Terraria Goes to Consoles, PC Gamers Go Nuts

Catrixa

May 21, 2011
There are 4 games I'd recommend to anyone alive, and those are Minecraft, Portal, Portal 2, and Terraria. Now they can all be played by anyone, console or no console (hell, you can play Minecraft if you have a dang smartphone). I don't see how anyone could be pissed about this.

I DO see how people can be upset that the devs quit work on Terraria for the PC, then went and made it better for the consoles, but I'm not up-in-arms about it.

What I will get up-in-arms about is this article's insinuation that I am an elitist asshole, because I grew up on a specific device and am now unable to use other devices due to lack of practice. Honestly, in my daily life, being a primarily PC gamer is more of a hindrance than some sort of amazing social status. Then I come online and am berated for being elitist? At the risk of sounding like a whining elitist PC gamer: this actually kinda hurts. I get it when Sr. Random Internetgoer makes sweeping generalizations about PC gamers (after all, the internet has every type of human on it), but I thought the Escapist Magazine was for all gamers, not just console gamers.

And, for the record, it'd be nice people quit with the whole "console tard" thing as well, but I'm sure that's asking too much.

Stripes

May 22, 2012
BiH-Kira said:
Stripes said:
Its great news that its coming, hopefully it will be good and not quite so weak as the minecraft port.

However PC gamers should be getting this content for free. At the same time im seeing some hypocrisy here, when it was announced the Dark Souls DLC was free for PC gamers I critisized it in the same way and I had everyone here telling me just why I was wrong. Now ive changed my stance but the sentiment here is that PC gamers must get the content for free, but its fine to force console gamers to pay for the Dark Souls DLC. Can someone explain to me how this is not hypocrisy?
PC gamer bought an unfinished, buggy product with little content with a promis that they will get every future update for free. There will be lots of new content, changed. Frequent updates.

Console gamer will get a finished product with extra content.

That's why it's not hypocritical that PC gamer get the content for free. They where promised that they will get it for free.

In DS case, console gamer got a finished product with NO promises at all. They got what they bought.

Also, PC gamer did NOT get the content for free. They payed 40 euro for a game that was less than 30 euro on consoles. The DLC costs 10 euro for consoles. In the end, it's 40 euro for consoles with the DLC.
How is it unfinished? Is it unfinished because they promised more or because people think theres not enough there?

I see little difference here, like I said PC gamers deserve the content for free but the fact of the matter is that most console gamers bought dark souls at the same price that the PC gamers bought it at yet got less. They effectively subsidized the PC gamers DLC. PC gamers have no right to complain when its the other way around.

Arionis

Oct 19, 2008
I myself love any attempt to bring great games to more players, (hell, I've been wanting an AMNESIA for 360 for.....a long time), so, I'm happy to hear this. 8D

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
dangoball said:
Looking back on your post I now realize I quoted the wrong person. My apologies.

However, you must admit that you did use generalized statements about PC gamers. Even if in jest. ;)

CarlMin

Jun 6, 2010
The PC as a gaming platform as grown increasingly more popular lately, with a lot of people switching from consoles to PC now during the end of the console cycle. However, as someone who has played exclusively on a PC for many many years, I can say that the PC community is progressively getting worse with more and more immaturity, ranting, elitism and entitlement permeating the growing community, and as paradoxical as it may seem, it's probably because it's more popular than it once was.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
I don't understand people who get all "B-But the developer promised!" about things the developer promised to do after the game was released. The amount of content in Terraria has been pretty much doubled, if not more. How much stuff do they have to add before you agree that the game is 'done'?

It just boggles my mind that people can be so... Well, greedy about their game content. A developer breaking a 'promise' is bad (although I'd love to see in what form this promise was originally made), but when people happily twist that promise into "You have to make infinite content for us forever", I think they don't have to care any more.

They are literally getting mad over the fact that a game they probably bought months ago... Isn't getting free extra content for them.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Stripes said:
BiH-Kira said:
Stripes said:
Its great news that its coming, hopefully it will be good and not quite so weak as the minecraft port.

