Teenager Kills Mother Over Halo 3

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Hey parents, don't use games as babysiters!

If your stupid kid has easy access to a firearm I'd say more than one thing was wrong in that family :p

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
jdnoth said:
This boy is the new standard for hardcore gamers. But seriously; killing over an overrated console fps? What a weird kid.
Which game would've made it worthwhile, pray tell?

(And yes, I know I've already posted a similar response; I'm just tired of letting this crap go unchallenged.)

-- Steve

jdnoth

Sep 3, 2008
Anton P. Nym said:
jdnoth said:
This boy is the new standard for hardcore gamers. But seriously; killing over an overrated console fps? What a weird kid.

(And yes, I know I've already posted a similar response; I'm just tired of letting this crap go unchallenged.)

-- Steve
There is a fine line between challenging the crap and feeding the trolls.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
So someone's going to attempt to make us believe that this game- which he bought, but never actually had a chance to play- transformed this sweet, innocent church-going boy into a hardened killer the moment he laid his hands on it?

I'm sorry, the streets in front of every GameStop and EB Games would be littered with bodies if this were even remotely true.

There was obviously something tremendously wrong with this young man well before he snuck out of his house that night. You do not put a handgun to the heads of your parents and pull the trigger just because they won't let you "get your frag on"; there are no small number of simple human instincts that would normally work to stop this. I wouldn't doubt that further investigation would find that this boy had deep-seated psychological problems... but hey, that doesn't sell nearly as many newspapers as "Video Game Turns Choir Boy Into Murderer".

Xojins

Jan 7, 2008
Anton P. Nym said:
jdnoth said:

-- Steve
I second this.
I would also like to say that it probably wasn't just the game that caused him to do this; there were probably many other factors that contributed to him shooting his parents. The video game was merely the straw that broke the camel's back, as it were.

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
calelogan said:
This is just insane. The cold-blooded manner in which the kid acted.

Video games are completely out of the question here. You don't store a gun someplace unlocked and there's definitely more to it than simply an enraged person with no games.

Society just like to choose someone to take the fall.
unless it's someone important i don't think taking the fall would help much

Fronken

May 10, 2008
Always sad when things like this happens, and i know its gonna sound really cold hearted, but the saddest thing here is that the gaming industry will take a beating from the media cause of this, and no, im not some over obsessed gamer, im just a normal guy, but the fact is that his behaviour doesnt really have anything to do with gaming, gaming just happened to be the thing that pushed him over the edge, it might as well have been an argument with a friend or some idiot in traffic pissing him off or something, things like this will always happen...sadly, but blaiming the thing that happened to push them over the edge and saying thats the thing thats dangerous is just dumb.

Gaming does not make people violent, thats been prooven over and over again, yet, the mainstream media apparently cant read the reports nor can they research it themselfs.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
My heart goes out to the family for this death, but obviously not to the kid.

The kid had to be psychotic if he killed his mother just because of Halo.

Obviously there's something more to this than just getting pissed off at his parents for taking away Halo. You only do this kind of stuff if you're already mentally psychotic.

I'll say it like I always say it, Video Games do affect you in some way, negative or positive. For all we know, Halo 3 could have been the event that tipped him over the edge to kill his mother (hell, we all get angry at our parents, though usually not enough to kill them (just enough to say you want to kill them)). However, it's yet to be proven that video games are the sole reason for this violent behavior from happening, but I'm not denying that it may have some sortof subconcious effect to it.

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
OK, that's creepy. I've gotten angry with my parents when they forbid me to buy M-rated games, but seriously, that's horrible.

wavebossa

Dec 15, 2008
Although the title for the this news story does not reveal everything, the fact of the matter is that it is accurate. I know that we are all gamers and get a little touchy (as we should) when games are unfairly characterize as the harbinger of every death and laziness on earth, but...

There's no mistaken it, he killed his mother due to the halo incident. Yes, this young man was very troubled and there was so much more going on his life than we can possibly know from a simple court statement, but the fact is that halo 3 was the tipping point.

