Term "blind playthrough" offensive, removed from Twitch

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

You have to be kidding me right? Is this a poorly timed April fools joke?

Using the term Blind playthrough is ablest, and is incredible harmful to those who suffer from a real disability (probably blindness), though how this could offend anyone as a tag on twitch is crazy to me because the people to be that could possibly be offended (by any stretch) can't see the tag anyway (HA zing).

“‘Blind playthrough’ or ‘going in blind’ can easily be replaced by saying ‘No spoilers playthrough’ or ‘Undiscovered’ or ‘first’ (if it is your first). A blind playthrough would be to turn your monitor off, and that’s not what most mean,”

Things like "going in blind" are terms that are more than just related to video games. It applied to any activity of job you are about to attempt without any prior knowledge of know-how to complete said task. It's been part of the slang phrases people have used forever. Are we really getting offended about anything and everything these days? Where do we draw the line? Because I was under the impression that censoring speech was a bad thing. I mean racist terms, fine, probably don't use those in a public setting...but terms and things like this are rather innocuous. This is trying too hard to nit pick language at this point right?

“Just as we used to say ‘gay’ when something was bad, using disability terms as an alternate word for a negative situation or feeling is common in today’s language. But just as we stopped saying gay to mean bad, we can stop saying these words too. Think about the words you choose.”

Well "gay" also used to mean happy, remember "have a gay ol' time?" from the Flintstones. "Fag's" are still cigarettes in the UK I believe, or at least they definitely used to be. These terms have been manipulated into negative connotations and we've reasonably moved on from using them in that context....mostly.

When has blind ever been used as a hateful label upon anyone or anything. So the censoring of it is simply nonsense.

From the Dictionary, here are other uses of the word.

Blind - adjective lacking perception, awareness, or discernment.
verb deprive (someone) of understanding, judgment, or perception.
noun a screen for a window, especially one on a roller or made of slats.

Are so going to rename our window screens now?

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
As a fairly left leaning person who tries to be accepting of everyone and see that words can hurt people, I have to say that this political correctness goes too far sometimes. Radio 1 decided that it was going to play a censored version of The Pogues "Fairy Tale of New York" because of the use of the word "******". They decided that it might cause upset to some of their young listeners. Thankfully other radio stations are using common sense and playing the uncensored version of the song.

So, when I play poker, am I not allowed to use the term "blinds"?

Also, yes, cigarettes are still know as "fags" in the UK.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

You have to be kidding me right? Is this a poorly timed April fools joke?

Using the term Blind playthrough is ablest, and is incredible harmful to those who suffer from a real disability (probably blindness), though how this could offend anyone as a tag on twitch is crazy to me because the people to be that could possibly be offended (by any stretch) can't see the tag anyway (HA zing).

“‘Blind playthrough’ or ‘going in blind’ can easily be replaced by saying ‘No spoilers playthrough’ or ‘Undiscovered’ or ‘first’ (if it is your first). A blind playthrough would be to turn your monitor off, and that’s not what most mean,”

Things like "going in blind" are terms that are more than just related to video games. It applied to any activity of job you are about to attempt without any prior knowledge of know-how to complete said task. It's been part of the slang phrases people have used forever. Are we really getting offended about anything and everything these days? Where do we draw the line? Because I was under the impression that censoring speech was a bad thing. I mean racist terms, fine, probably don't use those in a public setting...but terms and things like this are rather innocuous. This is trying too hard to nit pick language at this point right?

“Just as we used to say ‘gay’ when something was bad, using disability terms as an alternate word for a negative situation or feeling is common in today’s language. But just as we stopped saying gay to mean bad, we can stop saying these words too. Think about the words you choose.”

Well "gay" also used to mean happy, remember "have a gay ol' time?" from the Flintstones. "Fag's" are still cigarettes in the UK I believe, or at least they definitely used to be. These terms have been manipulated into negative connotations and we've reasonably moved on from using them in that context....mostly.

When has blind ever been used as a hateful label upon anyone or anything. So the censoring of it is simply nonsense.

From the Dictionary, here are other uses of the word.

Blind - adjective lacking perception, awareness, or discernment.
verb deprive (someone) of understanding, judgment, or perception.
noun a screen for a window, especially one on a roller or made of slats.

Are so going to rename our window screens now?
Your use of the word 'kidding' is offensive to teens and children cause it implies they can't be taken seriously. Your use of 'poorly' is offensive to the dispossessed. Twitch's name is offensive to people with Parkinson's. 'Stetch' is offensive to large body types that can't do that. 'Nit pick' is offensive because people use it to insult those pointing out all these "horribly offensive terms".

