Terraria Goes to Consoles, PC Gamers Go Nuts

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Krantos said:
Nice, because THAT statement won't piss anybody off at all.
People getting pissed off would sorta confirm that, though.
There's a difference between getting pissed because of an Exclusive going multi-platform and getting pissed because someone just insulted you en masse.

If I say "Women have anger issues" does that prove me right when women get mad at me? No. It's a deliberate attempt at baiting.

And frankly, the simple fact that he said it in a "news post" irritates me.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
I'm a PC Gamer and I find both the way this article was written and the way that we're all being linked to a negative vocal minority distasteful.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Huh, I assumed it was a console port to start with, since the controls always felt a lot more appropriate for a controller than a mouse and keyboard. Can't see why anyone would complain about the game being available to more people. As is often the case, I'm led to the conclusion that an awful lot of people are just knobs.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
tehweave said:
As a PC gamer myself, I feel I must jump in on this.

I don't care. It's a good game and would work well on consoles.

Whoo... Glad to let off some steam like that. Sorry to go all "preachy" and stuff. I probably shouldn't have swore so much, but I felt my opinion needed to be stated.
This. So many times this.

Also, woo for generalising topic that is in no way flamebait!

fuzz

Aug 27, 2012
I can kind of understand the reaction. I was pissed when Dark Souls was announced with new content for pc while there was no word of dlc for console players. I felt kind of left out in the cold. Although I wasn't so outraged that I took to facebook and flamed the developer which is just childish.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
And this is why I'm happy for StarBound to be coming out soon.

I loved Terraria. Like, I've sunk a HUGE amount of time into it. And it was really fun. But one of the big points that they sold about the game was "hey, we're gonna update the shit outta this game." And we only really got that one huge update.

Lots of people harass the guy who developed the game for cutting and running - he didn't expect Terraria to sell as much as he did, and when he made a decent amount from it, he decided to leave the game for personal reasons. No logical person can be mad at that. But what happens next is why PC gamers are in a fervor.

He refused to release the source code.

And thats where all the rage has come from. You see, every time Terraria had an update, it saw a HUGE resurgence in players and sales shot through the roof. The lead designer left the project to rot, but not before saying "bbbbbbuuuuuuuttttttttt.... just incase...". He took a game a lot of us cherished, and refused to hand it over to us because of a fear that open source and modding would result in fewer copies sold.

And now, months later, he has the balls to say "Hey, JK. Heres a console port. Now I'm just gonna let this game rot a bit more, without turning over the source code to you guys." I certainly don't think the harassment levied is justifiable in the extremes it currently is, but I feel like people SHOULD be angry. We were promised frequent updates - we didn't get them. The lead developer is refusing to allow people who gave his project life, supported it, and helped distribute it any say in its future, and after the console release, we'll likely see the game rot again.

Look up StarBound my friends. A lot of the same development team behind Terraria is behind this. And its fantastic looking.

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
PC Elitists and console fanboys are detrimental to the progression of the games industry as a whole; like the Dark Souls fiasco, I was pleased others get to experience such a wonderful game. But it's never enough for some people.

Alatar The Red

Aug 10, 2012
Beware! Completely srs bsns article below:

Terraria goes to consoles, Escapist writer decides to troll

Andy Chalk hopping mad that the indie hit Terraria is coming to consoles.

Released now in Sept 2012, the trollish flamebait-editorial "Terraria Goes to Consoles, PC Gamers Go Nuts" was a pretty big hit as far as the escapist forums go, topping the most comments and views charts with roughly 300 replies made during its first day of release and earning a cool $2 along the way. Andy Chalk, the editor behind the article, announced in Sept 2012 that after one edit, development of the article would cease; gamers said they had games to play, and that they wanted to be happy for console gamers and spend some time "gaming and bettering themselves as both gamers and people."

It was a bit of a surprise, then, for Andy Chalk but also cause for much joy when Spinks said in July that he had a "pretty big Terraria-related announcement" coming in the near future; and the announcement itself - that Terraria is "coming soon" to Xbox Live and the PlayStation Network - was an even bigger surprise, but it's safe to say that the "joy" part of the equation grew exponentially.