Think of it this way: If this young man (with the same homicidal tendencies) was denied his computer in the same fashion that he was denied Halo 3 (i.e. they locked it up in some room with a 9mm) and then he subsequently broke into that room, reclaimed his computer, and shot his mother we would have to concede that he did this partly based on his parents taking his computer from him.

It's no different here. Just because he probably had a million other sick thoughts in his mind when he killed his parents, it doesn't discount the fact that "Mommy and Daddy took Halo From Me!" was at the forefront of all of them.

Sad.

Bagaloo

Sep 17, 2008
To do that to the very people who brought you into the world...
This sort of behaviour is why I have no hope for humanity anymore :<

wavebossa

Dec 15, 2008
Fragamoo said:
To do that to the very people who brought you into the world...
This sort of behaviour is why I have no hope for humanity anymore :<
I know this is a sad and tragic event, but this shouldn't be the reason why you have no hope for humanity anymore. As they say, "Don't Let the Bastards get you down." And this f*cking twat is the Bastard King.

Excuse my asterisk

Novajam

Apr 26, 2008
Well that's sad. But as the trend is in these cases it's seems the kid had some serious problems before he came into contact with a videogame and unfortunately didn't get help early enough.

And what's the point of a lockbox if you don't keep it locked?

wavebossa

Dec 15, 2008
Novajam said:
And what's the point of a lockbox if you don't keep it locked?
That's a damn good question my friend... It's like setting up a blank password in windows. It may give you outward sense of security, until someone actually tries to use your computer and realizes, oh, what a retard.

Your point, Novajam, is only amplified by the fact that a loaded gun was also present. Yes, a loaded gun and Halo 3 deserve an equal amount security... NONE.

Sad.

Lunar Shadow

Dec 9, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
wilsonscrazybed said:
No one kills their parents over one incident. You don't 'go' crazy, you already 'are' crazy. Halo 3 may have been a catalyst, but the real issue here is that teens with disorders aren't receiving psychological care. Maybe it's the parents don't have the tools to judge signs of aggression, or simply that they're too preoccupied with work to take notice of their children's problems.

Again, gaming is a 'whipping boy' for psychotic behavior.
That would be Anonymous. You would be better off not dealing with them.

seconded like a b*tch. I can't believe they could put the headline like that, as if the boy was an upstanding christian missionary, until they said 'no halo' and he gunned them down at the drop of a hat. It is almost as bad as the 'boy runs away from home because parents took away CoD 4, ends up in ditch' story. In that one they said he started skipping school and stealing, as if you would need to steal if CoD 4 was the centre piece of your life.

This crap needs to stop, I say we go V for vendetta stylee on websites like this!

What was the name of those guys who vowed to take down scientology btw?
That would be Anonymous. You would be better off not dealing with them.

Healey

Apr 14, 2008
I think it's slightly wrong for the media to be using the name of the game. It's stories like this that create a massive scare, in extreme cases leading to more violence as more parents ban their kids. does it really matter what game it was, so long as you say it was a shooter? Oh, and also agreeing with the fact this kid obviously had some issues to begin with.

MsDevin92

Nov 9, 2008
No offense, but my brother's already violent and Halo-loving and a prick to my mom, now I'm worried about her. o_o;

My tendency to freak out about stuff aside, this is one reason why I hate the idea of having a gun in any household...

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
AceDiamond said:
Oh look another psychotic murder that's blamed on video games because people are quick to judge.

If he had done it out of some sort of impulsive motivation without thinking then he wouldn't have said "hey guys close your eyes"

No, he knew exactly what he was doing. Fucking psycho.
My thoughts are pretty much this as well. Saying something along the lines of "close your eyes" pretty much means you have something planned and thought it out.

oneofm4ny

May 27, 2007
Malygris said:
They took it away from him and put it into a "lockbox" in their closet, where they also kept a 9 mm handgun.
Thank god they didn't store their home-made atomic bomb in there too...

Just sad.