Tell me your GOTY!

OriginalJoeBlack

Jun 20, 2010
Yo Dog(s)!

So i just looked out the window of my cave and saw snow, which means that the new year is coming faster than my paycheck. We all know that either Black Ops or Reach will sweep all the damn GOTY awards because the average game journalist is a little sellout whore, so i want to know your Game of the Year 2010.

Personally, this year was so damn...damn...bleak if you understand what i mean. Most of the game we're a stream of mediocrity. So my game of the year iiiiiis....

Just Cause 2 gave me more fun than any other game i played this year, i did like how the game didn't take itself so seriously, i have some complaints which i wont list there, but again: stealing a fighting jet from a base, flying it next to a AIRBUS-like plane, jumping onto your jet, and playing a guitar solo before dodging 5 missiles and jumping onto the big plane which you steal and fly it into the nearest hookers bum is a gameplay experience which waiting behind a bit of wall for blood to fall off my head Call of Duty cant hope to match.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Vanquish or Bayonetta.

Action games at their purest. Just you, a bunch of enemies, and your own skill. And a threadbare narrative just there to set it all up and show you cool shit.

I played Vanquish at least 4 times in a row, though. Bayonetta was on-again, off-again over the course of a few weeks.

So, I guess Vanquish.

I'm sick of the hearing people on the Escapist keep going on and on about narrative and immersion. You can keep your Mass Effect 2s and your Red Dead Redemptions and your New Vegases. The inevitable favorites of this topic.

Give me more crazy shit!

Although New Vegas has it's share of crazy shit (Animal Husbandry Farm, anyone?)...It's core gunplay and leveling systems are severely flawed and lacking.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
I think I'm going with Nier, to be honest.

It's the only game that I keep coming back to this year, so I'd say it goes to that.

Kabutos

Oct 21, 2008
Probably Civ 5 or Starcraft II.

Fallout: New Vegas was pretty fun as well.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
I honestly couldn't pick. War for Cybertron, Black Ops, Medal of Honor, Shattered Dimensions, Dante's Inferno, Mafia II, Bad Company 2...

't was a good year.

OriginalJoeBlack

Jun 20, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
I'm sick of the hearing people on the Escapist keep going on and one about narrative and immersion. You can keep your Mass Effect 2s and your Red Dead Redemptions and your New Vegases. The inevitable favorites of this topic.

Give me more crazy shit!
Heh, indeed. A good narrative and immersion can help for a better experience, but remember the old times of Duke 3D when the story did go " Aliens do invade the Earth, they steal our chicks, here are some guns, go save the chicks....and the Earth." And it still was mindless fun without needing such things as more dialogue than gameplay * looks at Mass Effect*

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I haven't played a couple of the games I want to yet, suc as Fable III. But with DKCR comming in a close second, I say Fallout New Vegas. I liked the atmosphere alot more and I enjoyed the whole thing waaaaaaaaaaaay more than 3. So NV is my GOTY.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Mass Effect 2. AKA "that game made by people who can actually write".

It kicked the competition in the head and left it for dead in a ditch.

Amnesia: Dark Descent was a close second.

OriginalJoeBlack

Jun 20, 2010
Just_A_Glitch said:
Gotta give it to Alan Wake. I've never been more immersed in a game before. I love it to death.
Off-topic:
I was thinking about picking it up, but it does cost 42.99EU here. Think it is worth the money? I can't honestly decide.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Mass Effect 2!

It was absolutely fantastic! It was so fun, emotional and awesome.

ME2 for GOTY!

Totaltruth

Apr 18, 2009
Starcraft 2 if only for the fact that it will still be around in 10 years unlike any others...
Not to mention how amazing it is.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
Mass Effect 2 for me, by a wide margin!

Not come back to a single other game like I have that one (released this year)

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
After about 40 hours of New Vegas, I went back to Fallout 3. I've not played nearly as much Mass Effect 2 as I have the first. Same with Dead Rising 2. Fable 3 disappointed me to the point of near-depression. So, in a vote that surprised even me, I have to say Persona 3 Portable. Go PSP!

Mr. GameBrain

Aug 10, 2009
Dead Rising 2.

Because killing zombies is fun! :D

(would prefer killing with my best friend, but he unfortunately used his money to buy Fable 3... figures...)