Terminator Genisys - Not the Worst Terminator Movie

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Terminator Genisys - Not the Worst Terminator Movie

Terminator Genisys sees the franchise rebooted, at least partially. It's a successful reboot, at least partially.

Read Full Article

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
The T1000 animations from Terminator 2 look amazing even nowadays (The one where he passes through the bars is still one of my favorite SFX/VFX bits) and it looks like they kept a similar feel to these ones. I'm wondering whether they will use the physical props that they did for the original T1000 or whether it's pure CGI this time...

Ehhhh... Screw it I'm a sucker for emotionless Arnold so I think I will be giving this a look. Ta for the review!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ok I am torn. Originally I wanted to see mainly for the future battle (while I get the budget was somewhat limited when it come to the future fight in the last two films but I always wanted to see a proper fight) but I read a few bad reviews so I decided not to watched it. Now reading this, I'm back to wanting to watching it now!

EDIT- Ok I have seen it now. It's not as bad as I expect it to be. In saying so I thought it was too happy at the end cos that you know who should of stayed dead (I get why that character can stayed alived but still). It look like there will be a sequel so that character is still needed.

I say it's better than Terminator 3 as I find the whole timeline being alter justify for all the many changes that happened at the start (which timeline send the T-100 back to killed Conner?) unlike 3 (how can it still happaned after T2?).

minkus_draconus

Sep 8, 2011
My wife and I enjoyed it a lot, it was fun, fast and had it's tongue just planted firmly enough in it's cheek. To quote my comment on the article it's like a Terminator movie set the the Dr. Who universe (not just because of Spoiler being Spoiler).

The alternate timelines want to do things like in the originals but things have changed so the core elements are there but everything about the situations has changed.

Lots of stuff related to T1 and T2.

I think if it had less humor and was all grim-dark it would have been nowhere near as fun and enjoyable.

A pox on the head of the people who decided to spoil the film in the commercials. The trailers I saw had kept it hidden but I unfortunately watch a number of videos on the internet where the worst spoilers seem to have been.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
.. And I was looking forward to seeing it. Guess it goes to show why they spoiled so much of the movie in their trailers no?
They obviously had no faith in their movie, so why not hype us up by throwing 80% of the spoilers into the trailer to get us talking about the movie? Personally it would of been more exciting if they limited the spoilers but whatever their loss.
Do you mean how
The T-1000 is supposed to be John Connor? I really REALLY don't want that to be true, so it's my current theory that it's actually Skynet itself, downloaded into a T-1000-like body, and taking on John's appearance and mannerisms just to screw with Sarah and Kyle, because it's a dick.

minkus_draconus

Sep 8, 2011
Darth_Payn said:
Caramel Frappe said:
.. And I was looking forward to seeing it. Guess it goes to show why they spoiled so much of the movie in their trailers no?
They obviously had no faith in their movie, so why not hype us up by throwing 80% of the spoilers into the trailer to get us talking about the movie? Personally it would of been more exciting if they limited the spoilers but whatever their loss.
Do you mean how
The T-1000 is supposed to be John Connor? I really REALLY don't want that to be true, so it's my current theory that it's actually Skynet itself, downloaded into a T-1000-like body, and taking on John's appearance and mannerisms just to screw with Sarah and Kyle, because it's a dick.
Not quite but you are almost close in some ways.
Spoiler is not a T-1000, something else.

My problems with things in this film are nitpicks and didn't keep me from enjoying it. Things I like greatly outnumber things that bugged me.

For starters the loss of mass due to having bits blown off and nano-machine reconstruction should mean a massive amount of heat generated (IMO) and also the repaired entity have less and less to work with (we don't see it absorbing more mass anywhere). Unlike a T-1000 which they take pains to show re-absorbing bits of itself. I think they had a "cool" idea for the next level of terminator but didn't have it's mechanics down as well as they did for the 800 and 1000 so it feels less well integrated into the world of the story.

I can go on with things I liked and disliked if we want to have a talk about those things.

Captcha: More Chocolate ... Captcha is right there was a lack of diversity in the main cast, though we did have the Asian T-1000.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
Does anyone watch or will watch the new Terminator movie because of the plot? Terminator has got to be the most plot hole riddled movie series ever. The big appeal of Terminator is the special effects and action scenes. If I'm in the mood to see a silly blockbuster movie, I'll check it out. For the most part, it's a skip.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
so not an entire waste of time. i give it a try anyway. if its really not as bad as the previous 2 movies, why not. seeing arni is mostly hilarious.

gact

May 26, 2014
Scarim Coral said:
Ok I am torn. Originally I wanted to see mainly for the future battle (while I get the budget was somewhat limited when it come to the future fight in the last two films but I always wanted to see a proper fight) but I read a few bad reviews so I decided not to watched it. Now reading this, I'm back to wanting to watching it now!
It's a really fun movie if you are expecting lots of fast moving action, it only had 1 tiny plot hole at the end that could've been explained easily but its nothing bothersome, I guess they didn't try to explain it due to time constrains, and the relationship between Arnold and Sarah (Emilia) makes up for the kinda forced relationship between Sarah (Emilia) and Kyle(Jai).

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Although I'm a firm believer they should have quit making these movies after 2, I'm actually kind of intrigued now, might be worth a viewing.

I swear though: Hollywood seems really, really determined to make Jai Courtney into the next big action star, and I can't understand why. There's literally nothing special about him except that he's in good shape, but you can't throw a rock in LA without hitting some guy in equally good shape who can probably act just as well.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I've come back from seeing it. Overall, I enjoyed it. Currently my preference goes T2>T1>T5>T4>T3.