However PC gamers should be getting this content for free. At the same time im seeing some hypocrisy here, when it was announced the Dark Souls DLC was free for PC gamers I critisized it in the same way and I had everyone here telling me just why I was wrong. Now ive changed my stance but the sentiment here is that PC gamers must get the content for free, but its fine to force console gamers to pay for the Dark Souls DLC. Can someone explain to me how this is not hypocrisy?
PC gamer bought an unfinished, buggy product with little content with a promis that they will get every future update for free. There will be lots of new content, changed. Frequent updates.

Console gamer will get a finished product with extra content.

That's why it's not hypocritical that PC gamer get the content for free. They where promised that they will get it for free.

In DS case, console gamer got a finished product with NO promises at all. They got what they bought.

Also, PC gamer did NOT get the content for free. They payed 40 euro for a game that was less than 30 euro on consoles. The DLC costs 10 euro for consoles. In the end, it's 40 euro for consoles with the DLC.
How is it unfinished? Is it unfinished because they promised more or because people think theres not enough there?

I see little difference here, like I said PC gamers deserve the content for free but the fact of the matter is that most console gamers bought dark souls at the same price that the PC gamers bought it at yet got less. They effectively subsidized the PC gamers DLC. PC gamers have no right to complain when its the other way around.
Did you just decide to ignore things or does that come naturally to you?

The developer him self said that every update will be free.
The developer him self said that the game is released unfinished and that the profit from sales will be used to finish the game.
The developer him self gave a huge list of promises and he guarantied that they will be in the finished game.

People where buying the game in beta because of the promises he game. The game was barley worth 5$, not to speak 10 euro for which it was sold. But people bought it because the game had potential and they where promised that they will get more later.

When people bought DS, they didn't get ANY promises. They got a full game worth 40 euro. They didn't got a half finished product and a promise for more once the developer get more money.
Console gamer got what they where promised. A finished product. Dark Souls as it is. Not as it might be, not as it will be, but as it is.
Terraria wasn't sold as it is, but as it will be.

Jun 11, 2008
Angry Juju said:
Do you think people will ever be smart enough to realize that flaming an indie developer who doesn't give two shits about the profits he makes and who just wants to leave his mark in the industry, providing a nice, cheap game for people to play is very likely to just make them avoid doing things for the people who flamed him..

I personally would just switch to working exclusively on the console if a bunch of whiny people who bought the game were causing such a pathetic uproar. I don't really see a reason why he shouldn't to. Hell the PC players should just be thankful he's even back to patching Terraria...

So they don't have the time to add stuff/bugfixes for the pc version not even a basic mod api, But they do have time to create a console version?
Seriously if that content is console exclusive screw them, if it isn't and also comes out on pc Forget everything i said.
Stop bitching, I've bought about 10 or so copies of Terraria altogether and gave them to my friends on Steam, and a lot more have just bought the game themselves, and so far the only bug I've heard anyone complain about is NPCs not switching houses properly. The bugs in Terraria aren't severe, and if you think that they are then who cares? Jesus the game costs about $5, just buy it on console if you don't want to suffer the minor bugs.
Wow that is ridiculously short sighted and kinda crappy thing to say. Seriously, think about what you just said. You just said because of a couple or arseholes can't ask nice for a properly worded official statement with all the details on the content the dev should cut off all support to the PC.

On the note of patching no people should not be thankful for a patch a patch is there to solve a problem new content brought in patches yes maybe but not a patch in general. It is a necessity for a game to have patches. I should not be thankful that Bethesda patches the bugs out of Skyrim. However, I would be if a patch included something of a DLC for free. Totally different story and obviously we are more talking about the later here since people are mad about content that has not even been state will not be for PC yet.

Buying 10 copies doesn't make your opinion any better than anyone else's here. I don't even see why you mentioned it. That comment also hardly counts as a *****.

