Tekken X Street Fighter Still Not Cancelled, Still no News

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Tekken X Street Fighter Still Not Cancelled, Still no News

Tekken X Street Fighter producer Katsuhiro Harada has reminded fans that yes, the game is still in development, and no, he doesn't have anything to show us.

It's time for Katsuhiro Harada's Street Fighter X Tekken [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126550-Tekken-X-Street-Fighter-is-Still-Actually-in-Development] is still actually in development. But does he have anything new to show us? Unfortunately, we'll have to spend another year relying on naught but the man's good faith.

In an interview with Famitsu [http://www.famitsu.com/serial/tsubakigame/201507/11080454.html#page02], Harada was somewhat jokingly asked if he and Namco had forgotten about the game. "That's not true!" he responded adamantly. "I've been saying this since before, but the fact of the matter is that we're at a pretty far stage into its development."

"It might seem like we haven't started on it at all, but the character lineup has been decided upon since a very long time ago," he continued. "And we've already finished the polygon models, moves, and systems."

Harada's involvement with several other projects, such as Tekken 7 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/pokken%20tournament?os=%20pokken%20tournament] may be what is holding the project back, as he even admits in the interview that "with all of the products [we are developing], there's that special timing that we need for [Tekken X Street Fighter] to have its own spotlight. So on the marketing side, it's a special situation, but we can say that it hasn't been cancelled, so please relax."

Street Fighter X Tekken, Tekken X Street Fighter's companion game was developed by Capcom with a very Street Fighter-style engine, and came out all the way back in 2012. It's now been five years and counting since Tekken X Street Fighter was first announced, pushing it further and further into vaporware territory.

Source: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/12/tekken-x-street-fighter-is-well-into-development-says-harada/]

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
If and when it comes out, keep that neckbeard Aris away from any and all promotions.

And on disc DLC.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Even if this comes out, I don't really think it'll do well. The original SFxT was not well received from what I remember, even without all the Day One DLC controversy, and Capcom's working on SF5 so I doubt they'll have the time or will to pitch in.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i rather care for tekken only for pc. dont like the graphics from the previous title. never was a street fighter fan. hope that tekken 7 will be released for pc and hopefully a good port on that.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Surprised theyre still bothered with it.

Though considering what happened, i would want to put as much distance between it and SFxT as much as possible as well.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Who's really holding out for this one? Is there a large overlap of people who really like the Street Fighter characters, but only on the condition that they are controlled with Tekken-style inputs or people who like SFxT but were unfamiliar with the SF controls? If this magical target audience exists, I doubt it will be in numbers worth the cost of actually releasing this vaporware. And even if all of those stars aligned, interest waned a couple of years ago, which in today's videogame climate is a death knell for any project, unless it has a cult fanbase.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Scrythe said:
Who's really holding out for this one? Is there a large overlap of people who really like the Street Fighter characters, but only on the condition that they are controlled with Tekken-style inputs or people who like SFxT but were unfamiliar with the SF controls? If this magical target audience exists, I doubt it will be in numbers worth the cost of actually releasing this vaporware. And even if all of those stars aligned, interest waned a couple of years ago, which in today's videogame climate is a death knell for any project, unless it has a cult fanbase.
Actually its less possible that there's no one who wanted this. A target audience exists for just about anything, it may not be large or it could be and they're just not vocal since there hasn't been any news since SFxT came out about the reverse crossover. Not every fanbase is a bunch of screaming mouths.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Scrythe said:
Well, while SFxT was a bit of a trainwreck, there was people who did enjoy the base mechanics of the game and the netcode for online gameplay was pretty decent by the standards in place at it's release.
That and part of the appeal is not just the fact SF characters being played with Tekken controls, but also to see what they do with the characters designs and their moves in a 3d setting, something that was never really tapped into during the course of SF's history.

As for public interest, when they actually have something, some gameplay trailers and promos should be enough to remind people that this game exists.
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Actually its less possible that there's no one who wanted this. A target audience exists for just about anything, it may not be large or it could be and they're just not vocal since there hasn't been any news since SFxT came out about the reverse crossover. Not every fanbase is a bunch of screaming mouths.
This, I mean, we can't really freak out about nothing, they might do a sneaky reveal like Capcom did where they just showed Ryu standing in their reveal trailer before having Kazuya walk up to him.
Besides, they are pretty busy at the moment with Smash Bros, Tekken 7 and Pokken (Pokemon!Tekken) so it's not surprising that they put it on the backburner after Capcom's..."Effort".

