Ten Movies That Will Never Be

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Ten Movies That Will Never Be

Sadly, realism and originality often get in the way of movie making.

Read Full Article

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
If I just put "Brofist" Ill get modded, so instead Im gonna say that was bloody hilarious.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
A couple of those sound kinda boring (The Asian, The Gay), but for the most part, those sound like premises for cool movies. I can totally see The Misunderstood Scientist working out, with the protagonist struggling to keep his research afloat, battling bad publicity, fear-mongering media and such, only to be vindicated by the fruits of his labor in the finale.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
"An angry, directionless young man rebels against the stifling conformity of his comfortable upper-middle-class suburban existence by aligning himself with an anarchic/underground art/music/sport culture that includes acts of petty public nuisance. He is arrested and sent to prison where - in a shocking twist - he meets many people who've faced actual hardships and lived truly dangerous lives, which shames him into realizing how lucky his spoiled, entitled ass has been the whole time."
Minus the go to prison part that's almost the plot of SLC Punk.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
Jandau said:
A couple of those sound kinda boring (The Asian, The Gay), but for the most part, those sound like premises for cool movies. I can totally see The Misunderstood Scientist working out, with the protagonist struggling to keep his research afloat, battling bad publicity, fear-mongering media and such, only to be vindicated by the fruits of his labor in the finale.
I pretty much agree with that.

I'd definitely go see the last one - only if it didn't have Jackie Chan in it though.

Redem

Dec 21, 2009
"A portrait of a young gay man making his way through his life and career in the early 21st Century. In a shocking twist, he is not employed in the fashion or music industry, has a best friend who is not a high-strung narcissistic young woman who regards him as a "girlfriend," has a healthy relationship with his parents, and has many, many conversations involving topics other than body issues, workout regimens, trendy foods, clothes shopping and other things that heterosexual movie writers assume are all that gay people talk about."
While it would be set in the 20th century,I'd love to see a movie about Alan Turing , although it would probably be pretty depressing

"A poor citizen of a small, war-torn nation rises up to fight against the forces of chaos in the region; hoping to bring some semblance of order for his family, friends and country. He does this without seeking or receiving help from a visiting American hero - in fact, there are no Americans are involved on either side, nor does anyone mention Americans or offer up any strong opinions "for" or "against" America ... it is possible that this is due to America not being the center of everyone's universe."
I think that's ennemy at the gate (not exactly the greatest movie, but still)

"An idealistic campaign staffer for a popular Presidential candidate has their idealism shaken to the core when it is discovered that the candidate, while still a sincere proponent of all the causes and policies that led the staffer to join the campaign in the first place, has committed various moral indiscretions that violate the staffer's personal code of right and wrong. After a dark period of deep, introspective soul searching ... the staffer decides to continue supporting the candidate anyway - because this is the real world where a leader's 'niceness' or 'good intentions' don't mean jack squat if they're going to support wrongheaded policies."
Primary colours

Darmani

Apr 26, 2010
Actually the sad thing about the Asian... a movie that would have been about crazy mathematics got WHITE WASHED (21) and another about martial arts too (Last Airbender). Looks like we.. ya know might have to actually give them BACK the stereotypical roles and expand from there.

As for the gay man thing... eh bob there are dozens of gay male coming of age dramas by and for gay men or the general public. They just aren't marketed as big sellers (most of the time). Less of the best pet gay friend though that's awesome.

I am pretty sure the political one got made it was called Edit: ninja'ed and it was Primary Colors.

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
Yea I have to agree with some of these comments here. A good portion of these won't get made, not because it's "above" Hollywood. But because it's frighteningly boring.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
"A man of spiritually devout persuasion is critically injured in a terrible car accident. Though he is brought to the hospital in time for doctors to save his life, his injuries are such that he is actually 'dead' for several minutes on the operating table, during which time he experiences ... nothing. No tunnel, no light, no angles, no dead pals, nothing. In a shocking twist, his newfound sense that the life he has is quite definitely all there is does not turn him into a bitter nihilist, but rather spurs him to become an infinitely better, freer and happier person who's determined to make the most of whatever time he has."

I'd so watch this movie.

Chefodeath

Dec 31, 2009
God that was pretentious. You aren't being creative Bob, you're just taking the same tired stereotypes and adding "AN UNEXPECTED TWIST" to them. Frankly I wouldn't want to see them made because I'm sure Hollywood would just make them as boring and plastic as the standard UNTWISTED stereotypes.

