a large scale that you can't burn a boat in water and use it as a weapon as the myth started but this is very small very limited scale