Terraria Goes to Consoles, PC Gamers Go Nuts

gNetkamiko

Aug 25, 2010
I'm glad that it's going to be played by console gamers, if only to see the creative things that they can do with it.

I've only played the PC version, myself, but since I've already got top gear and my sky-base of awesome, and since the devs have abandoned the game, I've pretty much resigned myself to purchasing Starbound as soon as it's released.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I have not read through the many pages of this thread, but as far as I'm concerned I think that console based controls could suit Terraria well and it is good that the game was popular enough to get a console release.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
Most PC gamers, like most people in general, are almost completely retarded. I'd like to say this surprises me as a result, but I would be lying.

The only thing worse than people being so selfish and exclusivist as to be upset about a game they like being enjoyed by more people is that most of them lack the decency to realize how completely absurd their reaction is and indeed think they have something to be legitimately upset about.

On an unrelated note, I'm curious as to how they'll adapt the game to a controller.

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
Fair play to them for expanding, can't for the life of me figure out how the controls will work on a gamepad though, I predict it will be very fiddly.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Vigormortis said:
Because, most of the time, the only insults tossed at the console gamers comes from the forum community, not the site owners/operators/writers.
lolno.

I read many of the articles written for this site. It's an extraordinarily rare thing to see someone "poke fun at" or insult console gamers in their news post.
Only in the same sense that Andy Chalk, a PC gamer, hates PC games and always slams them and acts like...I may not get the act words, but this was the sentiment..."PC games murdered his family and raped him."

Fredvdp

Apr 9, 2009
I'm amazed by the rage that can ensue when a game is announced to be released on a different platform. This reminds me of the time that Mass Effect 2 for PS3 was announced. So-called fans simply lost it. I guess this is because people want to protect their platform of choice since they paid good money for it. I'm not like that myself. I only care about what games I can play, not what games others can't play.

Jowe

May 26, 2010
Well I'm just wondering how they are going to do the control scheme for consoles, not exactly easy to do a 2D mining game with analogue stick I would have thought.

Anyway OT I don't care, I bought the game for £1.24 or something, and have spent over 100 hours on it, definitely worth it. I personally think they deserve the extra revenue they'll get from the console market, and I hope it goes well for them.#

Fliegar

Jun 7, 2010
I'm a little angry that the players who own the PC version don't even get the option to pay for the new content to play it on the PC itself. I love the fact that more people are going to be allowed to play it, and there's a chance that I might even buy it if the controls manage to work. I'd rather have the option to purchase some new content for the PC version as well, is all.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Zachary Amaranth said:
Vigormortis said:
Because, most of the time, the only insults tossed at the console gamers comes from the forum community, not the site owners/operators/writers.
lolno.

I read many of the articles written for this site. It's an extraordinarily rare thing to see someone "poke fun at" or insult console gamers in their news post.
Only in the same sense that Andy Chalk, a PC gamer, hates PC games and always slams them and acts like...I may not get the act words, but this was the sentiment..."PC games murdered his family and raped him."
Instead of just dismissively "loling" at my post, can you actually provide any examples of a time or article in which a site writer or contributor made generalized, blanket statements (of an insulting nature) about console gamers?

Sure, I've seen plenty of times when they made an insulting quip about a small group within the console gaming community, but I can't recall a single time when a comment was made about the console community as a whole. At least, no where near the caliber of Mr. Chalks, "...PC gamers, an inherently insecure bunch".

And, even if he is a PC gamer himself, it doesn't automatically excuse his remarks. Even if they were made in jest, they were still inflammatory and very unprofessional. It paints a bad image of the "integrity" of the site, given the statements were made in a news post. Namely because it's clear they were made simply to drum up views and heated discussion.

For the record, I would be just as bothered by the remarks made in the news post if they had been towards console gamers.

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
CriticKitten said:
Andy Chalk said:
The Terraria Facebook page is currently not a happy place as PC gamers, an inherently insecure bunch to begin with, vent their rage over what they seem to see as a betrayal of... well, something.
So how's your attempt to get a job at Fox News going?

What an absolutely blatant and shameless nerd-bait attempt. Get off your damn high horse, Andy, because there are elitists in every single gaming format. PC gamers merely get the raw end of that deal because they are used to significantly higher standards and expectations.

I'm calling this article out for what it is: baiting with misleading and downright false information.

There are always people who will rage at everything, but I'm somewhat in doubt that every single complaint about Terraria coming to consoles is purely doing it because "boo hoo it's no longer a PC exclusive game". I play games on my PC, and I'm happy for the console gamers because Terraria is a very fun game. But let's be honest, PC gamers aren't just mad because the game is coming to consoles.

I'm betting it has a lot more to do with the fact that Terraria had a massive laundry list of promised updates and bug fixes, all of which were abandoned at the drop of a hat by the game's developers. And then suddenly, out of the blue, they announce that they're releasing the game to consoles and they're going to give the console version several pieces of exclusive content which the PC gamers may never end up receiving at any point in time. To the people who bought the game when it was just a fledgling indie title, yeah, it probably DOES feel a bit like a betrayal, because it's those people on Steam who threw in their ten bucks that Terraria became what it is today. Terraria and its devs owe their entire success story to a game and a playerbase that they effectively ditched without a formal explanation and with many promises left unfulfilled. Hell, if not for its success on Steam, it would likely not be getting this big console release at all. So the people who helped make them big are being ignored while the devs move to focus and cater to a group of players who (for the most part) have no clue what their game is? I can see why some PC gamers would be pissed about that. How the writer of this article missed out on these things is just baffling to me.