I thought the actors did a good job, and while not as dark as the first two films, it didn't feel too sanitized. Most importantly, it felt like its own thing. While it does mimic earlier films, even uplifiting entire scenes from T1, it felt more like homage, rather than aping ala T3. I also thought the design and abilities of (spoiler) was great, and actually felt like a genuine and natural addition to Terminator technology.

Is it a necessary film for the franchise? No. Does it have the horror/grittiness of T1, or the intelligence/cinematography/dread of T2? No. But it's definately an enjoyable movie IMO.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
They misspelled Genesis.

That's the only reason I need to hate it >=(

minkus_draconus

Sep 8, 2011
Fox12 said:
They misspelled Genesis.

I just assumed it was to prevent brand confusion with Sega in the film universe;-)
Clearly they must have won the console wars due to the messed up timeline.
Film was named after the fictional software in the film.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
minkus_draconus said:
Fox12 said:
They misspelled Genesis.

I just assumed it was to prevent brand confusion with Sega in the film universe;-)
3 billion human lives ended on August 23, 1991. The survivours of the console wars lived only to face a new terror...the 64 bit era.

(Or 32 bit, meh.)

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
vallorn said:
The T1000 animations from Terminator 2 look amazing even nowadays (The one where he passes through the bars is still one of my favorite SFX/VFX bits) and it looks like they kept a similar feel to these ones. I'm wondering whether they will use the physical props that they did for the original T1000 or whether it's pure CGI this time...

Ehhhh... Screw it I'm a sucker for emotionless Arnold so I think I will be giving this a look. Ta for the review!
He is terrific. Maybe why I adore Terminator 3. That movie, IMHO, is radically under-rated. In many ways, far superior to 2.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Gorfias said:
vallorn said:

He is terrific. Maybe why I adore Terminator 3. That movie, IMHO, is radically under-rated. In many ways, far superior to 2.
Care to elaborate? I'm a huge fan of 2 and think the third was just alright I guess. But you have my curiosity.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
I'm still gonna see it for my birthday anyway. I have seen the other 4 in theaters too so might as well keep the steak alive.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Hawki said:
minkus_draconus said:
Fox12 said:
They misspelled Genesis.

3 billion human lives ended on August 23, 1991. The survivours of the console wars lived only to face a new terror...the 64 bit era.

(Or 32 bit, meh.)
I laughed way, way too hard at this.

Scarim Coral said:
If you're wanting to watch just for the future (post-Judgment Day) battles, you'll be disappointed. There's only like one of those, and it's short.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
You realize by saying this you are going to get quoted non-stop, yes? :)

I just got back from seeing it. Like you, I was really looking forward to the future war. That is the Terminator movie that I really want to see. Just two hours of that. Purple laser guns everywhere. And this movie has it, at least a little. It has it way more than Terminator 3 did anyway. You get to see the attack where they go for the time machine. Not a spoiler, since you know it has to happen. What you do see is pretty good. Not as good as T2, but it's still nice.
Problem is, it's a bit on the short side. I think the actual run time is about 10, maybe 15 minutes--the same as T2--but it doesn't have the same action feel as the first two movies. It's still fun to watch, but you'll probably be left wanting more. What really hurts is that while this is going down, you're told that a much bigger battle is going on elsewhere, and I really wanted to see that.

Anyway, ignore the bad reviews. I had fun with it. It's a good summer blockbuster movie. Get some popcorn, remember that this is a Terminator movie, and enjoy the ride. The call back scenes at the beginning, plus the little references scattered through the whole movie, will make it worth your time. It is miles above Salvation, and in my opinion is even way better than Terminator 3. They're right about the forced love story being painful, but the rest of the movie I think more than makes up for it. Go see it and enjoy it for what it is.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
chozo_hybrid said:
Gorfias said:
I adore Terminator 3. That movie, IMHO, is radically under-rated. In many ways, far superior to 2.
Care to elaborate? I'm a huge fan of 2 and think the third was just alright I guess. But you have my curiosity.
I love 2 as well, particularly the first face off of the 2 terminators. Funny, my boy has trouble relating to most movies pre-2000 but when seeing this, responded, "wow! That was almost like nowadays!". I'm thinking, "kid, 1992 wasn't that long ago!" But 3?

In no particular order:

Kristanna Loken is hot! And there was something more credible about her robot form than the T1000 (which seems more like magic than a robot.) I can buy that you have a basic robot chassis with liquid metal outside shaping what it the it chooses to look like.

I had a lot more fun watching Nick Stahl as young John Connor than Edward Furlong, who was also quite interesting. Stahl was just more so. The consequences of what he has learned in his life has had a huge effect upon the man he has become.

Claire Danes was compelling as Kate Brewster and her interactions with John were amusing and the reveal of whose orders Arnie is following an eye opener.

T3 had an edge missing in T2. T2, they're out to save humanity. They almost put a smiley face happy ending on it but that, at least, was too much for the test audiences (some DVD/Blue ray releases show you the alternate ending). As it was, it felt much more action movie and less sci-fi. T3 you see the actual birth of the war, with base model terminators engaged in murder. They aren't trying to save the world from the war. It's a forgone conclussion. It's coming. At best, the heroes are scrambling to maintain a future in which humanity has a fighting chance.

The first 1984 Terminator was fun, nice mind blow in the idea that John Connor was fathered by someone from the future, but it has messed up EVERYTHING in the Terminator continuity. It really, ultimately, doesn't work. You just have to kind of accept it and enjoy the ride. I hope to see T5 this weekend.