Telltale's Latest Game of Thrones Teaser is Icy

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Telltale's Latest Game of Thrones Teaser is Icy

What could Telltale be hinting at with "Iron From Ice" for Game of Thrones?

Telltale Games, known for its The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us series just shared a teaser image for its upcoming video game series for Game of Thrones [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/game%20of%20thrones] by George R.R. Martin.

Telltale includes a short description from Martin's A Game of Thrones, the first book in the epic fantasy series.

"...A wood of stubborn sentinel trees armored in grey-green needles, of mighty oaks, of ironwoods as old as the realm itself."

This follows a teaser during PAX Prime [https://twitter.com/telltalegames/status/505369369493245953] which read, "...trackers and hunters sworn to deepwood with clan names like Forrester and Woods, Branch and Bole." This passage is from Martin's A Dance With Dragons.

Last year Telltale confirmed it is working on another a multi-year, multi-title deal working with the Game of Thrones IP. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130330-Telltale-Games-Developing-Episodic-Game-of-Thrones]

The Escapist has contacted Telltale Games for comment.

Source: Telltale Games [https://twitter.com/telltalegames/status/520234757083254784]

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I really want to play a political intrigue game, and telltale is perfect for this. The closest I've seen is Long Live the Queen. There, make Long Live the Queen telltale, just better.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Want, want, want, WANT, WANT, WANT!

Sorry, I've been slaying Lannisters in my dreams for a while now. I'd love to face them on the battlefield after dealing with chapters and chapters of their lies.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Fox12 said:
I really want to play a political intrigue game, and telltale is perfect for this. The closest I've seen is Long Live the Queen. There, make Long Live the Queen telltale, just better.
Crusader Kings II.

Even without it's Game of Thrones mod (which is quite professional by the way), it's basically Game of Thrones, with all of it's political marriages, usurpers, legitimized bastards, succession laws, child murder, hunting accidents, depraved dwarfs, eunuch spymasters, plotting vassals, and incestous affairs.

Fireprufe15

Nov 10, 2011
Redlin5 said:

Sorry, I've been slaying Lannisters in my dreams for a while now. I'd love to face them on the battlefield after dealing with chapters and chapters of their lies.
inb4 you actually play as a Lannister :)

MrDumpkins

Sep 20, 2010
Fireprufe15 said:
Redlin5 said:

inb4 you actually play as a Lannister :)
You play as Joffrey, he's a king, that should be fun.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
I'm really looking forward to this game as well as 'Tales from the Borderlands', even though I'm not much of a fan of Borderlands as it stands. It'll bide me over until 'The Walking Dead S3' anyway ;P

I can't remember where I read this from, but I'll keep my eye open for a source:

I read somewhere that TellTale were aiming for 'Game of Thrones' to be an emotional equivalence to TWD. It's apart of their plan to get more hands-on with popular franchises, where they are able to tap into the depth of lore and backstories to carve out their own compelling storylines.

Game of Thrones is meant to be emotional and dramatic like TWD, and 'Tales from the Borderlands' is meant to go back a bit to TellTale's roots of light-hearted story games.

I find the fact that both games are targeted for a 2014 release as interesting, especially since the clock is ticking - but then again TTG are known for knocking out a trailer from nowhere at the beginning of the week, and then releasing the game/episode by the end of that same week. 'The Walking Dead S2' and 'The Wolf Among Us' worked out really well for pacing too with one releasing an episode in between the other's release schedule, so I have no concern with overlap particularly if they're completely polar-opposite in their engagements with the player.

I look forward to the contrast of each game, and I can't wait to see what TellTale do with GoT.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Judging by this teaser and the last one, I have come to one conclusion: You will be playing as a tree.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
I hope your can take multiple routes through the story and have things change more than extremely minor trivial stuff.

I mean, The Walking Dead game by Telltale is very good and I highly suggest you play it if you even have a passing interest in Zombie games and/or the Walking dead.. But the effect you have on events is far less than advertised.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
More tree-related teases. OK, calling it now: the PC has the greensight.

#IronFromIce could mean so many things: Ironborn, Night's Watch/Wildlings (I think it's this one as the reveal teaser had a raven/crow motif, the recent teasers had a northerner feel to them, and it would be the easiest to do without messing with the canon), something to do with The Long Night and the Others, or maybe just the Stark greatsword Ice.

Darn it Martin! Why did you have to make a world that can spin out cryptic sayings so easily!?

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Redlin5 said:

You might find this to be of interest then - http://www.moddb.com/mods/crusader-kings-2-a-game-of-thrones-ck2agot

Basically, a total conversion GoT mod for Crusader Kings 2.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Laggyteabag said:
Judging by this teaser and the last one, I have come to one conclusion: You will be playing as a tree.
But I don't want to be Bran Stark!

OT

As someone who greatly enjoyed Telltale's Walking Dead games and recently got into A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones, I am seriously looking forward to this. I imagine it will make me weep tears of bitter hatred rather than genuine sadness, as an interesting change from the company's games.