How about some journalistic integrity for next time?
Seconded. This article is really not particularly accurate, given that it doesn't explain the actual reason for people being annoyed at the developers.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
The Lunatic said:
ThunderCavalier said:
So much for PC gamers showing that they're a dignified, respectful, and mature part of the gaming community that can cope with the fact that some PC games are branching out to console audiences to reach a wider market.
People on facebook are being stupid, therefore all people are stupid?

Interesting logic.

I guess by that logic, All Americans are xenophobic racists based upon the "Pearl Harbour Revenge" facebook posts that saw news earlier.

There are people being rational about getting screwed over.

They're still getting screwed over, however.
Sorry, I didn't mean to make it look like I was generalizing an entire community.

But really, a community's voice is the most vocal one, so whether these guys are the minority or not, they're the ones getting the attention.

Sadly, idiots attract a bigger bonfire than a bunch of silent, rational people. ... Why the fuck else does CoD still have an audience?

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Krantos said:
Um, how so?

Console gamers get insulted. They lose their shit.

PC gamers get insulted. They lose their shit.

Seems pretty equivalent to me.
Demonstrate a similar level of people losing their shit. Give me comparable instances like this Terraria thread or the Dark Souls "controversy."
[a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119604-Gamers-Rage-About-Bayonetta-2-on-Wii-U"]*cough*[/a]

Front page of the escapist there. Bayonetta was a 360/PS3 exclusive. Never saw a PC release, so all the rage is coming from console owners at this point.

coolkirb

Jan 28, 2011
Between this and Bayonetta one could begin to lose faith in gamin in general. I mean it is getting harder and harder not to type cast everyone as self-entiteld whiners.

Gameguy20100

Sep 6, 2012
Ive never really got this whole Pc vs consle war mainly because i play on both but i guess every war has its traiters

Kouen

Yea, Furry. Deal With It!
Mar 23, 2010
Seen much worse rage than this from console players to be honest lol

I checked the links and while this news post tries to make "PC Gamers" out to be spitting fire and hurling abuse with threads in the 1000's...

It's not...

There's some disgruntled PC Players oh yes! and I can see somewhat why, But seriously?

I'm mostly a PC Gamer but I play consoles too, I have noticed some people here saying sorry for other PC gamers actions and comments... I'm not, reason being its not any where remotely close to bad as this Andy makes it out to be.

When I read the article I had to make a Double take on the URL make sure I was reading The Escapist and not Kotaku.

JoshuaMadoc

Sep 3, 2008
I don't think anyone here realizes that the console port is being handled by 505 Games.

No, really. I don't care that they published ArmA games. The rest of their track record is pretty telling of their (in)competence.

You know what the worst thing about this particular circumstance is? Gaslamp Games offered to take over development, and Tiy and Blue were in favour. Redigit? IGNORED them.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
-Dragmire- said:
Lumber Barber said:
MrTub said:
Lumber Barber said:
Andy Chalk said:
as PC gamers, once again demonstrating why they are the respected and even beloved elite of the videogaming community, vent their rage over what they seem to see as a betrayal of... well, something
And Andy continues to be the shittiest reporter on the Escapist. Gold star, bud. How many of those nutty PC gamers are there anyways? A thousand? two thousand? Big fucking whoop.
He changed it from this

"The Terraria Facebook page is currently not a happy place as PC gamers, an inherently insecure bunch to begin with, vent their rage over what they seem to see as a betrayal of... well, something"
Andy always has this. It's like PC gamers murdered his family and raped him or something.
Always like this? He's a pc gamer himself(check out his avatar), he just decided to poke fun at pc gamers this time.

It'd be a bigger deal if he were misleading people about a law being passed or about someone dying but this is just about a port, chill out. There's got to be better things in this world to get angry at.
These folk are angry because he bent the truth about a story and made a generalisation about an entire subculture (PC gamers) in order to generate hits for his article. The fact that he is a PC gamer himself doesn't suddenly give him the right to represent all of them in such statements.

It's not relevant what the subject matter of the article is either. If a journalist's integrity is in question then that integrity becomes dubious from then on, not just for every other article he writes, but for every other article in that publication as well. Most of us want The Escapist to do well, but how can it, if it relies on short term shock tactics to get hits? How can it do well if half its articles really are just jokes or troll posts "poking fun" at certain subcultures?

I don't know about you, but I come to The Escapist for deep, meaningful, interesting articles about the gaming industry. I've seen some great pieces of that kind in this magazine. Seeing Chalk take this direction quite often, often making articles with a conservative bent designed to enrage left wing people does not warm me to what he's doing for the magazine. Bias is a serious issue that the magazine should address, and more thoroughly than it has been.

In my opinion as a fan of this site, it risks selling its legitimacy for a few site hits every time it grants Chalk article space.

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:
This seems very familiar...

So familiar.

I just can't put my finger on it...

I think it rhymes with Hark Rolls.
I've been thinking "Bayonetta". It's almost the same issue. Honestly, what is so horrible about console ports, these days? Why shouldn't more people be allowed to play on their preferred platform?