Terraria Goes to Consoles, PC Gamers Go Nuts

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
It seems like half my comments nowadays are just pointing out how unprofessional this site's news articles are. Seriously, why make this comment?
Because most of the "news" articles on this site, anymore, are designed to flame-bait and stir up hateful arguing.

Most of the time, the only non-inflammatory news posts I see come from a "once-in-a-while" contributor.

Pardon me, but it's a fucking shame. I joined this site in 2007, and it was nothing like that back then. It was a place for well-mannered, level-headed gamers could go to talk about their passion for gaming.

What the hell happened?

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Waaghpowa said:
Entitled said:
Waaghpowa said:
I should also point out that I believe Andy is being facetious about PC gamers being inherently insecure, but I suspect that might go over peoples heads and conclusions will be jumped.
We already have a term for people who are intentionally trying to trick their audience into being angry for their own amusement, and it's still not an excuse, this is not something that we should expect from journalists.
I know it's not an excuse, but I still didn't interpret it as a serious comment. People's rage from such comments is easily predictable.
They might be, but they are also RIGHT.

I'm not a fan of the "don't feed the trolls" theory. You can't fight ignorance by ignoring it, and you can't combat those who treat the Internet as their LULZground, by not taking them seriously.

If someone acts offensively, fucking call them out on it. We need more people taking comment sections seriously, not taking them less seriously.

Composer

Aug 3, 2009
This is one of the worst written articles I've ever seen. I've read sophomore essays better then this.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
ThaBenMan said:
Vigormortis said:
Andrewtheeviscerator said:
dangoball said:
ThaBenMan said:
Generalizations. Aren't they grand?
Hey, I never said ALL PC gamers are a certain way - I was just complaining about the ones going crazy over this, which there clearly are some of. And there are console gamers that do the same, I won't deny. I suppose I shouldn't have used the term "PC Elitism", though.
Fair enough.

It's just, around here PC gamers are almost unanimously generalized as elitist, whiny assholes simply because a few among us act childishly.

Worse, when someone does insult PC gamers in that way, like Andy Chalk did in the article, most people respond with agreement.

Yet, if I even hinted that I thought all console gamers were hormone-crazed, racist 12 year-olds I'd be berated into oblivion for being too judgmental and for "generalizing".

So I guess when someone starts making comments about PC elitism I just naturally assume they're referring to all PC gamers.

My apologies.

thespyisdead

Jan 25, 2010
Tiamat666 said:
Terraria doesn't need more content. You can already play it to the death.

What they could do is start working on a sequel that expands the gameplay elements.
one of the devs of terraria (Tiy) started another studio, and is now working on Starbound, a spiritual sequel to terraria, which actually looks good already

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Vigormortis said:
Yet, if I even hinted that I thought all console gamers were hormone-crazed, racist 12 year-olds I'd be berated into oblivion for being too judgmental and for "generalizing".
You'd probably also get a warning for being an ass, while all the people calling elitist always get a pass.

Vampire cat

Apocalypse Meow
Apr 21, 2010
The fuck is wrong with people. How is this something to get angry about?! I play exclusively on PC, but I rarely even dare mention that because of the frankly shameful reputation a "PC gamer" has these days. Stop being such bellends already! It's embarrasing to live in the same dimension as you, and I wish you'd all go far away where there is no internet, and burry yourself to your necks in sand.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Waaghpowa said:
Vigormortis said:
You'd probably also get a warning for being an ass, while all the people calling elitist always get a pass.
Yeah I have noticed that double-standard as well. I think I will go ahead and write to the editor about my disapproval of this article's content. It might not do anything but when something is distasteful its best to let them know.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
I honestly do not understand how Andy chalk is still employed by escapist.. Unless Escapistmagazine think its fine to have a contributor lying and trolling the forum.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
GAunderrated said:
Waaghpowa said:
Vigormortis said:
Yeah I have noticed that double-standard as well. I think I will go ahead and write to the editor about my disapproval of this article's content. It might not do anything but when something is distasteful its best to let them know.
Write about the double standard I mentioned as well, maybe we'll start seeing mods shelling out warnings for the PC haters. It's incredibly annoying to have entire threads of people doing nothing but being self righteous assholes, throwing around elitist generalizations and getting away with it.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Sober Thal said:
More reason to never call myself a PC Gamer.

After playing the hell out of Terraria, (and giving away a few copies to people on this website) I took a break. Fired it up some time later, and BAM! tons more content, rinse repeat several times, and I'm sure if I logged on today, there would be even more cool stuff.

