Terraria - I'm bad at this game, and I need some Pointers!

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
Ok I recently bought the indie sensation Terraria, now available on Steam for 9.99

and I am confused as hell.

ok bad start, alright here is where I am up to in my world. I currently have a 1 level house, and i have just created a house on top of it so it's directly on top. but I'm still confused about a few things, what are the tips about getting stronger weapons, pickaxes, and i mean at the basic level.

EDIT: oh and i do have Wood Walls. Im not that retarded. :S

cryogeist

Apr 16, 2010
to get better stuff
run into a cave with no money getting as much shit as you can
eventually you get good enough stuff to fight with
also a home for NPCs is some kind of light
a table
and a chair
here's a wiki for it http://wiki.terrariaonline.com/Terraria_Wiki

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
1. Kill slimes, you'll need the Gel.
2. Chop trees while killing slimes, collect wood.
3. Build a house on your spawn point from that wood, make sure to make a background wall too.
4. Use some of that Gel and Wood to make torches, light the house.
5. Make a workbench, place it.
6. Make a door, place it.
7. Explore, being especially on the lookout for metal ores.
8. Collect stone, wood, and more gel, and make a furnace when you return home.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
It's a bad game... don't play it. It requires a CONSIDERABLE time investment... and I mean CONSIDERABLE. Plus, it's the only game I've ever played where the sound design has actually made me mad.

Just stick to Minecraft. Terraria isn't really worth it.

F4LL3N

May 2, 2011
Stall said:
It's a bad game... don't play it. It requires a CONSIDERABLE time investment... and I mean CONSIDERABLE. Plus, it's the only game I've ever played where the sound design has actually made me mad.

Just stick to Minecraft. Terraria isn't really worth it.
I can "finish" it in a day or two. It's really easy. Tips:

1. Play on a small map. It makes exploration more fun and less tedious.
2. Before first nightfall, get plenty of wood and gel. Build a house for the night and torches. Otherwise you can go exploring before building a house. Build your house near the spawn or make a bed so you spawn in your house. Also get some chests to store all the items you're not using for exploration. Once you get a stone house, build enough rooms for all the NPCs. The miners helmet helps with exploration, so get that as soon as possible.
3. Mine ore and look for chests.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
F4LL3N said:
I can "finish" it in a day or two. It's really easy. Tips:
Really? I mined for like 2 hours without finding that much. I suppose I was just unlucky then.

Either way, the sounds make me want to punch something. Thank god for mute buttons.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Stall said:
Really? I mined for like 2 hours without finding that much. I suppose I was just unlucky then.

Either way, the sounds make me want to punch something. Thank god for mute buttons.
Aye. The music just broke my brain after a while. Just turn the music off, turn the standard sound volume down, and put something on in the background instead.

Also, if you're playing on the latest build, you will literally TRIP over veins of silver and gold in the freaking DIRT LAYER. I had a full set of Silver equipment on a fresh character (with a fresh world) in under a freaking HOUR before.

OT: The shit I've built has made it mostly worthwhile; it's more directly involved than Dwarf Fortress, and playing CTF/Deathmatch with custom-built forts is pretty damn fun (backup your world saves before starting; dynamite is usually involved).
If you prefer the 2D sprite-style to Minecraft's "Blockville" then it fits.

Hell, Notch even said that new builds of Minecraft are likely going to include features that were, uh, "inspired" by Terraria.

ORDER OF OPERATIONS FOR NEW CHARACTERS:

1) Find a good spot for a house. Look for nearby surface water for future convenience, and possibly defense.
2) Chop trees by the truckload. Build a work bench and some wood paneling (and some doors), then get a cabin built before your first night. BE SURE TO BUILD AT LEAST A WOODEN HAMMER BEFORE YOU GO SPELUNKING.
The Heart Crystals (that increase your max life permanently) require a hammer to gather.

2a) (there is an event called a "Blood Moon" that can randomly happen that will power up the zombies so that they can force open your doors. To combat this, either use a barricade on the inside of the door, or just build your door two squares above the even ground. The zombies can't reach the door then, but you can still use it)

3) LOOK FOR SURFACE CHESTS. These have intro-grade gear in them. The best of which by far is a Spear, because it can hit a stack of enemies with one attack, pushing them away from you. Kill Slimes for gels to craft torches. BE SURE YOU BRING PLENTY OF TORCHES (at least 30; preferably 99.)

4) Make a dive into a nearby cave, look for ores and stone. You want to aim for iron primarily to make your Furnace and Anvil.

From this point onward, you now know at least the basics to play. Try to get a Merchant to spawn (you need to provide living quarters and have at least 50 silver on your person). Explore, and experiment. Craft stuff, and start your super-projects.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
Atmos Duality said:
Aye. The music just broke my brain after a while. Just turn the music off, turn the standard sound volume down, and put something on in the background instead.

Also, if you're playing on the latest build, you will literally TRIP over veins of silver and gold in the freaking DIRT LAYER. I had a full set of Silver equipment on a fresh character (with a fresh world) in under a freaking HOUR before.
The thing that got to me were the zombie noises. The constant GRRAH and UURGH during the night...AHH JUST MAKE IT STOP! The repetitive music also is pretty bad as well. It really makes you appreciate how nice the sound design, especially the music, is in Minecraft is heh.

OT: One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the joy that is wooden platforms. They are the single most amazingly useful thing for mining EVER. They make moving around your mineshafts and natural caves so much easier, so always carry around a stack and throw them down at will. You don't need a workbench to make them, and they only cost one wood, so don't be frugal. The same goes for torches... don't be frugal with the gel and wood, since it is so common.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
A good tip for mining is to make a "Hellevator", which is basically a 2 block wide shaft going straight down into the earth with a pool of water, or a bunch-o cobwebs to catch you and stop you from splatting.
I wouldn't go too deep right off the bat though since you might get wrecked, and be careful about dropping into unexplored caves and smooshing on the ground below.

You will run into a big cave system reasonably quickly, and find a fair bit of stuff just mining downwards.
You can make it 3 wide if you want to add in wooden platforms to get back up, or just log out, log in if you don't consider that an exploit.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
If you are playing by yourself, it takes a long time before you start getting some of the really good shit. Once you hit your gold weapons, it kinda stays there for a while.

Playing on a small map is kind of a must, despite that sounding kinda backwards.

Everybody else seems to be giving pretty good tips. Also, remember to put your money in a chest everytime you go back to spawn. You lose a surprising amount everytime you die.