Temporarily deaf, recommend me anything with subtitles, anime or whatever.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Weird topic I know because I can watch anything with subtitles, but is there anything in particular that strikes out to people? Something where maybe the sound or acting doesn't need to be that great but the story is pretty good?

Dismal purple

Oct 28, 2010
Watch foreign stuff where you won't understand the language anyway. The Seventh Seal is good for references and doesn't have a lot of sound effects.

Use the excuse to read books though. Patrick Modiano won last year's Nobel Prize and a lot of his books are short and easily digestible. There are a lot of classics like Mice and Men that are also short.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Dismal purple said:
Watch foreign stuff where you won't understand the language anyway. The Seventh Seal is good for references and doesn't have a lot of sound effects.

Use the excuse to read books though. Patrick Modiano won last year's Nobel Prize and a lot of his books are short and easily digestible. There are a lot of classics like Mice and Men that are also short.
I like all this stuff except for The Seventh Seal. I watched it as a teenager and it just bored me. But maybe you'll enjoy it more, ProtoChimp.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Definitely anime. If youre new to it then i reckon Noragami or Kekkai Sensen will serve as good starting points.

Ogoid

Nov 5, 2009
If you're at all into cop shows, I'd suggest the first season of Forbrydelsen (the original Danish The Killing). It's some of the best damn television I've ever watched, hands down.

Les Revenants ("The Returned" in English, as Wikipedia informs me) is also a fantastic show, if horror/mystery is more your speed.

Dismal purple

Oct 28, 2010
Queen Michael said:
Dismal purple said:

I like all this stuff except for The Seventh Seal. I watched it as a teenager and it just bored me. But maybe you'll enjoy it more, ProtoChimp.
Try watching it as an adult. Ingmar Bergman is all about extistentialism that is easily relatable. It's almost simplistic.

Nubrain

Sep 17, 2010
Hunter X Hunter would be a good place to start or maybe Mushi-shi the music is good in both but not the main thing you'd watch it for. both are on crunchyroll

Assassination classroom is a good mix of comedy and action and is over on funimation and hulu and if you want something that's a bit more talky there's always spice and wolf. funi has that too.

There's always Sailor Moon over on Hulu and the viz site though I don't know off the top of my head which is somehow better and worse than I remember it being.

also if you need something to laugh there's One Punch man though that's still airing or Chi's sweet home which is basically anime cat videos in that it follows a kitten doing cat things. If you've ever owned a cat you could probably watch it without subtitles at all and still figure out what's going on.

oh and because I never use them any ways, Here's a 48 crunchyroll pass. SVBBYEL99KP check it all out and see what you like

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Angels Egg is phenomenal, and as it has almost no dialogue or music, now is the perfect time to watch it.

There's also a wonderful new medium that's told entirely in subtitles. I think they call them "books" : P

Seriously, though, maybe pick up Game of Thrones, Watchmen, or Berserk. You don't need hearing too enjoy those.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Watch your favourite movies and series with subtitles on. It's hilarious/frustrating how bad they can be.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
If were you I'd not bother with any films or TV shows until you got your hearing back for music and sound effects. You'll miss them more than you think. Although, you could try watching a few documentaries.

Theminimanx

Positively Insane
Mar 14, 2011
Read a book ;-P. Or some comics. Scott Pilgrim versus the world is pretty great.

If you desperately want something that would normally have sound, you could give Bakemonogatari a try. It's almost entirely dialogue.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
YOU SHOULD TRY WATCHING SILENT MOVIES, ESPECIALLY CHARLIE CHAPLIN ONES! CITY LIGHTS, MODERN TIMES, AND THE GREAT DICTATOR ARE MY PERSONAL FAVORITES!! (THOUGH THE LAST ONE USED SOUND A BIT)

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Theminimanx said:
Read a book ;-P. Or some comics. Scott Pilgrim versus the world is pretty great.
The comic's just called "Scott Pilgrim." Unless you're referring to the second volume specifically.

Dismal purple said:
Queen Michael said:
Dismal purple said:

Try watching it as an adult. Ingmar Bergman is all about extistentialism that is easily relatable. It's almost simplistic.
Maybe. I definitely won't forget about it at least. On Sweden's new bills, there's a picture of Bergman talking to Max von Sydow as Death on-set.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
I haven't really thought much on "What shows/movies are good without volume" so I find it difficult to recommend anything at the moment. I think I'd personally miss the sound effects, music and voices (even if they were foreign).

Like others have said, I'd use this time to try and get into reading (if you aren't already). For books, my own recommendations would be;

Game of Thrones (will certainly fill your time)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy
Dustlands trilogy

You could alternatively try manga instead? Lack of volume would have an equally null effect there.

sky pies

Oct 24, 2015
Those big ambitious movies that just show endless images of an amazing earth with no dialogue. I forget the names but if you google the first sentence of this post you should be good.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
DrownedAmmet said:
YOU SHOULD TRY WATCHING SILENT MOVIES, ESPECIALLY CHARLIE CHAPLIN ONES! CITY LIGHTS, MODERN TIMES, AND THE GREAT DICTATOR ARE MY PERSONAL FAVORITES!! (THOUGH THE LAST ONE USED SOUND A BIT)
Seconded, with added recommendation of pretty much anything by Buster Keaton. In particular, Sherlock, Jr. (1925), The General (1926) and Steamboat Bill, Jr. (1928).

Also, Fritz Lang's Metropolis (1927).

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
If you like animal movies, try 'Tarka the Otter' and the later movie 'The Bear'.
Both are almost dialogue free and both are live action stories.

Another movie free of dialogue, also by the same director of 'The Bear', is 'Quest for Fire'.
This movie follows a small tribe of cavemen in a pre or proto language existence attempting to...
Well, the title contains a spoiler.