tell me why you are childfree

Beacon

Dec 21, 2008
I work in gamestop...it's taught me to hate kids...

That and I already think having a puppy is too much responsibility for me....

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
Wounded Melody said:
Plus, there are TONS of child based magazines out there, but how many for those who don't want kids?

Okay, I get it how you'd make a 'child-based' magazine, but how do you make a magazine for people who don't...want kids? What does the magazine talk about? How expensive raising a child is? For how many issues would that last?

Oh, and if we go by the logic that raising a child consumes most of one's free time, then all videogame magazines are partially targeted towards people, who don't have kids, aren't they?

atalanta

Dec 27, 2009
Part of the reason I don't want kids is because I'd be a terrible mother. I'm barely capable of taking care of myself, let alone another person; furthermore, I'm hugely anti-social, short-tempered, and physically incapable of dealing with other people for long periods of time. Another reason is because the idea of a parasitic organism using my body for fuel until it can force its way out is the stuff of nightmares.

xmetatr0nx said:
Um...youre asking a forum filled with kids...
Dunno, even when I was a kid I never wanted one.

Gxas said:
So you're just raising hell for the sake of attention then? I mean, again, I understand that you have rights, but why are you pushing this? Do you really face pressure? Do people really come up to you and your wife and spit on you, kick you, degrade you, all because they see you without a child?
Don't know about you, but my family members and some of my friends have flat-out told me I'm a failure as a woman and less than human because I don't want kids (which is funny; you'd think considering the circumstances of some of my cousins they wouldn't be pushing this quite so hard, but whatever). It's nice being able to ***** about it with other people once in a while.

ender214

Oct 30, 2008
Because they're stress inducing parasites that are expensive as hell to maintain. In spite of this, I'm sure if I find the right girl, I would be willing to start a family with her. Something about leaving a legacy in this world makes it worth wasting a good twenty years of your life supporting some ungrateful brat.

Uncreative

Oct 29, 2009
Because I am fifteen, and do not want to make Dr. Phil money.

I like kids, if I find the right person eventually (And am not of an age that begs me to be featured on Maury), I've nothing against having one.
Other than the poo-splosions. Not looking forward to that.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
atalanta said:
Don't know about you, but my family members and some of my friends have flat-out told me I'm a failure as a woman and less than human because I don't want kids (which is funny; you'd think considering the circumstances of some of my cousins they wouldn't be pushing this quite so hard, but whatever). It's nice being able to ***** about it with other people once in a while.
Well, your family (no offense) has some serious issues.

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand your not wanting to have kids. I don't think any less of you for it. Now, starting a blog telling the benefits of not having kids feels a lot like trying to convert people who do. Sure, your family tries to convert you, yes, and that is terribly wrong of them. But let me ask you this: do two wrongs make a right? No, not at all. By making this blog, the OP is no better than those people who try to tell her to have children.

I understand the need to talk to people who understand you. I really do. I just feel that this blog is way over the point of "understanding" and more into "conversion" territory.

Perhaps I am wrong and just looking too far into it. I just see it as begging for attention.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Wounded Melody said:
Plus, there are TONS of child based magazines out there, but how many for those who don't want kids?
Playboy? GQ? FHM? Those magazines are primarily for single men with no children.

There aren't a whole lot of negative topic magazines out there, anyway.

What do I mean by negative topic magazines? Gee, thanks for asking!

A negative topic is the dislike or abscence of something.

Exs: Guns & Ammo isn't counteracted by something called I Don't Like Guns Weekly.
Car & Driver isn't balanced out by Cars are For Losers Magazine.
Better Homes & Gardens isn't opposed by The Screw Martha Stewart Review

Any magazine that based all its content on disdain for a particular topic would be lame. In fact, anything focused solely on opposition of something else will have difficulty developing an identity for itself. Case in point: The modern Republican Party in the US.

As for pressures on people who choose not to have children: I think that people who are dealing with the pressures of raising children would probably laugh in your face for complaining about that. I guess I'll find out in about 6 weeks. First child is due then. It's a boy.

Greeboz

Nov 9, 2009
I will absolutely 100% have children in my future. I've always been extremely satisfied by creating something I'm proud of. If I can do that with a child my life would be complete.

