TENET - The Movie to Save All Films

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Christopher Nolan's hyped up, high concept, time twisting action thriller is finally hitting the screens on 26th of August in Europe. Disney chickened out and pushed Mulan beyond reason to be instantly ripped to torrent sites and whatnot, and so Tenet is our post-corona forerunner before No Time to Die and Wonder Woman and the rest.

Yeah, it's the old trailer everyone has seen. There are two newer ones. I'll be heading to see it Wednesday afternoon, unmasked* and bringing my own snacks. A movie 150 minutes long isn't a good date movie and I have no friends so I'll be going alone. Itching to watch a new blockbuster in the cinema? Is it still better for you to stay home? Unreasonable reactionary dislike for Christopher Nolan? You could've come up with a longer palindrome like THENONEHT?

Alternate titles for the thread: One Movie to Save Theaters, The Film to Save Movieland, Biggest Film to Half-Fill the Seats, No LAN But Still Off Line, Tenet: I Think We Should See Other People.

*there is no endemic spread of COVID-19 in my area as of writing this

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Might rent it from Netflix DVD in ten months. Never been a big Nolan fan.

I watch older movies every day, so it wouldn't bother me too much if everybody kept postponing their releases for years.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Yeah, probably gonna go see it. I missed going to the theater. I don't exactly like Nolan movies a lot, but what the hell else am I gonna do?

Reactions: gorfias

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
All want is to know how they do the funny time loop stuff. What is it? Macguffins? Magic? Aliens? Technology? Cyberwizard mind tricks?? Genetically modified brain slugs able to swim the viscous waters of block-time living a symbiotic relationship with humans to unleash their full frightening potential but also unintentionally tearing apart the fabric of local time and space??? Reveal yourself, evasively coy plottenings.

Martintox

Mister Disorder
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
I'm not yet sure if I'll go to the theater for it, but I'll definitely check it out as soon as it's convenient for me. With the track record he's had, Nolan's one of the few active directors from whom I'd go watch a movie on name recognition alone.

Reactions: MrCalavera

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
While I was excited for the movie, I'll just have to wait for DVD or blu-ray. I'm not risking my life to go out in theaters right now for a movie. I got too many relatives with medical conditions and I'm not putting them at risk for that. I wish the best of luck to Nolan, but I would not mind if it went to HBO Max digital.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
While I was excited for the movie, I'll just have to wait for DVD or blu-ray.
Unbelievable that Nolan's newest movies are still being released on DVD. Then again, a ton of the movies you see at Walmart are DVD and people don't wanna accept that movies should cost more than five dollars. It's really too bad. There are so many TV shows, movies and music video collections I want on Blu-ray that will forever be stuck in 480i.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Unbelievable that Nolan's newest movies are still being released on DVD. Then again, a ton of the movies you see at Walmart are DVD and people don't wanna accept that movies should cost more than five dollars. It's really too bad. There are so many TV shows, movies and music video collections I want on Blu-ray that will forever be stuck in 480i.
That's life dude. There are certain blu-rays where they do over charge (the anime industry is guilty of this the most), so I don't blame people for just buying the regular DVD edition if they do not care about bonus features. Hell, bonus features have been now stripped from regular DVDs most of the time and if you want those, you have to at least buy the Blu-ray or 4K versions of those movies now. I usually prefer movies where you get the Blu-ray and DVD. I usually just wait for a sale, if I'm not in a rush to buy the movie.

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I wonder if this one'll annoyingly change aspect ratio every couple of minutes because of Nolan's obsession with IMAX.

Anyway, Nolan movies bore the piss out of me. The only good one is Memento.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I wonder if this one'll annoyingly change aspect ratio every couple of minutes because of Nolan's obsession with IMAX.

