Terminator Reboot Coming in June 2015

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Terminator Reboot Coming in June 2015

Arnold Schwarzenegger will "be back" as everyone's favorite cyborg assassin in a new series of films.

Fans of the Terminator movies are in for some news. The franchise, which arguably hit a low point with the somewhat mediocre <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-escapist-presents/744-MovieBob-Reviews-Terminator-Salvation>Terminator: Salvation, will be getting a full-fledged reboot that should release in June 2015. The reboot which has apparently been in the works for some time now is being handled by a slew of Hollywood veterans, including Laeta Kalorgridis(Avatar, Shutter Island) and Patrick Lussier (Drive Angry), who are currently on deck to work on the screenplay. It will also be produced, in part, by David Ellison whose recent work includes World War Z, Star Trek: Into Darkness, G.I. Retaliation and Mission: Impossible- Ghost Protocol.

Perhaps the biggest bit of news to come from this, however, is that Arnold Schwarzenegger will be returning as the titular Terminator. While that might seem a bit odd to some considering that Schwarzenegger will be closing in on age seventy by the time the movie releases, it's not all that surprising. Schwarzenegger had previously <a href=http://www.starpulse.com/news/Kevin_Blair/2013/06/16/ill_be_back_arnold_schwarzenegger_retu>confirmed he would be returning for Terminator 5. That in mind it makes sense that he'd stick with the franchise now that the sequel's becoming a reboot. Granted, he's probably not going to be as scary as he was in 1984, but you never know. If he can pull off a <a href=http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/174339-arnold-schwarzenegger-talks-returning-as-conan>new Conan film after thirty years, maybe he can still be a murderous robot too.

All of this, of course, preface's the question of "do we need a new Terminator franchise?" Personally, the fan in me just wishes they'd stopped in 1991 when Terminator 2: Judgement Day left things arguably perfect. That said, if they're going to do anything, a reboot would probably be better than more sequels.

Source: <a href=http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/paramount-sets-terminator-relaunch-for-june-26-2015/#more-531446>Deadline

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
"Do we need a new Terminator franchise?"
Not even slightly. I'm at a loss to see what they could do differently. I've not really liked the whole "reboot" thing, and am at a loss to think of ones that have been worthwhile.

I'm also still sore about the fate of T:TSCC ...

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
StewShearer said:
All of this, of course, preface's the question of "do we need a new Terminator franchise?"
The answer to which is:

Does anyone think they'll be able to do it as well as the original? I'm guessing that'll garner a similar answer.

StewShearer said:
That said, if they're going to do anything, a reboot would probably be better than more sequels.
Which is like saying that a nipple twist is better than a swift kick in the testicles!

EDIT: inb4 "Why is this being posted on a gaming website?! Arghblargl.. *foam* *foam*

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
9thRequiem said:
"Do we need a new Terminator franchise?"
Not even slightly. I'm at a loss to see what they could do differently. I've not really liked the whole "reboot" thing, and am at a loss to think of ones that have been worthwhile.

I'm also still sore about the fate of T:TSCC ...
Yeah... this whole thing does strike as a "Money! Beautiful Money! MWA HA HA!" kind of announcement. Then again, that's all the sequels were so that's not surprising.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Why are we still tolerating this rubbish!? Isn't there enough people sick of these uncreative stupid reboots? Gaaahhhhhh!

Also I prefer that they make sequels, at least it has a chance to be more interesting than the original. Though that won't happen because most of the writing these days is typed up by a thousand trained chimps.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
While i am glad that Arnold Schwarzeneggar is in it, it still feels like just another money grab.

Do agree on the reboot is better than a sequel part though.

But man, why can't they just bring back T:TSCC, shame it ended after the 2nd season.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Nope, sorry. As far as my optimism is concerned, I'd have at least a little faith if Arnie still had it, but he doesn't. He's a codgery old man spouting one liners with no where near the conviction or heart he did before.

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
I'll watch it if they decide to take the piss and let Arni play the Terminator reimagined as a mopey, dreary emo teanager and cast Angela Lansbury as some sexed up love interest character. That would at least be something.

Otherwise: Never really cared for Terminator, don't really care for the reboot.

At least Moviebob might appreciate.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Oh yeah baby, scrape that barrel bottom for me, scrape it!

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Even though I have seen Terminator 3 and Terminator Salvation I don't consider them to be part of the Terminator continuity. I only consider Terminator 1 and Terminator 2+the alternate ending to be canon.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
What's the point of rebooting it? I'm glad that we get to see Arnold in another action film, but I would actually prefer something entirely new. It would be very weird to have the entire thing reimagined with an entirely different cast except for Arnold.

Preacher zer0

Jun 13, 2010
Reboot movies that suck!

Terminator still holds up perfectly well today.

Funny how they only seem to reboot beloved movies that they know will get cash based on the name.

Stop rebooting good movies ffs, like Robocop and the Crow.

THESE MOVIES DO NOT NEED A REBOOT.

Hollywood vampires, sucking the blood out of the past because they are creatively bankrupt.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
there is no need for a dam reboot. They will not be able to make a better film then T1 & T2 they should just spare themselves the embarrassment.

hexFrank202

Mar 21, 2010
I think Arnold is WAY scarier now than he ever was. Have you seen what he looks like? It looks like his face is getting sucked into his eye sockets!

The writers are gonna have to be really smart with explaining why a military of calculated perfection would make their killer machines look and act like a lonely old lesbian.

...what if instead of Arnold being another Terminator, he plays the guy that the Terminators were modeled after? I know T3 had a deleted scene where he did this, and I didn't watch the end of Salvation so I don't know if they did something like that there either.

But either way, that could be interesting, right? You could have a scene where he pretends to be a Terminator to fool people for a certain objective, then slowly build up fear in the viewer that he may actually just BE a Terminator after all, ext.

Edit: Oh yeah, reboot... right. Um, yeah that's pretty lame. For some reason, the word reboot didn't stand out that much to me. I guess that's because, in the Terminator franchise, a sequel and a reboot don't necessarily have to be different from one another...

A Terminator movie could take place at a different time period, and follow the story of a completely different cast of characters... and it could be taken either as a completely new story, or a new perspective on the same story. So I've not completely slumped into head-shaking just yet.

I mean all that "reboot" is necessarily referring to is the act of getting a franchise back on its feet and 'kicking' it back into action with a new coat of paint or any parts that you don't like replaced. They could just be saying that they're going to start a new timeline of events separate from the John Connor arc (thank crap)... or yeah they could just be getting ready to cast a new John and Sarah Connor and rewrite the first two movies (oh crap).

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Wait...what?

So, 70 year old Arnie is going to be the rebooted Terminator?

Um...what? How is this anything like a good idea?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I think Peter Griffin's thoughts on the matter would be the closest to my own. Unfortunately, Christian Bale doesn't seem to happy about out opinion...

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
That time displacement device just can't get a fucking rest can it.

I'm assuming Arnie is going to do this mo-caped, right? I mean, Skynet would have to be in a dire state if it's producing killer cyborgs that look like saggy 70-year old body builders.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
It does worry me that all the films named in the article as previous projects are overwhelmingly average. I don't really think the world needs a new Terminator movie, the appeal was always being chased by something without emotions that would never stop, and the first two films pretty much have that down and still hold up to this day (although I do want to punch John Connor in the face every time I watch T2). Still, it could be good if they were clever about it, there's lots of new technology that people are shitting themselves over that can be worked in as subtext. I'd be surprised if it's anything above average though.