The Escapist thread is currently not a happy place for escapists, as Andy Chalk is once again demonstrating why he is the respected and even beloved elite of the Escapist community, escapists vent their rage over what they seem to see as a betrayal of... well, something. Most of the comments in Andy Chalk's editorial can't be printed here (it gets a little troll-ish), but the majority of the anger seems to be directed at the PC gamers decision to play on their computers instead of consoles. Fueling that rage is the fact that the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 are ageing and in desperate need of updating, but there's been no indication that the new consoles, whatever they may be, will be released in the coming years.

There has been some pushback from Escapists who think the troll editorial has gone too far, and even one or two who shun Andy Chalk for providing dozens or even hundreds of posts of flamewars for a measly 2 buck article, but overall, doom, gloom and idiot rage rule the roost. It's quite a contrast from yesterday's state of the site, which was marked by hundreds of messages of happiness, appreciation and love from fans.

The thread lock is slated to arrive in early 2013. More information of Andy's editorials can be found on the official Escapist forums or the site itself - but please, try not to embarrass yourself.

--------------------------------------------

As for my own opinion: Well I don't have any problem with the game being on consoles. I paid 10? for Terraria and I've surely got more then enough for my money. It would be sad to see the devs restrict content to consoles only though, especially since PCs don't really need too much optimizations or anything along those lines. If we get some content in the future, even if it's after the console versions I'll be an extremely happy camper.

This is also now something that I can recommend to my console gamer friends who've expressed some interest in Terraria in the past. Looking forward to discussing the game with the guys.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
I don't mind it comming to consoles - but if they're releasing new content, why not also release it for PC?

I mean, assuming that PC and console Terraria-gamers can play together, then giving the PC players something more to toy around wouldn't be that bad of an idea... it could bring the PC players back, to help out the new console players

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Olrod said:
Dear PC gamers: Please explain (in full detail) why making a game that you like, be available to more people, is A Bad Thing.

Or, conversely, you can just STFU.
Okay, sure.
It isn't a bad thing.
Done.

It's just a handful of dumbasses on facebook throwing a fit.
Don't lump all of us with the idiots.
And don't let Andy troll you.

Jun 11, 2008
I can't really see the controls for stuff like grappling hook working well with an analog stick. As long as there is no content exclusive to either version unless it is a restraint due to system specs I don't care. I do wish people would be a little more mature about the PC/console gamer thing. Just because there a few dick head it doesn't mean everyone is like that. If I call myself a console gamer does that mean I am automatically a buttheaded, lazy, racist, homophobic, anti semetic, jew, misogynistic, misanthropist, hermaphrodite idiot that can't work a toaster unless everything is colour coded? No it doesn't. It means I play consoles more than my PC.

Also surprise surprise there are console elitists too this is the sole domain of some arseholes who play on the PC you know? No one should apologise on behalf of PC gamers as these people aren't even gamers they are just dicks. Gamers appreciate games for being games. This is the exact same problem with the Dark Souls game but the fact that there is new content with no official or even directly hinted at release for PC is the problem here. Exactly equivalent issue but lets just hope it ends the same way too.

I am baffled by the fact that there is supposed to be added content that is thus far only mentioned to be in the console versions got omitted from the article.

Bors Mistral

Mar 27, 2009
Andy, I find you've written this article in a very disappointing, almost tabloid way.

Your choice of words make it seem like the conduct of a few rage-heads is representative of the majority of PC gamers, which it plain incorrect. Certainly, being more precise and writing "some PC gamers are hopping mad" or along the line doesn't have the same shock value and inflammatory potential as a broad generalization sounding subheading, but please, do the right thing.

I'm glad the console gamers who somehow do not already have a PC capable of running Terraria will get the possibility to play it. It's an excellent game and it deserves to reach the widest audience possible.

Stripes

May 22, 2012
Its great news that its coming, hopefully it will be good and not quite so weak as the minecraft port.

However PC gamers should be getting this content for free. At the same time im seeing some hypocrisy here, when it was announced the Dark Souls DLC was free for PC gamers I critisized it in the same way and I had everyone here telling me just why I was wrong. Now ive changed my stance but the sentiment here is that PC gamers must get the content for free, but its fine to force console gamers to pay for the Dark Souls DLC. Can someone explain to me how this is not hypocrisy?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Nikolaz72 said:
lacktheknack said:
clippen05 said:
So consoles can have exclusives and PC's can't? Okay. And yeah, PC's are superior. I own three consoles, and they have a place, but they are inferior. You can prefer consoles, and that's fine, that's your preference; preferences are only opinions though. And superiority is based on facts. And objectively, PCs are better; consoles are objectively worse. As in better processor, better RAM, better GPU, more control options, and finally lower priced games. I can't tell you what your favourite is, but you asked for what was superior, I must answer. Oh and "Playing on the couch is better, I like controllers, and I don't like all the hassle of setting things up are all opinions, not facts. Sure, you can use those points in formulating your own opinion of your PREFERENCE, but they can't be used in proving which is SUPERIOR.... \ But let me reiterate incase you didn't get it through your thick little skull: PC is superior objectively, consoles still have a place, and no one is trying to tell you you have to like PC. But this is all beside the point...

