Telltale's Game of Throne episode 6 discussion with Spoilers.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I just finished Telltale's last episode of this season on my PS3 with a feeling of...unease.

This episode took a long while to come out and a few things bothered me with the whole season. A lot of "important" choices were revealed to be not that much important. The last episode was a buggy mess that would make Fallout proud.

So far, Ironrath was just burned to the ground with my choices and Asher is probably dying or will come back alive during next season. The whole section was covered in audio clips missing, texture issues and times where the game froze. So far, I might play again to see if Rodrik being alive would change things by a large margin. The story was good, but I feel like the issues ruined the experience for me.

Mira is getting married to a fucking asshole. I imagine there will be a time that I can stick a knife in his brain at some point. I'm very disappointed in this particular section of the story. Mira Forrester was in the middle of King's landing's political game. In episode 5, she was pretty much the highlight. Here, she's essentially stuck to two situations. It's a bit disappointing that some important choices in previous episodes had barely any impact or was never mentioned. I'm wondering if making some decisions can at least give her some windows so her story can evolve into something...greater, but I'm disappointed.

So far, Gared's story is the one where I'm wondering where it will go. His story feels more like a cliffhanger that can lead to greater things. Problem is, it's just that. I've made two choices that contradict each other in hindsight, but I won't see the conclusion of it all until Telltale gives us a go for another season.

So anyhow, what happened in your GOT story?

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Honestly..Im just disappointed in how rail roaded the whole thing turned out to be, truly nothing I ever did mattered and I have to wait 2 friggin years more or less, to find out what happens next. I hate it when a series finished on a cliffhanger, usually telltale games at least had the courtesy of wrapping up their season 1.

What happened in my GoT story?
Well I went back to episode 4 and replayed the bit where as Roderick you try to negotiate with Ludd, backed up by the Glenmores.

And I made it so everyone died >:) Oh sure I got a game over screen and no epilogue for my troubles, but got the best outcome and my one decision here ends up mattering:
-Everyone dies on the forrester side there ends up dieing 2 episodes later anyways (assuming you sacrifice roderick for asher) so no real difference...Except you take out Ludd early and leave only Griff in charge, who is much easier to deal with...
-...as Asher. First of all there would be no immediate ambush as soon as Asher arrives because Ludd, the brains and will behind the Whitehills, is dead. So Asher makes it back to Ironwrath along with all dozen (!) of his pitfighter "army".
-From there all Asher has to do is continue as normal, and initiate an attack on the Whitehill camp, killing Griff in the process. Et voila, the entire leadership of the Whitehills is dead, changing the situation dramatically.
-By the terms decreed by Lord Ramsay, backed by the will of the Boltons, the Iron Throne, and the Baratheons, the Forresters have now won. At a bloody cost, but no different and probably less then if you'd have played the game the way it wanted you to play.
This is the best outcome possible imo.

Also I still fail to understand what's so important about the North Grove besides that it'll probably be the last source of ironwood left on westeros once the whitehills are done depleting all the ironwood south of the wall.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Yah! I finished the game before this thread fell into Necro territory! Take THAT society!

I'm quite disappointed in this game. I don't regret buying it (especially since I bought it during the Winter Sale so it was half off) but it is easily the worst Telltale game I've played and I've played all of them (The modern ones that is).

I think that splitting the arcs into three primary characters was a huge mistake. All Telltale games have the same type of story-telling railroading but I don't mind because I care about Lee/Clementine/Bigsby/Rhys but in this game, you didn't get to spend enough time with anyone to really care all that much about them. It also doesn't help that because established characters are in the game, it affects my decisions. For example, when I had my knife to Ramsey Bolton's throat, I choose not to attack him because I knew that he couldn't be killed.

Sure, I felt bad when Asher sacrificed himself in my game and Mira got her head lopped off and Mommy Forrester got run through with a sword but I never felt the soul crush of the other games. Killing Duncan for his betrayal wasn't a tough decision because I had no real care for him. I just didn't have any care for any of these people.

Although funny enough, a lot of the decisions I made were in the minority. I think part of that is the established universe (I watch the show so I know you have to be coldblooded to survive) and part because I still don't really care for these people so I was willing to gamble with their lives a lot more than I was probably supposed to...

For reference as well; Ryon survived, Rodrick...probably survived? Besthka survived. Sentinel not Duncan (I don't remember his name) survived. Your sister what'shername survived.

Ronald Nand

Jan 6, 2013
Like many others I was disappointing that Ironwrath falls into the hands of the Whitehills in the end no matter what you did, when I first finished I thought I made a bunch a poor decisions of failed the QTE fight with the Whitehill henchmen, but alas there is no
'good' ending where you can hold Ironwrath.