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Diablo1099 said:
This, I mean, we can't really freak out about nothing, they might do a sneaky reveal like Capcom did where they just showed Ryu standing in their reveal trailer before having Kazuya walk up to him.
Besides, they are pretty busy at the moment with Smash Bros, Tekken 7 and Pokken (Pokemon!Tekken) so it's not surprising that they put it on the backburner after Capcom's..."Effort".
It kinda bothers me a bit that gaming fanbases are now seemingly expected to be a mass of howling jacktards. I'm sometimes almost ashamed to consider myself part of the same fanbase as some of the negative screaming hordes that call themselves gamers. I mean yeah the industry is stupid at times, often enough to be annoying. However, I've found that taking the high road and being constructive in criticisms is more effective than straight bashing the industry relentlessly with little positive additions. I don't expect glowing reviews of disappointing games, but I'd like to see less of the "this shit sucks" attitude and more "here's a few reasons why I'm disappointed and here's the ideas I have that could have made it better" attitude. The latter half seems to be drowned out by the former.
Anyway, Capcom dropped the ball with SFxT and the people at Bandai/Namco have every right to put TxSF on hold. I'd rather they focus on making games they want to make and if TxSF does come about, it'll be best served not being rushed.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
It kinda bothers me a bit that gaming fanbases are now seemingly expected to be a mass of howling jacktards. I'm sometimes almost ashamed to consider myself part of the same fanbase as some of the negative screaming hordes that call themselves gamers. I mean yeah the industry is stupid at times, often enough to be annoying. However, I've found that taking the high road and being constructive in criticisms is more effective than straight bashing the industry relentlessly with little positive additions. I don't expect glowing reviews of disappointing games, but I'd like to see less of the "this shit sucks" attitude and more "here's a few reasons why I'm disappointed and here's the ideas I have that could have made it better" attitude. The latter half seems to be drowned out by the former.
Anyway, Capcom dropped the ball with SFxT and the people at Bandai/Namco have every right to put TxSF on hold. I'd rather they focus on making games they want to make and if TxSF does come about, it'll be best served not being rushed.
Well, you have to admit, you don't get nearly as many YouTube clicks for constructive criticism, I mean, I've been on a binge of JonTron, BrutalMoose and the like and their shows wouldn't be nearly as interesting with that approach.

Still, I am kinda sad with how SFxT turned out, the gameplay as solid and the Gem idea was pretty neat on paper, but it got screwed over by the businessmen at Capcom.
Shame really, they make great fighting games when allowed to.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Diablo1099 said:
Well, you have to admit, you don't get nearly as many YouTube clicks for constructive criticism, I mean, I've been on a binge of JonTron, BrutalMoose and the like and their shows wouldn't be nearly as interesting with that approach.

Still, I am kinda sad with how SFxT turned out, the gameplay as solid and the Gem idea was pretty neat on paper, but it got screwed over by the businessmen at Capcom.
Shame really, they make great fighting games when allowed to.
I don't expect YT personalities to alter what works for them, my view is that the general fanbase emulating those personas is at best silly, at worst idiotic. Most people fail at being snarky/witty, and apparently don't realize it. Cynicism and misanthropy IRL (beyond a youtube personality or Yahtzee doing ZP) isn't funny, it just makes people look like assholes and thats what the general public who aren't gamers see us as, when in reality the most vocal people are not representative of the whole, and the personalities are playing roles on their shows for clicks/likes/subs/etc.
I prefer the Extra Credits crew's approach to gaming and criticism, they analyze what works, what doesn't and make suggestions to future developers on how to approach things objectively.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
I don't expect YT personalities to alter what works for them, my view is that the general fanbase emulating those personas is at best silly, at worst idiotic. Most people fail at being snarky/witty, and apparently don't realize it. Cynicism and misanthropy IRL (beyond a youtube personality or Yahtzee doing ZP) isn't funny, it just makes people look like assholes and thats what the general public who aren't gamers see us as, when in reality the most vocal people are not representative of the whole, and the personalities are playing roles on their shows for clicks/likes/subs/etc.
I prefer the Extra Credits crew's approach to gaming and criticism, they analyze what works, what doesn't and make suggestions to future developers on how to approach things objectively.
Hit the nail on the head, Again, the Gem system was a fucking awesome idea, but once they began to use it as a DLC racket, they poisoned the well and ruined it.
I mean, the idea is a good one, being able to adjust your character to make Mirror Matches more interesting is a neat concept, but they didn't use it nearly as well as they could have.

So another reason why people might be waiting for TxSF is to see those kinda mechanics done RIGHT, I know Tekken Revolution had a simlilar system in place that seemed functional for the most part (Least from what I heard, never got the chance to play that game)