You say I am trying to hog the games for PC.. I do not support this nor did I ever state it. I supported Minecraft Xbox Edition and I even own it. It accomplished what a good port should do: expand the audience to people who would otherwise not get to play the game. But should't that go both ways? I merely stated I can agree with some people not liking Terraia being ported as we PC gamers don't get as fair a share of ports. I never said "Terraria should never, ever be ported and the PC master race should hog all the games!!!" I proved this with a list of many exclusives that I'm sure many PC gamers would love to have, just as many console gamers want Terraia. So, one last time, how is it that you can "HOG ALL THE GAMES" but PC gets shit? Oh, and QQ MOAR about your terrible reading comprehension.
I love how you treat me like shit because I prefer consoles, when in reality, all I have is a PC.

Thick little skull? Seriously? U mad? It's easy to dismiss everything you say when you say things like that (even more so when under self-administered false pretense).

I'm fully aware that PCs are superior by definition. This fact has nothing to do with this discussion, meaning your little rant did nothing but make you look like a fool.

And you say you didn't support game-hogging, but that's been the underlying message of every single thing you've typed up to this point: "I'm upset because I have to give up previously exclusive titles to the consoles." You try to justify with "But they don't give us anything!" which is bull. Almost everything I want to play is ported to PC, and your long list of games that haven't is dwarfed by those that have. Then, you accuse ME of saying that PCs can't have exclusives.

clippen05 said:
So consoles can have exclusives and PC's can't? Okay.

After I gave you a list of PC exclusives. Insert generic sarcastic snark here.

You attack MY reading comprehension, but YOU'RE the one projecting into what I write. As I said, I don't even have a console. So... Whoops!

What you're trying to do is justify thousands of PC gamers acting like tantrumming children simply because game companies don't give you enough ports.

Deny it. You can't, because it's what you've been doing.

I, for one, take what I get, and don't support embarrassing *****-fits because I use a product and dislike one of the (few) benefits of a competing product.

Although, I should thank you for the copious mirth I got from your assumptions that I use consoles. Assumptions aren't your friend.
One of the problems with porting total war and starcraft 2 and mmo's and the civilization series. Is that even computers that have 3 times the ram and raw power of the Xbox, tends to lag later in the game (Civ) or in multiplayer (Total War)

As such consoles are simply not powerful enough to run certain PC games (Mostly stradegy games) so I can completely understand why they dont bother with porting them, if they had to cut down units or map or anything in order to make it run on the console, it wouldnt be the same game.

Most games on PC games that would work well with consoles, have been ported.Or will be ported, there are few exceptions. Just look at Elder Scrolls, or heck. Diablo 3 (Which is surely getting a port by the way the damn game is designed) Counter Strike, L4D, TF2..

However, there are plenty of console games that would work well on PC (Every single one of them) that isnt getting ported. Which I think was his point.

TLDR: PC exclusives usually cant even run on consoles, it doesnt work the other way around. The reason that console exclusives exist is because they are paid to keep it exclusive a lot of the time, the other way around is simply because it wouldnt be able to run properly without serious developement in terms of downsizing which would most of the time ruin the game.
Which is undermined by the simple truth that there are dozens of excellent PC exclusives, technical reasons or not.

Think of console exclusives as the balancing reaction to PCs having so many of their own.

Mortamus

The Talking Dead
May 18, 2012
I think the more productive thing in this case is to not complain that the game is going to consoles or that it is a "cash grab". (ERMAHGERD, SOMEONE THAT MAKES THEIR INCOME BY MAKING GAMES IS TRYING TO EARN MORE INCOME BY EXPANDING THEIR GAME'S AVAILABILITY?!?! THE HORROR!)

Instead, complain to the Developers that while you support having the game made more available to non-PC Gamers, that you feel we should receive an update of the same content to the original title. This could easily be marketed alongside the port to get more PC sales.