But (some) PC gamers aren't happy with that, and they want to rage that consoles get to have some fun too.

Boo friggin Hoo

Probably not, and for the reason I put below:

The only thing I'm upset about is the Terraria devs' decision to stop adding updates to Terraria. I couldn't care less about the console release, it's the lack of updates that has me sad. :(

NvrPhazed

Dec 8, 2010
l3o2828 said:
NvrPhazed said:
l3o2828 said:
NvrPhazed said:
EDIT: You too guy below me.
Oh, i understood it was a joke.
I'm just saying i don't come here for jokes, specially retarded ones.
So the solution is to obviously denigrate a journalist just because you and several people thought a joke he told wasn't funny. Sounds legit.
It's not my fault he keeps doing it.
So the man likes to make slightly (yes slightly [you know what: VERY SLIGHTLY this isn't even a big deal]) inflammatory jokes in a sarcastic way (that's pretty obvious) on his news posts. It sure as hell beats monotonous reading. Most people who hate Andy Chalk hate him because they think it's cool to hate him since veteran escapist members are doing it (oh boy AndyHater101 is hating on Andy Chalk let's do it too) , and don't realize that he does what most of them like to do: "Lighten the mood", and I put that in quotes because it is that important. It seems like the Escapist community can't take a joke anymore without pouring the gas and lighting it.

I'mANinja

Aug 4, 2008
All I have to say is this quote from Totalbiscuits Twitter "Terraria coming to consoles! And everyone yawns at the announcement and moves on since you could run Terraria on a bloody toaster anyway"

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
NvrPhazed said:
l3o2828 said:
NvrPhazed said:
l3o2828 said:
NvrPhazed said:
So the solution is to obviously denigrate a journalist just because you and several people thought a joke he told wasn't funny. Sounds legit.
So the man likes to make slightly (yes slightly [you know what: VERY SLIGHTLY this isn't even a big deal]) inflammatory jokes in a sarcastic way (that's pretty obvious) on his news posts. It sure as hell beats monotonous reading. Most people who hate Andy Chalk hate him because they think it's cool to hate him since veteran escapist members are doing it (oh boy AndyHater101 is hating on Andy Chalk let's do it too) , and don't realize that he does what most of them like to do: "Lighten the mood", and I put that in quotes because it is that important. It seems like the Escapist community can't take a joke anymore without pouring the gas and lighting it.
All i'm going to say is that a person in his position isn't here to make jokes or lighten up the mood, specially with inflammatory comments, them being small or outright trollish.

I think Chalk needs to stop doing comments about Nazi ideals inside of Germany, IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

Jan 27, 2011
I'll be a bit upset if we never get the extra content on the PC.

But otherwise, I'm happy console owners get to play Terraria. It's a fun little game. :p

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
NvrPhazed said:
l3o2828 said:
NvrPhazed said:
l3o2828 said:
NvrPhazed said:
There are perfectly legitimate ways to entertaining without insulting your audience with generalizations and flame comments. I read extra punctuation every week and not once did I feel yatzee make a inflammatory comment towards his audience and its a really good read.

Dusty Donuts

Jul 16, 2009
MrTub said:
I honestly do not understand how Andy chalk is still employed by escapist.. Unless Escapistmagazine think its fine to have a contributor lying and trolling the forum.
I don't see any examples of lying and trolling. First paragraph says Terraria is a big hit and the dev said it would hit it's final bug fix cause he was having a son. (plus stuff about being a better designer/programmer)
Terraria was a pretty big hit as far as indie PC games go
creator Andrew Spinks said he had a new son on the way
Then it says there was an announcement, but people weren't happy about it.
but it's safe to say that the "joy" part of the equation is out the window.
Then it says the facebook page is full of angry people because they think it's a cash grab and that there isn't any indication of more content for PC.
the majority of the anger seems to be directed at the developer's decision to release a "cash grab" console version rather than a proper update for the PC. Fueling that rage is the fact that the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 editions will feature extra content, but there's been no indication that the new material, whatever it may be, will be released for the PC.
Then it says there's some people on the page who aren't angry and people who are overreacting are filling up the page.
There has been some pushback from gamers who think the outraged reaction has gone too far(~~~)but overall, doom, gloom and idiot rage rule the roost.
So he's not trolling and he's not lying.
...Yeah, I read the facebook page. That stuff is ridiculous.
EDIT: Further reading.
At least SOME people are angry about the right thing.
What a fail... I spent 2 days getting excited about the possible news, and its just a console version. Talk about over-hyping something irrelevant to 90% of your CURRENT audience. Thanks for the great game, but seriously let down on the news.