Ten Myths About Serious Games

Ben Sawyer

Oct 29, 2007
Ten Myths About Serious Games

"The term 'serious' isn't a grammatical modifier related to a serious game's content. For instance, 'Catch the Sperm,' created for the Swiss AIDS Federation, is a public service advergame. This game, which takes place inside a vagina and features gameplay where you shoot condoms at oncoming viruses and sperm, is definitely funny, but the message is serious. Silly game, serious purpose."

Ben Sawyer, the co-founder of the Serious Games Initiative, debunks ten myths about serious games.

Bongo Bill

Jul 13, 2006
Nice to see some facts set straight. One myth I'd encountered is that serious games are always about advocating an opinion (frequently in the most shamefully propagandistic manner possible).

xMacx

Nov 24, 2007
This would probably benefit from an introductory paragraph explaining the author's position on what a serious game is before diving into a laundry list of what serious games are not. Especially given the relatively broad classification of game titles as serious games. I found myself reading the article and thinking, "wait, how is he defining serious games?"

I'm guessing the author could at least cite his taxonomy of serious games for interested readers as a place to start.

http://www.dmill.com/presentations/serious-games-taxonomy-2008.pdf

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
I always thought the series of Total War was a serious game, lol. This article confused me, is Total War 'NOT' a serious game?

lol

Unknower

Jun 4, 2008
Bretty said:
I always thought the series of Total War was a serious game, lol. This article confused me, is Total War 'NOT' a serious game?

lol
You can do fun stuff in those games. Including some pretty weird stuff too. Like in Medieval, you could have a prince marrying his sister or you could order two assassins to assassinate eachother. In Rome, you had ninjas and flaming pigs.

Also, there's jokes and such in in-game texts.

Blayze

Dec 19, 2007
I liked it when you clicked on enemy units and ships, and they insulted you.

"BEGONE! YOU ARE NOT MY LIEGE!"