Am I doing it right?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's official. To paraphrase and quote Kreese Kreely "They're turning society in to a bunch of pussies". Jesus Twitch, you ain't offending blind nor visual impaired people. They do not care! Quit being "offended" for people that are not offended nor asked for your idiocy. If they start banning the phrase "first time playthrough" too, I am fucking done with them. It's a good thing I only watch two people on Twitch. I do feel bad for Seraphim17 as a lot of his Twitch stuff has blind playthrough in his tags.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I agree, this has to be a joke or something, it's even worse than a caricature. I'd expect that in an onion article.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I agree, this has to be a joke or something, it's even worse than a caricature. I'd expect that in an onion article.
Yeah, It's pretty much this:

I found that quote I mentioned too.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
It's official. To paraphrase and quote Kreese Kreely "They're turning society in to a bunch of pussies". Jesus Twitch, you ain't offending blind nor visual impaired people. They do not care! Quit being "offended" for people that are not offended nor asked for your idiocy. If they start banning the phrase "first time playthrough" too, I am fucking done with them. It's a good thing I only watch two people on Twitch. I do feel bad for Seraphim17 as a lot of his Twitch stuff has blind playthrough in his tags.
"First time playthrough" is offensive to virgins, incels, and the sexually restricted. We need to be more inclusive to our socially inept. Please instead use the term "fresh playthrough" as this conveys the same message without triggering neckbeards.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I mean, I can sort of understand it from the perspective of it being an official tag, and someone with impaired sight constantly being confronted by that when they go on Twitch. And I mean, you can still put in 'blind playthrough' in the title of your stream, it's just the official tag that got removed, right? Or are they actually banning the word 'blind' from the site entirely? Because that would be insane.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I'd like to know if the visually impaired genuinely care about this and spoke up against the term. Pretty random for some corporate shitbags to get all woke for no profitable reason.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
I'd like to know if the visually impaired genuinely care about this and spoke up against the term. Pretty random for some corporate shitbags to get all woke for no profitable reason.
This is what happens when you hire people whose jobs are "to promote diversity and inclusion", they sit around all day thinking of things to justify their own employment.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I just hope you all know you're all being abelist and elitists about this. Posting ON A WEBSITE? That not only requires an internet connection, it requires a device to post from, fingers that work and the ability to see and read.
You should all say 10 apologies to everyone who isn't capable of posting on this website.

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

XsjadoBlayde

~Social Anxiety Catalysed Free-Market Alienation~
Apr 29, 2020
Pity they won't remove the "hype train" invasive money collection shite getting in the way of chat. As a person who is unable to feel hype or willing to pay for long train journeys, I find the term nothing but pure mockery which they profit off. But as they do profit from it, the condescending sleaze will no doubt stay. Oh and forced ads too. They're just plain offensive all round.

Last edited:

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I mean, I can sort of understand it from the perspective of it being an official tag, and someone with impaired sight constantly being confronted by that when they go on Twitch. And I mean, you can still put in 'blind playthrough' in the title of your stream, it's just the official tag that got removed, right? Or are they actually banning the word 'blind' from the site entirely? Because that would be insane.
Thing is. This isn't even like the word "rape" or something, where people are worried about reminding someone of something bad. Blind people don't just suddenly forget they're blind, it's something that is always on. This isn't even an insult or anything, "blind playthrough" is using the word blind purely for "has not seen". There's no stereotyping, nothing derogatory about it. This is knights without a dragon to slay.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Why is it offensive to blind people that people call their playthroughs that, they can't see it.

I tend to say I go in super blind to indicate that I don't even watch promotional footage or read stuff about a game that people tend to be supposed to know going in. Am I offending blind superheros when I say this? Do I need to apologize to Daredevil?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Thing is. This isn't even like the word "rape" or something, where people are worried about reminding someone of something bad. Blind people don't just suddenly forget they're blind, it's something that is always on. This isn't even an insult or anything, "blind playthrough" is using the word blind purely for "has not seen". There's no stereotyping, nothing derogatory about it. This is knights without a dragon to slay.
Yeah, it feels a bit like jumping to conclusions, but like I said, you can still use the words 'blind playthrough' on Twitch in the stream's title, right? It's just the tag that got removed. In which case it's just Twitch as a corperation wanting to be bit overly courteous, which I don't know is worth it having too big of a cow over. I hardly ever really notice the tags on Twitch to be honest.

Reactions: Zeke davis

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I tend to say I go in super blind to indicate that I don't even watch promotional footage or read stuff about a game that people tend to be supposed to know going in. Am I offending blind superheros when I say this? Do I need to apologize to Daredevil?
I swear if "people" (corporate dicks using diversity as nothing more to a means to an end, Neo soccer moms, and "sjws") start getting offended at characters like Toph and Matt Murdock, I am going to kick the shit out of them. South Park made point about this with characters like Timmy and Jimmy 20 years ago. Some people don't want to learn or get it just feel better about themselves, superior, or oblivious self absorbing douchebags.