Tell Gearbox Why You Hated Duke Nukem Forever

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Tell Gearbox Why You Hated Duke Nukem Forever

Or answer the survey and tell Gearbox not to change a thing about DNF.

It may not be news to you anymore that a lot of people didn't care for Gearbox's revival of Duke Nukem Forever. Almost critics have spoken [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8949-Duke-Nukem-Forever-Review], but now you have a chance to directly tell Gearbox what you didn't like about Duke Nukem Forever.

Gearbox.com is currently running a survey. The opening message states the following:

This is a survey for Duke Nukem Forever. Gearbox prides itself in listening to the community, and this is your chance to tell us how you feel about Duke Nukem Forever. You may participate in this survey if you have played or have not played Duke Nukem Forever. Please answer the following questions.

I'm not sure why the survey doesn't seem to care whether you played the game or not - unless Gearbox is really just assessing the brand at this point. With such widespread disdain for the Duke, I wouldn't be surprised if this survey is a test to see if a sequel is still viable. A game designed from the ground up by the people behind Borderlands or Counter Strike might be good, but the Duke Nukem brand may be damaged beyond repair.

Head over to the Gearbox site and tell them what you think. [http://survey.gearboxsoftware.com/index.php?sid=56594] Keep in mind that the survey will likely only be up for a short time so if you have something to say, you better get on with it.

Also, if you participate in the survey, not only will your responses be read by real live interns at Gearbox, but you'll also be entered into a drawing to win some Duke Nukem swag. So you've got that going for you.

Feb 13, 2008
Surely every answer will be

1) More than two weapons
2) No regenerating health
3) No chest-high walls
4) No Auto-aim
5) More penis drawing.

C'mon: Serious Sam and Saints Row do Duke far better than Gearbox even aspired to.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
I'd be willing to bet that they're assessing the brand as a whole, considering the humor (or lack thereof) and Duke's character was about as well received as the gameplay.

Obviously there's some variance to that, but at least in the reviews I read that seemed to be the case.

EDIT: wait only 5 questions? Maybe I'm wrong..at least I thought that assessing the brand seemed like a good idea.

Feb 13, 2008
Greg Tito said:
but you'll also be entered into a drawing to win some Duke Nukem swag. So you've got that going for you.
Not being picky (well, I am) but "drawing"? Am I missing something here? "Draw" surely? (Though it does say Drawing on the survey as well)

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Greg Tito said:
but you'll also be entered into a drawing to win some Duke Nukem swag. So you've got that going for you.
Not being picky (well, I am) but "drawing"? Am I missing something here? "Draw" surely? (Though it does say Drawing on the survey as well)
Yes, drawing. That's what it's called. So, surely not "draw", at least not on this side of the pond.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
I don't want to do the survey in case I win the Duke swag.
It's a risky proposition to say the least. Unless you have a time machine to the 90's where it'd be acceptable to display such things, winning is losing in this case.

OT: Oh boy a survey! I love having an opinion and subsequently sharing it in the most generic of ways!

Michael Hirst

May 18, 2011
2 weapons, slow as hell movement, regenerating health, horrible colour pallete, clunky movement.

What it should be more like: Serious Sam

What it should be less like: Halo

Don't get me wrong Halo has its own place in the gaming world but shouldn't be infecting Duke Nukem

Mailman

Jan 25, 2010
Being a big DN3D fan, I bet on Duke day one. I lost. Duke Nukem Forever was the first game I ever traded in for in-store credit. The twenty bucks I got for it is going towards Skyrim.

It's not that it was a bad game but there are more interesting games out there. The only emotion I could generate when playing DNF was "Meh,": Dated graphics, not a lot of exploration, driving and turret sections that feel forced, and the two gun limit of the vanilla game. I didn't mind the Ego system since I feel that it fits the character.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
-walks up to the microphone, taps it a few times and clears his throat-

I didn't play it and so I have no opinion on this discussion at all...

-blows a few bubbles from his bubble pipe and walks away-

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Oh, I'm going to fill the shit out of this survey. I tortured myself with this bastard for no discernable reason, this is the only way I can let off some steam now.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
So basically it was just a couple of questions with "on a scale of 10 to shit .... how bad was our game"

Had it been a few months or even a couple of years in development I could have understood.

But 14 fething years and thats the best they could release?

The biggest problem it faced is fans of the original games, who found them great and humorous in the 90's, have since grown up. No longer is "i'm holding a lump of shit ... that is hilarious" going to grace our lips. Duke was amusing 14 years ago ... he hasn't aged well.

Also, platforming in FPS games ... just fuck off.