Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Co-Creator: Movie Designs "Fix What Isn't Broken"

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
Dragonbums said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
The turtles have never looked good in live-action. They didn't look good back in the costumed films and they don't look good now that they're CGI. They're only passable in the comics, or in 2D animation.
It can definitely work. If only though that they do an entire redesign overhaul. Perhaps it's just uncanny valley land, but nothing is more creepy than an almost humanoid but now quite human, hyper realistic turtle man (or any beast creature I might add)

In my opinion, the only way for it to look appealing is if they go the way of Master Roshi's design. Basically an upright rat with human like attributes to the design.

If they wanted to keep it "human like" then they can emphasize on a more beaked head like real turtles and adjust the body anatomy accordingly. Even diminish the shell till it's nothing more than a really hard back rump. It can work...but you know...brand recognition and all.
I think you're confusing your Masters :p
Something in the back of my mind told me that was wrong...but man I can't remember...it's right there on the tip of my tongue.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Leonardo and Donatello look...moderately okay. Leo still has those big human lips going on, but at least he and Don have vaguely turtle like face features.

Raph and Mike just look awful though with their humanish noses. Mike is probably the worst looking of the bunch just with his overall facial structure.

I don't really mind the extra features like the armor or goggles or whatever (I'm not gonna say I love them but they aren't deal breakers for me...)

So yeah...two of the four turtles look kinda sorta okay, one looks meh and the other looks awful.

Not the best track record in the world, but at this point I'll take what I can.

...I'm probably not going to go see this movie anyways.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Dragonbums said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Dragonbums said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
The turtles have never looked good in live-action. They didn't look good back in the costumed films and they don't look good now that they're CGI. They're only passable in the comics, or in 2D animation.
It can definitely work. If only though that they do an entire redesign overhaul. Perhaps it's just uncanny valley land, but nothing is more creepy than an almost humanoid but now quite human, hyper realistic turtle man (or any beast creature I might add)

In my opinion, the only way for it to look appealing is if they go the way of Master Roshi's design. Basically an upright rat with human like attributes to the design.

If they wanted to keep it "human like" then they can emphasize on a more beaked head like real turtles and adjust the body anatomy accordingly. Even diminish the shell till it's nothing more than a really hard back rump. It can work...but you know...brand recognition and all.
Something in the back of my mind told me that was wrong...but man I can't remember...it's right there on the tip of my tongue.
Maybe because Roshi wears a turtle carapace on his back?

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
Dragonbums said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Dragonbums said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

Was it? Wow. I wasn't even close. Had to look it up...Splinter...I could've sworn that was a bad guy name. Wow it's been AGES since I last watched Ninja Turtles.
Maybe because Roshi wears a turtle carapace on his back?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Dragonbums said:
Wow. I wasn't even close. Had to look it up...Splinter...I could've sworn that was a bad guy name. Wow it's been AGES since I last watched Ninja Turtles.
Right, Splinter is the turtles' teacher, the bad guy is called Shredder (which would make sense as a rat name). Roshi is the guy with the turtle shell in Dragon Ball.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
Dragonbums said:
Wow. I wasn't even close. Had to look it up...Splinter...I could've sworn that was a bad guy name. Wow it's been AGES since I last watched Ninja Turtles.
Right, Splinter is the turtles' teacher, the bad guy is called Shredder (which would make sense as a rat name). Roshi is the guy with the turtle shell in Dragon Ball.
Omg. That was the worst memory recall I ever had in my life.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
valium said:
I think it worked with the toys and cartoons because they kept their mostly turtle appearance heads on top of their humanoid bodies. I think the problem is trying to too humanoid the heads too, and it is coming off as creepy as all hell.
It's some weird invocation of Uncanney Valley, I agree. I actually liked the Henson muppet versions, though. I think they worked well enough.

ExtraDebit said:
No one thought it's silly they wore mask? Mask was traditionally used to conceal who we are, the way TMNT does it just defeats the purpose first by giving it color code so we KNOW who's wearing the mask and second we already KNOW who's wearing the mask. There's only 4 of them in the world!
The colour is so people at home (kids) can identify them. Besides, does it really matter? They fail at pretty much every element of of the concept of Ninja in almost every iteration.

The word "ninja" literally means "hidden one" and if they still exist today they wouldn't be wearing mask or things that get them attention, they'll be wearing suit and tie or a hoodie to blend in with everyone else.
The idea is not to draw attention. Have you not noticed how much hoodies can draw attention? Wear one around white people can you can get shot.

Ninja would very likely dress in uniforms. Servicemen, delivery men, drivers, etc. People we are conditioned to not look twice at, the direct analogue to the way Ninja operated in the past. And the way subterfuge is employed now.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
ShakerSilver said:
I'm probably pretty alone here, but I don't have toooooo much of a problem with the redesigns. They're exaggerated to a point well beyond silliness, but shouldn't we expect individuals to tailor their fashion around their personalities? In the modern world we have jocks, emos, goths, hipsters, rastafarians, preps, and countless other groups of like-minded people all easily distinguished by their fashion. Is it so unlikely that Donatello would like the look of some steampunk goggles? Or that Raph would wear some badass shades? After all, not only are they part of the modern day, not only do they live in a city full of diversity, but they're TEENAGERS! If anything the redesigns make MORE sense than their traditional look, despite the aforementioned silliness.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
NoeL said:
I'm probably pretty alone here, but I don't have toooooo much of a problem with the redesigns. They're exaggerated to a point well beyond silliness, but shouldn't we expect individuals to tailor their fashion around their personalities? In the modern world we have jocks, emos, goths, hipsters, rastafarians, preps, and countless other groups of like-minded people all easily distinguished by their fashion. Is it so unlikely that Donatello would like the look of some steampunk goggles? Or that Raph would wear some badass shades? After all, not only are they part of the modern day, not only do they live in a city full of diversity, but they're TEENAGERS! If anything the redesigns make MORE sense than their traditional look, despite the aforementioned silliness.
You're not alone, but I still think they're kinda lame.

Though honestly, for me it's more the faces than the extra gear. I don't think I'd mind much if it was a more classic Raph with a 'doo rag or Mikey with shark teeth. I mean, since the 80s cartoons he's had a "surfer dude" attitude, so why not accesorise like one.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
The first two 90's films actually copied the style of the Mirage comics quite well. It's a simple and clean design.

Bay's designs just look like a mess.