Tekken 7 Character Excluded From U.S. Release After Negative Feedback

loa

New member
Jan 28, 2012
1,716
0
0
Lazy and uninspired? Sure, whatever. "Catgirl" isn't exactly the pinnacle of untapped creativity.

But catgirls being controversial to the point of removal from games nowadays?
I think not especially since this is super tame compared to



Who has been in a few modern games and no one gave a shit.

This seems more like a PR stunt.
 

sageoftruth

New member
Jan 29, 2010
3,417
0
0
hermes200 said:
I don't care about that character. It might be included or not, it makes no difference to me.

But I would like Harada to include an option for some characters to be excluded of the list of selectables, for versus or online games... Specifically, Gon and Boskonovitch.
I forsee a bunch of the less mature gamers excluding every character in the game except for the ones that are weak against their mains. Not that there's anything wrong with that. As long as it doesn't affect the others playing.
 

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
2,093
0
0
I'd tell these so-called fans to stop being whiny cry-babies but then again I was quite vocal about the whole Mass Effect 3 ending thing so I have no room to talk.

Just where do we draw the line when it comes to customer/creator interaction? Personally I don't think a particular character, essentially a design and the result of someone's work effort, should be excluded from a game simply because fans don't subjectively "like" it. If it was something offensive due to cultural differences then that's possibly fair game... but not this.

Too far people, too far.
 

144_v1legacy

New member
Apr 25, 2008
648
0
0
ObsidianJones said:
Eri said:
FirstNameLastName said:
Hahaha. Oh wow. He sulked about the criticism so much, and talked about taking his ball and going home. I didn't think he would actually do it.
This sounds like something a bully would say.

You (not you specifically) do not get to be an asshole to someone and then when they say, "fuck you guys, I'm leaving", and then you and your friends go, "What an asshole."

No. YOU were the one being an asshole to start with, you don't get to call him out.
On the same token.

You don't bake cookies for your class and give three students out of 40 a first taste, hear that snotty girl say "God, this tastes like he never baked anything before in his life", then promptly take all the cookies and go give them to the class around the hall.

I wasn't being an asshole. Neither were my other classmates. Why should my whole class suffer for things we didn't have a chance to experience because a small percentage of the class said something? It might not have been my cup of tea, but I would have understood the effort of it.

It's an asshole thing to punish the group for what a minority did. That didn't fly in school, namely because it doesn't fly in the real world either.
I don't think that analogy holds.

Allow me to adjust: he showed a Japanese classroom a picture of cookies, and an American classroom a picture of cookies, and a snotty girl in the USA classroom was obnoxious. But not just a little obnoxious, very rude and she hurt his feelings in front of everyone. And so when he baked the cookies, he brought them to the Japanese classroom.

That does fly in the real world, because you shouldn't have to stay in a place where your feelings get hurt. Even if it's just a few people. He obviously didn't get this treatment from the non-USA audiences, so why should he cater to the many of us who are polite and have to grin and bear the few that piss him off, when he can give a character to markets that appreciate him completely?

It only takes one bully to ruin a kid's school year. If there was just one person who made me feel shitty like this at work, I'd probably want to switch locations too.
 
Jan 27, 2011
3,740
0
0
Yeah, I just heard about this.

I REAAAALLY hope he's kidding about removing her from the NA version. Because seriously, fuck the handful of people going "wah wah wah, me no likey her, me no want her in the game!". You don't just jack content out of a game because a handful of people go "waaaah, me no want that character, take them out!", that's stupid.

Seriously, more variety in fighters is good. For example, I find R.O.B. in smash to be a really dumb stupid character, but I don't want him removed. Other people use him, and I'd rather they use him than one of my own main fighters.

Not to mention that the tekken series already has a fighter who uses breakdancing as his main combat style, as well as there being a giant bear and a dinosaur with boxing gloves. I think the "She too silly to be in the game" argument is kinda freakin' moot. I mean, Bloody Roar (a game about badasses street fighting while turning into Combat Beasts) wasn't a worse game because Yuriko the Half-Beat (ie cat girl) existed, so why is this cat girl a problem? Sheesh.

Seriously, this is almost as bad as the jackholes in League of Legends screaming "Delete Teemo!" every chance they get. Teemo is awesome!

The skinhead comment he made made me chuckle, though. Because I'm sure a fair chunk of the people whining about Chloe in Tekken would ACTUALLY prefer a dumb steroid abusing boring skinhead character instead. :p
 

Xariat

New member
Jan 30, 2011
148
0
0
I never understood why people get angry at the developer when they take their ball and goes home. its their fucking ball, they can take it where ever they want. If you wanted to play with the ball get angry at the shitkids who cause the developer to leave, don't join them and attempt to bully the dev back.