The Admiral

Jul 23, 2008
The first one would be considered a "black" movie and be disregarded by half your potential audience. Second one lacks conflict. Idea number 3 is just you venting and doesn't deserve being addressed. Number four sounds like Oscar bait. I could see that one getting made. If you use Jandau's description for idea 5, it might fly. It just sounds like a better pitch the way he said it. Idea 6: I like the message but just ending up with the status quo in the end is a little anti-climactic. Idea 7: Again just you ranting about Asian actors not getting less stereotyped roles. Idea 8: I can see it getting made and I can see it bombing at the box office. Idea 9: Will probably win at some film festivals. That last one seemed a little ethnocentric.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Could we combine these movies:

"A portrait of a young gay man making his way through his life and career in the early 21st Century. In a shocking twist, he is not employed in the fashion or music industry, has a best friend who is not a high-strung narcissistic young woman who regards him as a "girlfriend," has a healthy relationship with his parents, and has many, many conversations involving topics other than body issues, workout regimens, trendy foods, clothes shopping and other things that heterosexual movie writers assume are all that gay people talk about."

"Portrait of a man (or woman) of Asian descent living and working in the early 21st century. They have a series of escapades leading to sundry moments of personal growth ... none of which involve high-level computer hacking, superhuman mathematics skills, mastery of the martial arts or stereotypically strict, tradition bound parents. Also, his/her skills at speaking English are flawless, naturalistic and do not involved inexplicable lapses into heavily accented hip-hop slang."

"When crooked thieves steal an ancient religious artifact from a primitive rural village, their greatest warrior must travel for the first time to the strange and unfamiliar world of The Big City to retrieve it. He fights many, many elaborate battles and succeeds in locating and defeating the sinister thieves, but ultimately does not bring back The Artifact. Instead, he discovers that in 'The Big City' people do not die constantly from common germs and minor injuries as they do in his primitive rural village on account of having access to modern medicine, health-standards and communication. He then sells the damn artifact at a huge profit so as to bring life saving medicine, superior farming equipment, food and a phone/internet connection to his people."

Gay and Asian; martial arts student looking for place in the world does so by pleasing his home village by going to big city to recover stolen sacred artefact.

Ends up convincing elder to sell the artefact to museum to set up a business in London (America not centre of the world) selling tourist holidays, and lives happily ever after with their same sex partner.

(PS: I have a sneaking suspicion this film may already have been made)

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
Hey guys, I think I get it. Maybe these aren't actual movie pitches but are some form of social commentary.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
it is possible that this is due to America not being the center of everyone's universe."
Finally sombody gets it god damn am I tired of trying to point this out just to have it fly over peoples heads. Once again movie bob you hit the nail on the head.

DocBalance

Nov 9, 2009
Yeah...most of those sound boring as hell. Good, inspirational stories? Realistic stories? Yeah, sure. But nobody wants to read or write realism. Real-life, as you yourself have stated many, many times, sucks. If you want real life, you can get it for free by, you know, living. We go to the movies for the stuff that we can't get in real-life, whether it is true or not. No matter how much you want to "stick it to" whatever group of people or stereo-typers is pissing you off this week, or thumb your nose at people who want to fulfill their own strange fantasies through the medium of film, you have to realize that you are basically being them by doing this, you just think you have some sort of moral or intellectual high ground. So do they. It's called being human, Bob.

Guilherme Zoldan

Jun 20, 2011
So basicaly he wants holywood to make movies that agree with his ideals and not the ones the popular ones.
I kid, I get that he is more making a criticism on the recurring cliches and ideals that Holywood comforms to then actualy trying to pitch film ideas.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
There's a very good reason why none of those pitches should ever be made into movies: because if they're successful someone will try and immediately turn around and make cash-in sequel ;)

Angnor

Nov 11, 2010
Redem said:
"A poor citizen of a small, war-torn nation rises up to fight against the forces of chaos in the region; hoping to bring some semblance of order for his family, friends and country. He does this without seeking or receiving help from a visiting American hero - in fact, there are no Americans are involved on either side, nor does anyone mention Americans or offer up any strong opinions "for" or "against" America ... it is possible that this is due to America not being the center of everyone's universe."
I think that's ennemy at the gate (not exactly the greatest movie, but still)
I was thinking 'Defiance' myself as an example.