His problem isn't filming in IMAX, it's filming the other scenes in scope. There are flat taller aspect ratios he could use that wouldn't be as jarring.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

The only Nolan movies ever liked are his Batman stuff. I did not like inception. That movie went on for way too long and relied way too much on exposition. Stop explaining stuff and let the audience figure it out. Evil Within 1 and 2 are better inception material, than inception. Those games at least let the player figure it out. I know Nolan was inspired by Dark City, but Dark City is still the better movie.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Based on the reviews, seems like the movie might have gotten a little too much hype. But hey, I'll watch it for the trippy visuals. I don't watch movies to stimulate my mind.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Wonder Woman will bomb, remember this
Nolan has a fandom, not a general appeal, so it won't not be the savior of cinema

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Nolan has a fandom, not a general appeal, so it won't not be the savior of cinema
Not sure what will be happening with b/o over all. Wonder Woman has the bones of a succesful movie. Better than Captain Marvel anyway.

Why do you write Nolan has no general appeal? I thought Interstellar meh but it made pretty good bank. About quadrupled its budget.

I have to think these guys get tired. Adored Cameron. Now he's planning nothing but sequels to Avatar well into the future. Ready Player One I enjoyed, but was not a must see movie like the OG Jurassic Park. So, is it Nolan's time to no longer be the guy that gave us Memento, Dark Knight and the Prestige? We'll see.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Not sure what will be happening with b/o over all. Wonder Woman has the bones of a succesful movie. Better than Captain Marvel anyway.

Why do you write Nolan has no general appeal? I thought Interstellar meh but it made pretty good bank. About quadrupled its budget.

I have to think these guys get tired. Adored Cameron. Now he's planning nothing but sequels to Avatar well into the future. Ready Player One I enjoyed, but was not a must see movie like the OG Jurassic Park. So, is it Nolan's time to no longer be the guy that gave us Memento, Dark Knight and the Prestige? We'll see.
It's hard to keep on winning. Lots of pressure, sometimes you do a big miss. His stuff isn't major popcorn flicks, it doesn't have the same broad appeal. If anything it's the star power, not his director credentials, that pull _most_ people to his movies. He has a medium fandom but that's it. AT least, that's like my opinion, man. I like his stuff, but I think most people aren't very interested in him, or at all.

Reactions: gorfias

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Theaters aren't opening any time soon around my neck of the woods so it's hard to care. I'm more excited for The Batman just because maybe they'll be open by 2021.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I recall everyone saying that about the first one. $800million+ later and somehow we’re back to the same doom chanting bullshit.

WW84 will do fine if it gets into cinemas. Maybe not as well as it may have before the global living standard was turned on it’s head but it was a fairly anticipated sequel to a well received movie.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I recall everyone saying that about the first one. $800million+ later and somehow we’re back to the same doom chanting bullshit.

WW84 will do fine if it gets into cinemas. Maybe not as well as it may have before the global living standard was turned on it’s head but it was a fairly anticipated sequel to a well received movie.
Frankly every time I see a trailer, and I see her literally jungle leaping from lightning bolt to lightning bolt, the Scion lover in me just grins from ear to ear. That level of mythic insanity is the kind of thing I enjoy. Why yes, she is indeed the daughter of a god, famously known for telling the laws of physics to just go fuck off for a while. And yes she is indeed lassoing lightning from her father to traverse a battle field (i assume) to go insanely over the top on some bad guys.

Why yes, that is indeed something I want to see.

I honestly don't give a shit about the trophy wife turned super villain turned maybe lesbian lover at a later point, as that part just doesn't really grab my interest. Not that I don't enjoy me some lesbian love stories, far from it. Just, the way it's framed in the trailer I'm just sort of "meh", we can already see where it's going to go, so it's on par with the BvS fight shit that we all know will end with them not killing each other, and reconciling in the end.

But a story about a literal demigod, whipping out godlike powers in a modern setting to battle in epic, god of war level conflicts? Yep, I'm in it for that for sure.

Still won't go see it in the theaters, because fuck the plague, thank you very much.

Oh yeah, OT: Same goes for Tenet. Looks neat, not risking plague for it. But then I don't go see many films in the theater, even pre-covid. So not really much of a change.