However I'm only 18 so i'll wait a bit.

atalanta

Dec 27, 2009
Gxas said:
atalanta said:
Well, your family (no offense) has some serious issues.

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand your not wanting to have kids. I don't think any less of you for it. Now, starting a blog telling the benefits of not having kids feels a lot like trying to convert people who do. Sure, your family tries to convert you, yes, and that is terribly wrong of them. But let me ask you this: do two wrongs make a right? No, not at all. By making this blog, the OP is no better than those people who try to tell her to have children.

I understand the need to talk to people who understand you. I really do. I just feel that this blog is way over the point of "understanding" and more into "conversion" territory.

Perhaps I am wrong and just looking too far into it. I just see it as begging for attention.
None taken. I love my family and all, but sometimes they really need to learn to shut their stupid mouths.

That being said, I think the mindset that childfree is either a phase or some kind of deficiency is more common than you think, albeit not usually expressed quite so bluntly :V F'rexample, my gynecologist won't even discuss the possibility of getting me sterilised because she's completely convinced I'll see the light and decide to sprog further down the line. Even people who don't come out and tell me I'm an amoral slut who deserves to die alone tend to give me the fisheye when they find out I really and truly don't want kids, or they'll condescendingly assure me that I'll come to my senses eventually.

That aside: yeah, I think you're reading too much into it. There are other blogs I read that will put up posts like, "top ten reasons why PC gaming is rad!" or "why dating while feminist is super great!" -- the blogs are written by gamers/feminists for gamers/feminists, and it's a place people can share their experiences and talk to like-minded individuals.

Furthermore, even if the blog really is getting its conversion on, why is that really a problem? There are lots of blogs on the internet that are trying to convince you to believe one way or the other; would you be as concerned if this were a blog about why you should have lots of kids, or why you should save the whales?

[small]Sorry if this is totally incoherent, I'm kind of drunk right now.[/small]

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
Once I feel ready. Around 30 would be the optimum time for me. But as of yet, I don't know where I want to go in life. If I end up moving to Japan, I'd love for my kid to be able to speak two languages.

Is it weird that I'm deeply obsessed with Japan but don't watch any Anime or read Manga?

Devi Darkside

Sep 3, 2009
Well I'm dating a guy currently and I doubt that'll help things.
That and the whole sex change plan means that unless I can find a woman who wants to carry my baby I'll end up adopting at one point.

So short answer: it's complicated and doesn't have a place yet in my crazy life.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
Because i use protection. And im definately not old enough to be having a kid.

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
Wounded Melody said:
I noticed that a lot of people here don't plan on having kids (from my other post). I'm looking for submissions for reasons *why* you don't want kids for my blog: http://childfreeisawesome.blogspot.com/
You can list them here, or email me, I really appreciate it!
As was said already most people here are below 25, and so almost all answers just answer why people dont want children now. Maybe you should ask to people on their 30's who have a more defined idea of what they want for the rest of their life.

I would love to have a child, probably adopted. A girl. Let's see what the future reserves to us.

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
I'm childfree because I don't believe in adding to the population issues - and besides, why bear children when there are so many orphans and abused children who need a loving home? Not only that, but I know I'd make a terrible mother. Some people just shouldn't have children, and I am one of them. I'd rather have my own life than take care of someone else's, and parents need to be selfless most (if not all) of the time where their kids are involved.

Steeveeo

Sep 2, 2008
I'm not sure if I WANT kids or not, but one look at my XFire profile's recorded hours [http://www.xfire.com/profile/steeveeo/] in Garrysmod says I just may never HAVE kids.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Well for me it's because I'm 17, and I do not plan on actually having children at all. Although if I do ever have kids I'd at least want to be a semi-responsible adult first.

Gxas said:
I understand you have your rights and all, but a blog against children? Really?

Here, let me tell you why I do want kids:

I would like to be partially responsible for the human race to continue. If everyone went child free, bye bye us!
I really do not see the point to this argument. Unless some sort of mass sterilization occurs I highly, highly doubt that there is anything that would cause anything close to the majority of humans to go child free. Along with the fact that alot of people who have kids have enough that it makes up for the number of people who don't, so you really have nothing to worry about.