Bugs minor or not if they are going to patches they should be fixed with priority given to game breaking bugs and no one should have to buy a whole new game on a system they may or may not have to get a bug fix. If there are bug fixes in the console version it would be a trivial matter to add them to PC version. Once again nothing has been officially and properly stated on the matter.

Just because a few "people" had a shit hemorrhage due to poor communication on the Devs part doesn't mean they should stop supporting one platform.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
CarlMinez said:
with a lot of people switching from consoles to PC.

I can say that the PC community is progressively getting worse with more and more immaturity, ranting, elitism and entitlement
With having a little fun with the quote (hope you dont get mad) I can see a correlation between a few things you said. I pruned them for you. ;)

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
So... is there anything the PC is losing or not getting? I see people complain that they promised future updates of content and bug fixing... so what's stopping them from doing that AND releasing this console version?

They're not Valve making infinite money off Steam. They gotta keep money coming in somehow to keep satisfying free update after free update only to get backlash when they doing anything else other than another free update.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Awexsome said:
So... is there anything the PC is losing or not getting? I see people complain that they promised future updates of content and bug fixing... so what's stopping them from doing that AND releasing this console version?

They're not Valve making infinite money off Steam. They gotta keep money coming in somehow to keep satisfying free update after free update only to get backlash when they doing anything else other than another free update.
Well no one here is really complaining and no one on the steam forums is either. Its all pretty balanced responses. The only ones who are making a big fuss are the tards on facebook.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2931813

This is the terraria thread in steam forums. Comments there are pretty similar to the ones here.

Edit: also here is an article on the real issue why PC gamers are upset with red that puts Andy's to shame.

http://www.theclosetnerd.com/post/31396904508/reason-for-pc-gamer-rage-over-console-port

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Lumber Barber said:
MrTub said:
Lumber Barber said:
Andy Chalk said:
as PC gamers, once again demonstrating why they are the respected and even beloved elite of the videogaming community, vent their rage over what they seem to see as a betrayal of... well, something
And Andy continues to be the shittiest reporter on the Escapist. Gold star, bud. How many of those nutty PC gamers are there anyways? A thousand? two thousand? Big fucking whoop.
He changed it from this

"The Terraria Facebook page is currently not a happy place as PC gamers, an inherently insecure bunch to begin with, vent their rage over what they seem to see as a betrayal of... well, something"
Andy always has this. It's like PC gamers murdered his family and raped him or something.
Always like this? He's a pc gamer himself(check out his avatar), he just decided to poke fun at pc gamers this time.

It'd be a bigger deal if he were misleading people about a law being passed or about someone dying but this is just about a port, chill out. There's got to be better things in this world to get angry at.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Lumber Barber said:
Andy always has this. It's like PC gamers murdered his family and raped him or something.
When exactly did it become acceptable for people (well, people outside Fox News) to go all extreme on every issue? It's like, if someone doesn't constantly fellate people on every issue, he is their enemy and solidly opposed to everything they believe.

...Which is kind of how we got here in the first place.

"You're paying attention to consoles? Well, I'm going to throw a tantrum now."

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Krantos said:
If I say "Women have anger issues" does that prove me right when women get mad at me? No. It's a deliberate attempt at baiting.
He calls gamers insecure and they behave in an insecure fashion. That's not quite the same as women "getting mad," it's people actually behaving from a consistent root cause.

Also, it's hardly "baiting." Dude does this to console gamers. Hell, the SITE does it to console gamers a lot, and somehow its only when PC gamers get the rare barb that someone loses their shit.

Why exactly is that?

I mean, using your example, you would piss off both men and women if you said to them "(your respective gender) has anger issues."

So why aren't Console kiddies, the ones often painted as immature dudebros, the ones stomping a mudhole in Andy and the Escapist?

Augustine

Jun 21, 2012
I'm guessing, the backlash is due to the console release being a likely reason for Starbound's lack of substantial progress updates. The integrity of the developer was already tarnished by his bail-out on the Terraria updates(continuous application of which was advertised as one of the features).
I would say, while his community may be overreacting, I am not going to blame them for doing so - in the spirit of "fool me once..." principle.