If Harada feels like his character is not wanted in the US it is well within his rights to not release the character in the US. And add some fine sarcasm in his reply.
 

blackdwarf

New member
Jun 7, 2010
606
0
0
I find the design rather dumb. I don't like kawai cat girl shit, but I don't see that as a reason to not like a fighting game, so long there are characters I want to play. Being European means I will get this character if I buy Tekken 7, but I will probably ignore her, unless someone I know is playing her. In that I will just ridicule that person.
 

xPixelatedx

New member
Jan 19, 2011
1,316
0
0
If all devs listened to NeoGAF, the entire industry right now would be nothing but Gone Home and Last of Us clones. Please ignore those people and their million+ triggers. I'm so happy the industry denied them a press pass for E3.
 

ryukage_sama

New member
Mar 12, 2009
508
0
0
This seems like self-aggrandizing on Harada's part. I know he's a fan of the pop idol management genre of games, and this fits in perfectly to that aesthetic. The "skin-head" comment is the most troubling. Simply making certain characters region specific to appeal the biggest demographic in each region makes some sense business wise. That can be done effectively at least some of the time. But throwing out that sort of language toward the comments I saw in 4 pages of the NeoGaf thread seems wholly unjustified. Even the people on their who evidently like anime (based on their avatars) were critical of it, so Harada taking it as some form of racism is almost as bizarre as Lucky Chloe's design as a fighting game character.
 

Agente L

New member
Apr 4, 2010
233
0
0
IS there people seriously blaming harada for this, and not neogaf for being for throwing a huge fit?

Come on guys, think a bit.
 

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
623
0
0
aegix drakan said:
I REAAAALLY hope he's kidding about removing her from the NA version. Because seriously, fuck the handful of people going "wah wah wah, me no likey her, me no want her in the game!". You don't just jack content out of a game because a handful of people go "waaaah, me no want that character, take them out!", that's stupid.
I don't know. According to this forum, that's a legitimate, customer-friendly stance. Or is that only in context of major retailers? It gets hard to tell with some of the back and forth on here.
 

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Apr 14, 2020
5,184
173
68
The funny thing is the stereotype that the developer used for the kind of character the western audiences would prefer. It made me laugh, because it has a hint of truth.
 
Sep 24, 2008
2,461
0
0
144 said:
Allow me to adjust: he showed a Japanese classroom a picture of cookies, and an American classroom a picture of cookies, and a snotty girl in the USA classroom was obnoxious. But not just a little obnoxious, very rude and she hurt his feelings in front of everyone. And so when he baked the cookies, he brought them to the Japanese classroom.

That does fly in the real world, because you shouldn't have to stay in a place where your feelings get hurt. Even if it's just a few people. He obviously didn't get this treatment from the non-USA audiences, so why should he cater to the many of us who are polite and have to grin and bear the few that piss him off, when he can give a character to markets that appreciate him completely?

It only takes one bully to ruin a kid's school year. If there was just one person who made me feel shitty like this at work, I'd probably want to switch locations too.
If we want to adjust, we can adjust all night.

I think it's important to define the 'Class' in this situation. The Class, of course, should be North American Tekken players or fighting game enthusiast. Now I don't go to NeoGAF. Any of these other forums. I come here. And even then, not even all gamers come to some type of forum. You might love tekken or fighting games, but you don't spend your time in forums.

so to fine tune this analogy, That picture you talked about was not in front of the class. It was on a Bulletin board that the entire school can look at. That is literally all a forum is. A Bulletin Board that even a fraction of the internet traffic happens to walk upon. And Harada just happened to be walking by and saw that snotty girl from the American Class leaving a stupid note under Harada's picture at that Bulletin Board.

Not in the class. Not as the entire class was gathered. One girl. Saying something. at the Bulletin Board. Now, yes, that might be embarrassing. But it is one girl. And just because she belongs to a group, doesn't mean she represents the group. That's the same kind of thinking that leads people to believe all Muslims are terrorists because there are some Muslim Terrorists, and all blacks are criminals because there are black criminals.

Back to the analogy. I'm walking by the Bulletin Board, as a part of the American Class, and I see that under the cookies picture that the baker Harada says left another note: "Fine, all you American people don't like my cookies, you can only have them if you beg for them!"

Because that's literally what Harada did.

Recently, others have tweeted to Harada asking him not to exclude Lucky Chloe from the U.S. release of the game. Harada has clarified that he does see both positive and negative feedback to the character.

"If you need = I release. If you don't need = I don't release," Harada said.
So. In the end. As a fighting game enthusiast. As a Tekken Player... who said nothing in Lucky Chloe's supposed hate parade by North Americans, I need to rally other fighting game people not to be shafted for something I didn't do. To sate a man's ego. Which I did nothing to offend but I have to suffer his ire because of my location on this planet.

And lastly, and I really want someone to try to figure this out... The Escapist to me seems like it's at least 30 percent European, maybe 40 North American and 30 the rest of the world. Harada has NO IDEA the Ethnicities or the location of those posters. I went to NeoGaf and took a sample to find out. Most people don't even have their profile filled out.