I wasn't expecting a super happy ending or anything, but I wanted to atleast hold Ironwrath with the Forresters in a precarious position regarding the Crown and the Boltons. We spent 5 episodes getting beaten down

It would be really cool if this story was self contained within one season, good decisions throughout the Season would result in the ending I described above or something, and bad decisions would result in the ending we got. Getting the good ending should obviously be hard with most players missing out on the first go if they weren't smart or savvy enough, how awesome would it be playing the game again, using your knowledge of how things play in the episodes to get that satisfying ending. As it stands I don't really want to play again and endure all the grovelling and suffering just to get the same outcome.

I remember feeling so satisfied cornering Gryff with the Glenmore Soldiers, beating him down and blinding his left eye after all the crap he gave you in those previous episodes, how satisfying would it be getting to overcome and win after 5 episodes of the Forrester family being shit on.

Although I should mention I did enjoy the game overall, it did get me invested in the characters and had some fun and satisfying moments throughout. I just wished they could've given us a better ending over sequel hooking.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
I got the nuclear ending. Mira lost her head. Ironwrath was lost. Asher was knockin on Heaven's door. But I protected the North Grove so that is a victory right? I mean aside from the fact I am gonna need people to ship the ironwood from there through white walker and wildling territory back to Ironwrath which I don't know has fallen (cuz the cell service sucks). So you mean to tell me that if I had called off the ambush when I had the chance and played nicely it wouldn't have mattered?

Madkipz

Apr 25, 2009
Well. I got really pissed because Asher's whole sellsword, snarky but awesome persona suddenly vanished as he was forced into the role of his brother, and it's such a blatant palette swap that shows how this whole you can chooce which brother thing was a pointless stunt as the final episode doesn't change anything. Rodric was meant to survive, and Asher is just playing the standin. The pit fighters Asher brings with him hardly come up and keep dying pointlessly across the entire storyline, and truthfully. Is it just me or do the pitfighters all seem to suck? Really all that they were good for was to put some fancy faces next to Asher that died in his place.

I ended up using Poison and sacrificing my mom because any other way doesn't end with ludd dead no matter what. I married that scheming lordling because at least then Mira continues to live, and all I sacrificed was the damn coal boy. Who gives a shit about that guy? Not me, and Asher got stabbed by fucking Gwen. Seriously where did the guy that dodged around everyone all day long while swinging his dick around go?

I said it in the telltale forums and I'll say it here too. The whole thing sucks, and the only thing the foresters are good at is dying whenever their plot armor vanishes. Seriously. What the fuck mom. Why can't we just give Ludd what he wants? I'll marry Gwen, and our pit-fighters can ambush Ludd on the road back home. At least then he'd have told his big army to fuck off, we'd have a better hostage, and still keep Whitehills out of our bloody keep.

Also screw blood magic. Seriously. That's some fucked up stuff nobody wants to mess with, and the north grove is just a silly forest with magic powers. I fucked off right away. Why defend a forest from the dead when you can go back home and save the living?

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
tippy2k2 said:
I think that splitting the arcs into three primary characters was a huge mistake. All Telltale games have the same type of story-telling railroading but I don't mind because I care about Lee/Clementine/Bigsby/Rhys but in this game, you didn't get to spend enough time with anyone to really care all that much about them. It also doesn't help that because established characters are in the game, it affects my decisions. For example, when I had my knife to Ramsey Bolton's throat, I choose not to attack him because I knew that he couldn't be killed.
I wasn't against the idea of having multiple protagonists, as it seemed to be an interesting way to convey the different themes of the series, but I agree that there were issues with intermarrying the different plot lines and giving them time to develop.

Mira's was especially frustrating, because depending on whether or not you forge that letter she doesn't really have any impact on the rest of the conflict at all. And regardless of how well you cover your tracks you're forced into a corner to potentially die without a trial. I ended up going to the chopping block and now I'm considering reloading just in hopes of giving her character the chance to accomplish something later on.

It also doesn't help that because established characters are in the game, it affects my decisions. For example, when I had my knife to Ramsey Bolton's throat, I choose not to attack him because I knew that he couldn't be killed.
That frustrated me from the start. I know they want to capitalize on the interest in the HBO series, but I hated having a reoccurring villain I knew I could never touch. And bringing Jon Snow in just to disapprove of my self defense added bugger all.

Even things like being friendly with Tyrion at the start were suspect to me. I mean, I as the audience like Tyrion, but Mira has no reason to reveal to a Lannister that she was just telling the Queen what she wanted to hear.