So... What, because it's in english it has to be North America behind it? I saw people saying things about Japan in the forum, I'll give you that. But very few if any posters saying "As a North American, this offends me."

But no. It had to be all from North Americans. For reasons.
 

Char-Nobyl

New member
May 8, 2009
784
0
0
Wait...really? Tekken is a series filled with cyborgs, robots, schoolgirls, Bruce Lee, multiple bears, a boxing raptor, and a handful of characters who also turn into demons sometimes. I'm not really a fan of this character design, but I don't hate it or anything. There's been stupider things in Tekken than a girl wearing headphones, cat ears, and paw-gloves. The worst thing I can really say about it is that it's not really very creative, especially when stacked alongside all those other things I just mentioned.

But Harada sorta sounds like the villain in this story, or at least really immature. One forum really didn't like his new character, so his response was to start throwing insults at every gamer in the Western hemisphere. And also hold the character hostage until enough people beg him for it back.

Somebody should probably also mention that 'skinhead' isn't really a synonym for 'bald,' though.
 

144_v1legacy

New member
Apr 25, 2008
648
0
0
ObsidianJones said:
144 said:
Allow me to adjust: he showed a Japanese classroom a picture of cookies, and an American classroom a picture of cookies, and a snotty girl in the USA classroom was obnoxious. But not just a little obnoxious, very rude and she hurt his feelings in front of everyone. And so when he baked the cookies, he brought them to the Japanese classroom.

That does fly in the real world, because you shouldn't have to stay in a place where your feelings get hurt. Even if it's just a few people. He obviously didn't get this treatment from the non-USA audiences, so why should he cater to the many of us who are polite and have to grin and bear the few that piss him off, when he can give a character to markets that appreciate him completely?

It only takes one bully to ruin a kid's school year. If there was just one person who made me feel shitty like this at work, I'd probably want to switch locations too.
If we want to adjust, we can adjust all night.

I think it's important to define the 'Class' in this situation. The Class, of course, should be North American Tekken players or fighting game enthusiast. Now I don't go to NeoGAF. Any of these other forums. I come here. And even then, not even all gamers come to some type of forum. You might love tekken or fighting games, but you don't spend your time in forums.

so to fine tune this analogy, That picture you talked about was not in front of the class. It was on a Bulletin board that the entire school can look at. That is literally all a forum is. A Bulletin Board that even a fraction of the internet traffic happens to walk upon. And Harada just happened to be walking by and saw that snotty girl from the American Class leaving a stupid note under Harada's picture at that Bulletin Board.

Not in the class. Not as the entire class was gathered. One girl. Saying something. at the Bulletin Board. Now, yes, that might be embarrassing. But it is one girl. And just because she belongs to a group, doesn't mean she represents the group. That's the same kind of thinking that leads people to believe all Muslims are terrorists because there are some Muslim Terrorists, and all blacks are criminals because there are black criminals.

Back to the analogy. I'm walking by the Bulletin Board, as a part of the American Class, and I see that under the cookies picture that the baker Harada says left another note: "Fine, all you American people don't like my cookies, you can only have them if you beg for them!"

Because that's literally what Harada did.

Recently, others have tweeted to Harada asking him not to exclude Lucky Chloe from the U.S. release of the game. Harada has clarified that he does see both positive and negative feedback to the character.

"If you need = I release. If you don't need = I don't release," Harada said.
So. In the end. As a fighting game enthusiast. As a Tekken Player... who said nothing in Lucky Chloe's supposed hate parade by North Americans, I need to rally other fighting game people not to be shafted for something I didn't do. To sate a man's ego. Which I did nothing to offend but I have to suffer his ire because of my location on this planet.

And lastly, and I really want someone to try to figure this out... The Escapist to me seems like it's at least 30 percent European, maybe 40 North American and 30 the rest of the world. Harada has NO IDEA the Ethnicities or the location of those posters. I went to NeoGaf and took a sample to find out. Most people don't even have their profile filled out.

So... What, because it's in english it has to be North America behind it? I saw people saying things about Japan in the forum, I'll give you that. But very few if any posters saying "As a North American, this offends me."

But no. It had to be all from North Americans. For reasons.
Exactly (more or less). A few bad apples in the Tekken community ruined it for everyone. If you see my first post, I'm glad that for once, a developer has said "I've had it with you assholes." For too long, the gaming community has had a stigma of being made up of jerks who throw bile with no consequence. Maybe now the gaming community has the chance to prove that it's also made up of nice guys.

If that were true, the next thing that would happen would be a bunch of feel-good messages to Harada, asking politely that he change his mind, and that the mean people don't represent the Tekken community. Nice people would recognize that his feelings were hurt, and try to make him feel better.

Instead, the Tekken community is just being more rude to him. I don't think that's the way to get what you want.

Also, I've decided to leave your analogies alone. They don't work so well.
 

BrownGaijin

New member
Jan 31, 2009
895
0
0
Yo Escapist, check his thread again. I think we've all been punked!

https://mobile.twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/542583593776599040